DISH Network Adds TNT to its High-Definition Package; Programming to Include NBA, Mov

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nice to have another full-time HD channel in the line-up at no extra cost. Even the commericals. (Hello, ESPN-HD, you got your 33% wider ears on?) (And yes, I know ESPN-HD will get "better" in a month)

I saw that VOOM announced TNT-HD, has DirecTV?

BTW Scott, if you bump into Charlie or Schwimmer tell them (1) thanks for the TNT-HD, and (2) sign a deal with YES Network already, dammit! :(

I think they should have more Team Summits. Seems somewhat coincidental that both of these great services get activated this week. How about monthly Summits! :)

bkos said:
I think they should have more Team Summits. Seems somewhat coincidental that both of these great services get activated this week. How about monthly Summits! :)

it's a nice idea, but Charlie & Co. can only fleece the vendors to pay for everything aproximately once a year.

Confused about TNTHD ESPNHD comparison

Foxbat said:
<snip>......Even the commericals. (Hello, ESPN-HD, you got your 33% wider ears on?) (And yes, I know ESPN-HD will get "better" in a month)

Is this good or bad ? Does it mean that like ESPN HD, TNT HD is going to "distort" everything except true HD signals or are they saying that commercials, etc will be in a true 16:9, unstretched format ?

I'm probably not asking this correctly. What I mean is, except for real HD programming, ESPN HD is basically unwatchable because of whatever it is they do to the SD signal. Is TNT going to follow a similar path, even after all the bad press ESPN has gotten for this ?

WaltinVt

John Kotches said:
I have TNT-HD on both my 6000 and 811 @ 9420.

ER looks like an upconvert, from the 16:9 original. A decent upconvert though :)

Regards,

Is ER normally SD in 16:9 ? I'm watching it via my 811 (set to "normal") on a 16:9 screen and although the picture doesn't look distorted, it sure doesn't look like HD. Compared to my other HD channels, which look great (especially since the 266 upgrade), this doesn't compare in PQ. It's darker and very "soft".
Anyone else seeing this ?
Looks like I answered my own previous post though - if this is a SD signal, at least they're not doing the ESPN "stretchy" thing to it.
WaltinVt :confused:

I've got it in Charlotte on my 811!!!

The show that is on right now (Judging Amy) appears as thought they are using a stretch mode similar to the one my HDTV uses, where the image is zoomed slightly, the center kept true w/ the stretching done progressively on the sides.

The upconvert looks very nice!

BIG THANKS to Dish for adding this channel! Being new to Dish from a purely cable background, I'm not used to getting channel THIS close to launch!!!

Nice to have another full-time HD channel in the line-up at no extra cost. Even the commericals. (Hello, ESPN-HD, you got your 33% wider ears on?) (And yes, I know ESPN-HD will get "better" in a month)
Sorry to break it to you, but TNT-HD won't be 100% HD or close to it for quite some time. Only movies, select sports, and select episodic programming will be in HD; the rest will be upconverted SD. Oooh, they'll have some commercials in HD too. :)

I'm watched a little of Judging Amy, and it sucks - I don't see any variable stretch - everybody's fat. Now watching Angel. Some of the commercials seem to be stretched differently than others - not sure why that might be. Angel looks like it's pre-stretched with their heads cropped - maybe that's just the director. In any event it still looks bad.

SimpleSimon said:
I'm watched a little of Judging Amy, and it sucks - I don't see any variable stretch - everybody's fat.

That's odd. With ER this morning, it also looked like the variable stretch/zoom seen on better TV's, instead of the "fireplug" effect seen on ESPN's 16x9 stretch.

Plus, it's nice to watch lowly SD without the horrible over-compression on Dish's SD channels. It's like the good old days, when Dish's SD channels actually looked great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)