Dish Menu "HDTV Setup"

deck797

Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Probably a stupid question...When I go to "HDTV Setup" on the setup menu (I have a 622), what should I choose for "analog type" and "TV type"? I have a new Samusung 1080p. This is all new to me...thx for helping.

I believe the setting for "analog type" only applies to the "ANT IN/CABLE IN" connection on the back. Are you using an off-air antenna to get digital locals. I'll guess that you're not.

What are the options under "TV Type" ? I don't recall....

There is a HELP button on that screen, isn't there ? I'll bet it has quite useful information.

TV type should be set to 1080i, this is the highest resolution for Dish.

This is correct. A funny note about that setting: My Dish installer told my wife not to set it any higher than 480i because it would hurt the tv. Do they not get any training concerning HDTV? :rolleyes: (I wonder how many people actually have HDTV's, but are not watching them in HD?)

yeah, the installer that came to my house did not set the resolution, he did not even mention that I needed to change the resolution. He set it all up and tunes to an HD channel and says "wow, look at that picture!" The resolution was set at 480i the whole time! I think it defaults to the 480i setting on new receivers. Looks much better at 1080i, lol

yeah, the installer that came to my house did not set the resolution, he did not even mention that I needed to change the resolution. He set it all up and tunes to an HD channel and says "wow, look at that picture!" The resolution was set at 480i the whole time! I think it defaults to the 480i setting on new receivers. Looks much better at 1080i, lol

If all else fails, refer to the users manual. There's a lot of helpful setup info that is designed to help the user AND the un-trained installer...

This is correct. A funny note about that setting: My Dish installer told my wife not to set it any higher than 480i because it would hurt the tv. Do they not get any training concerning HDTV? :rolleyes: (I wonder how many people actually have HDTV's, but are not watching them in HD?)

One shocking statistic that I observed in the last half of 2006 (from over 600 service calls) was this:
Of all HD systems encountered, only 4 :eek: !!!! actually were watching HDTV!
AND, only ONE of those calls was a call concerning picture quality. That call was from a couple spoiled by the HD and wanting the SD to be as good!

The default setting on the receivers is actually 480P, which is enhanced definition and a definite step up from SD, but not HD. It is obviously enough increase in picture quality for many people to think that's it. (Even installers! :()

I'm certain that a large % of the latest generation of flatscreen buyers are enjoying their HD programming from SD only sources. The public is very much confused with the transition from analog to digital and many are assuming that all digital signals are in HD. I find this especially from customers that decided to buy at the club membership box stores. Boy are they surprised when they stumble upon a satellite HD demonstration.

Thanks Hall...The "Analog Type" list four choices...I chose cable...what's HRC, IRC?

The TV type lists: 1080i, 480p, 480i, 720p...I chose 1080i, yet at times I really don't feel like I'm watching HD (on a HD station) at all...it's the broadcast I assume.

Then there's an Aspect Ratio choice, 16x9, 4x3#1, 4x3#2, which has me a bit confused. Is 16x9 the same as 16:9 that's a feature of my TV?

From Yahoo Answers:

"HRC" is harmonically related carriers. "IRC" is incrementally related carriers. These are ways the cable company can modulate the video signal to improve the quality of thier analog transmission.
Yeah, you want 16x9. What programs do you feel aren't HD?

Do you have an OTA antenna hooked up to your receiver, cable programming, or neither?

Neither. Does "cable" refer to non-satellite providers? Do I need to be concerned about HRC,IRC. I just pay Dish for the HD locals, so I'll never use an antenna probably.

Just watched Seinfeld, and was flipping between SD & HD and could see little difference. Maybe it's the 1992 filming, or doe that make any difference?

The "Analog Type" setting means NOTHING unless you have something hooked into the ANT IN/CABLE IN input connection.

Seinfeld is NOT in HD. You were watching a stretched SD program. In fact, the "HD" version should have looked *worse*.

TV type should be set to 1080i, this is the highest resolution for Dish.

No, not correct. If you have a 720p set, 1080i isn't going to do anything for you other than force your TV to scale the image. Best advice is to try both 720p and 1080i and see what looks best (if you can tell a difference).

Neither. Does "cable" refer to non-satellite providers? Do I need to be concerned about HRC,IRC. I just pay Dish for the HD locals, so I'll never use an antenna probably.

I thought the same thing for 3 months - unfortunately.

Then I plugged in a little tiny stick antenna that I had laying around, just for fun - it doesn't even fit on fully - and I suddenly got 12 extra OTA channels in full HD that weren't provided by Dish, and I could record 3 things at a time (one OTA and 2 Dish) on one VIP722.

Pretty sweet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)