Dish mounting options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kush19

Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Hello all. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this so please accept my apology if not.

I'm planning on moving at the end of the month and the patio of the apartment that I'm moving into faces west. The way the building is built the wall to the left side of the patio extends out about 3 ft farther than the rail of the patio. My concern is the dish may not have a clear enough view of the southern sky to pickup all of my HD channels.

My current apt allowed me to have the dish clamped to the rail but my new complex requires that the dish be on a tripod. I do think the dish would be able to point southwest, however, I don't know if the angle would be enough. Can anyone tell me if there's a such thing as a tripod with an extension to it that will allow the dish to extend over the rail or provide any other potential solutions?

Any information would be greatly appreciated... :)

Just an idea…

A muffler shop might be able to bend a slip on extension to mate to a standard tripod (expand or shrink the pipe to fit). I am thinking of something like an S-bend and painted to match the tripod (make it look like you bought a standard product). Bolt thru the tripod and slip-on so that it won’t spin on the shaft. Bolt the tripod to heavy plywood and counterweight with cinderblocks.

Remember, you have to balance the weight of the dish PLUS wind loading. You don’t want this mount rocking or spinning as you will walk off of the satellite pointing and loose picture.

Do you have a large glass window pointing in the direction you need? Mount the dish inside. Probably not a popular idea but it works. Remove metal screens.

You already have the system put your zipcode into the receiver (menu6-1-1) and get the compass heading you need to see the satellites. If it dosen't work look for a different apartment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)