DISH may drop the CBS affiliate for the Huntington/Charlston WV market June 30 or July 1

Dish cannot import any station into a different market unless that market does not have that affiliate. Retransmission issues do not allow a provider to import a different station

Here is an example where Dish CAN give you a different affiliate
Parkersburg, WV which only has NBC & Fox in the market. Dish was giving them CBS from Weston (WDTV) and the ABC in Clarksburg (WBOY-DT2). Since WBOY-DT2 got pulled Dish IS allowed to import a neighboring ABC in this case from Charleston

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Parkersburg, WV

But this is different. The ABC affiliate is part of the ones dropped. Since Parkersburg doesn't have an ABC affiliate they shouldnt be penalized by having a neighboring station getting removed. SO they gave Parkersburg a different neighboring ABC

I didnt know Dish gave Boston folks the NY CBS when WBZ went down...interesting

I hope dish keeps WCHS as a long term replacement in my area (Parkersburg, WV - Marietta, OH) WCHS has always been on the cable system here locally. Also with the departure of WBOY for WCHS I once again get my Ring of Honor fix on the weekends.

I assume Dish tries to keep the missing affiliates (if a market doesnt have one) from the same area and in this case they normally carry the ABC & CBS from the same market there. But maybe they'll keep it that way :)

I am surprised that they put WBOY ABC from Clarksburg in the Parkersburg market. That station is further away than ABC and the cable companies do not supply Clarksburg, they supply Charleston/Huntington in the Parkersburg market along with Parkersburg's channels.

They supply WDTV from Clarksburg which is the CBS affiliate (and has a construction permit to put a translator in Parkersburg on Channel 2) so thats probably why

Dish doesnt have to follow what cable does. Another reason they pick differently is spot beam. Great example is Glendive, MT. Its a CBS main NBC subchannel market. Cable gets Great Falls ABC & Fox but the spotbeam doesn't cover there so they (Glendive) gets ABC & Fox from Rapid City, SD which makes NO sense as Bismark/Mandan/Minot/Dickinson North Dakota market is on same spotbeam as Rapid City and they could use those stations (there is an analog translator of the NBC in Minot in Glendive so it would make more sense to use those)

The latest from Don Hammond at WOWK in his facebook post ...

WOWK 13 NEWS
Hi don hammond here...I would like to thank those who know all of us here in the newsroom are continuing to do our job to the best of our ability despite the situation with dish. But, for those who are attacking our integrity and professionalism during this painful time...those jabs are not going to go unanswered. All of us have been working above an beyond and care deeply about those who we serve. But you have to know today when i was interviewing an 88 year old ww2 veteran in Alum Creek about how his wife almost died during the storm I was not at the same time conducting negotiations with Dish. I was doing my job as a journalist. I will be back to Alum Creek next week to help the veteran with some of his storm damage. I ,like you, hope the dish situation is worked out by then. But if not I will keep on doing my job as i am sure you will too. If you need help with your storm damage because you don't have the means to manage that on your own contact me at 304-395-3702 or friend me by searching don hammond wowk on fb and message me. I do jobs free of charge in the morning before I go to work in the afternoon. They air every monday night at 7 and 11. it's called "let don do it" ...don hammond

The latest message from WOWK on their Facebook page ...

WOWK 13 NEWS
?"West Virginia Media's negotiations with DISH continue. Any substantial updates on the situation will be posted when they are made available. Our management understands your concerns and is willing to listen to them. Please feel free to share your thoughts by commenting on this post or posting on our wall. In an effort to keep our Facebook page a useful source of news and information, all DISH-related comments posted on un-related posts will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation."

Hmm, interesting they actually removed WBOY - DT2 (ABC) from the EPG guide today and left WCHS in the Parkersburg, WV/Marietta, OH market. I hope it stays that way so I can continue to watch the weekly Ring of Honor program. With my luck next week it'll be back to WBOY.

http://www.dish.com/entertainment/channels/local/ if I go here and type in my zipcode it actually lists WCHS as the local network instead of WBOY. Not sure when the change was made on the website though as I never checked during the dispute.

Last edited:
I think Charleston DMA channels are actually more suitable than Clarksburg for the Parkersburg DMA. They should leave WCHS.

Hmm, interesting they actually removed WBOY - DT2 (ABC) from the EPG guide today and left WCHS in the Parkersburg, WV/Marietta, OH market. I hope it stays that way so I can continue to watch the weekly Ring of Honor program. With my luck next week it'll be back to WBOY.

and ironically within a month or so you'll have a local CBS
New CBS Affiliate Coming To Mid-Ohio Valley

On or about September 1st, the new CBS station will be launched in HD on WIYE-TV, digital channel 47. The call letters of WIYE were selected because of their similarity to the word "eye," in reference to the CBS logo. WIYE will also carry My5 as a side channel.

At about the same time, FOX Parkersburg will move to WOVA-TV. That way, folks who receive television signals free, over-the-air, will be able to see it in HD. Currently, as a side channel to WTAP, FOX Parkersburg is only offered in standard definition. The letters "OVA" are meant to stand for Ohio Valley.

WTAP's NBC station will continue to be on digital channels 15.1. Our new PinPoint Weather Channel will move up to channel 15.2.

So in a nutshell
CBS is coming to new station
Fox is moving from a subchannel to a main channel (and in HD)...
My is moving from subchannel of NBC to subchannel of CBS

Whether Dish carries them in HD is up to an agreement
Directv right now carries NBC & Fox from Pksbg in HD.....CBS & ABC is from Columbus, OH

as long as Dish carries the stations in HD you can use PTAT

Yep that's what I meant, I was just being positive about it since when CBS is launched and FOX moves from a digital substation to an actual station all three Parkersburg locals will be broadcast in HD over the air instead of just the NBC affiliate and WCHS is already carried in HD by Dish. So i'm just speculating that it looks like HD and Primetime Anytime could be a possibility in the future.

oh I agree
so right now there is a HD feed of the Fox subchannel just not OTA? Thats where I got confused when reading the press release but it sounded like the Fox is only in SD now and will move to a new station and be in HD (which is smart)
The only drawback of the 2 new stations OTA wise is they are low powered so they can only be at 15,000 watts. WTAP is at 47000 watts. Their OTA coverage may not be much outside of Parkersburg....but if that area is mountainous it may not matter outside of there ;)

I noticed Directv says with locals you get NBC & Fox in HD from Parkersburg and CBS & ABC from Columbus, OH in HD too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)