Dish Network 34" monitor issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

csalmon

Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
I just picked up the deal on the 34" Dish Network (RCA) HDTV monitor and 921 receiver. After watching for a few days and going through several iterations of calibration with the Avia DVD, I have an issue.

There is a lot of ghosting when there are images on the screen that contain dark color areas next to a light or white area. This ghosting looks like a sort of light blue halo in the lighter areas next to the dark areas (almost like the blue is out of focus). Any suggestions for helping this would be greatly appreciated. The monitor seems otherwise pretty good, nice detail and sharp image, just that sometimes there are small blue halos surrounding light images.

Also, has anyone been able to get this monitor into "service mode"? There are several geometry details I would like to adjust and can only be done in this mode. I have tried the standard RCA hold menu while pressing power then vol+ and it does not work. Again, any help is appreciated.

FYI, the model no on this monitor is HD34-310.

Thanks

Service Menu:
Turn off the TV, and press/hold Vol- and Chan- until it turns on.

I suggest writing down all the settings before you start. Geometry changes requre checking the save box on the 2nd screen for changes to stick.

With the geometry up, the selected input can be changed without exiting (480 and 1080 are saved separarately).

Unfortunately, there is no vertical up/down when in 1080i (there is amplitude/size only). I still had trouble with overscan on the bottom of the screen until I remembered I could also adjust up/down from the 921.

VELOCITY SCAN MODULATION (advanced picture settings). I don't know why this exists, but in my opinion, it should be renamed "Make Picture Blurry". Turning this off gave me very noticable improvment on the test patterns and on-screen-graphics (as wall as picture in general.

Thanks David, I had already found the service mode procedure from a post on another website. The key was turning the tv off, then waiting for at least 10 seconds before holding ch- and vol- (for 8 sec).

I have made all the geometry adjustments to get the optimum picture for this set, but am still getting the light blue ghosting. I just ordered the Digital Video Essentials DVD, maybe it will allow me to calibrate the colors a little more accurately than my Avia DVD. It almost seems like the blue is out of focus on some material.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)