Dish Network 508 Surround Sound

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Oceangrace24

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
Lexington, SC
I just got a new home theater system for christmas. It is the Onkyo 770 system.

I have hooked up the Dish Receiver to the system. When we watch a show that is mainly talking, like news channels and such, we get some bad hissing, distorting, chirping sounds coming from the rear speakers.

I know that is not the system, because I put in a DVD and listened to some commentary and I did not hear this noise.

Is this something to do with This Dish Network Signal???

This is the first time I have had my dish hooked up to a speaker system..
Anyone else having these problems??

Oceangrace24,

First question to you, what audio output from 508 that goes into your receiver?

I am not familiar with 508, but in any case, you might have receiver set for one of the DSP sound mode, which take any two channeal stereo sound and make a simulated surround sound. In most of those case, the real speaker will have some lower volume "distored" sound to create the sound field.

Two options that you can do:

1. make sure your time delay on your surround speakers are set properly based on your speaker position. Since the sound fields are created based on time delay, means the sound gets to your ear from different speakers. By default, it assumes that all the speakes are in equal distance from your listening position.

2. tuned off the sound effects. that means for two channel stereo, you will only have the audio from two front speakers.

The reason that you don't experience those issues with DVD, that is becasue the Dolby 5.1 (or DTS 5.1) sound tracks are independent (discreated) for each speaker, none of them are artificially generated opposes to the above situation.

Good luck and enjoy.

You can also try the optical output and see if that helps. The optical output can output DD and PCM for regular Stereo...
I don't have trouble with the 508 but noticed that the RCA/Stereo out is relatively 'loud' - has a relatively high signal level - compared to my other equipment. I used to use a 5 port switchbox before I got a newer Receiver that had enough inputs and that switchbox was not very good at handling high signal levels and would introduce distortion.... So it might be a combination of things....

I have seen onkyo do this same thing. Try running the same out on you 508 to a different in on the onkyo to see if that gets rid of it. This will at least show you if it is the 508 or not. Some onkyo's have a record player in that sounds scratchy if not using the correct source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts