Dish Model 811 - P2.89 Software Update

Barry,

I don't think that's what's being described. Ground loop is seen as a slow moving line moving through the picture.

The "jumpy video" being described, I've seen as erratic motion where fluid motion should be present. This points to some type of software or hardware issue with the MPEG decoder.

Cheers,

sixone said:
Just got an 811. It has the P2.89 update. I have 2 issues:

1) When I bring up the Program Guide and press right (to view upcoming shows) all of the blocks display "No Info" and the preview window goes black. When I clear the guide the screen is also black! However if I view the guide again I get my display back.

2) I don't have any guide data for my local OTA channels (they're on 61.5 which I have).

Any suggestions?

sixone,
I noticed exact same problem since getting the new release(2.89), guide says no info and locks up. I can hit view tv to get out of it. Get black screen, can change to different ch. # and get video, then switch back. Hitting guide again gives no info. This has happened twice since getting 2.89. The only fix is to unplug 811 and reboot, that I can find.

Not to worry folks. I got a response from Dish to my email.

They are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

Whew. Now I can sleep at night.

Any clues as to when the next upgrade adventure begins? 2.90 or whatever it will be.

2.89 has been a big step backwards for me and many others posting on this forum. The guide is full of No Info's and lockups, Dolby Digital was solid and now cuts out on digital OTA, picture goes to black screen, reboots, still sometimes have black and white pictures after channel switching - a problem I've seen since December 2003 on multiple 811's.

When 2.84 came out I really thought Dish was converging to a stable product, and I wonder how they can release this 2.89 slop.

keith said:
Any clues as to when the next upgrade adventure begins? 2.90 or whatever it will be....
I hope that the 811 goes away, and that the 411 replacement is based on the 942. That seems to be the most stable HD receiver E* has today.

Hey guys, I found out something interesting overnight last night. I record a lot of stuff to a DVR and while recording ShoHD last night, I started getting video breakups. This has happens quite a bit lately and I was blaming the 811. Interestingly, I had left the machine on overnight and when the next recording started at 5 am, it was still tuned to ShowHD with the blocky video, then it switched to MonstersHD and the video was fine.

My question: Is there a problem with ShowHD or the transponder it is on? Now that I think back, all the jerky video issues I've had have been with ShowHD since I record a lot of it. Anyone know? I haven't seen any posts about it around here anywhere.

Thanks.

Well, forget what I just said about ShowHD, I was watching HEART: Alive in Seattle on HDNET while typing the last post and when I went back out to watch it, the video was jerky and tuning up/down fixed it.

COME DISH, THIS BOX IS FRICKEN LAME, FIX IT ALREADY!!!

I'm ready to throw this POS in the garbage! I was recording the second showing of Heart: Alive in Seattle tonight on HDNET and 53 minutes in to the show, the GDPOS started breaking up then lost audio. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

DarrellP said:
I'm ready to throw this POS in the garbage! I was recording the second showing of Heart: Alive in Seattle tonight on HDNET and 53 minutes in to the show, the GDPOS started breaking up then lost audio. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Mine did the same thing. As much as I am frustrated with the 2.89 software on the 811, I don't think this was a receiver problem. I checked the signal strength during the outage and at one point it read 0 then fluctuated in the low 50's before finally returning to normal. Looks like a source, up-link, or satellite related glitch.

NightRyder

I think it was the satellite feed.
I was watching HD last night at around the same time (waiting for the shuttle landing on HD), starting around midnight PST, satellite feed from the HD channels started dropping (reminiscent of my OTA reception). NASA (SD) was fine. Went to the install screen and I was definitely getting a red from 110.

I now only use my 811 to pick up local HDTV OTA feeds (disconnected in Dish's eyes).. haven't used it in several weeks, but I just turned it on and got the sw update...my long time problem, working ac3/pcm with my Kenwood receiver, is now fixed! I haven't used it that much so can't say anything about video issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)