Dish Network And FIOS TV Help

pazookie

Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Sorry i am posting this here, but since it has to do with Dish network i assume its ok..Ok i ordered the FIOS tv to be installed today (I currently have dish network). The guy comes in and i start asking questions. Heres how my setup is now: One Dish box (by itself in a room) which can do 2 tv's. We have the dish feed going into the attic into a splitter and the splitter is feeding into the box, then the out of both tv 1 and 2 are fed BACK INTO the in feed going back up the same coax into the splitter and 1 coax goes to a tv in one room (line 1) and the other coax lines are fed to other tv's (line 2). The FIOS tech said they cant work with that configuration (we only ordered 2 boxes thinking it can) and hed need to run new coax lines which are $55 each) and to top that off the FIOS boxes dont have UHF! So how am i supposed access any boxes unless i have a box for every tv. How are people with hidden boxes (like HDTV theater setups) supposed to have this work? Any advice on what can be done?

and why shouldnt i be able to feed back into the line just like dish, its coax, if i can do it to dish's coax, and if they dont lay down any new wire, just stick the fios box lines into the spilitter in place of dishes line then it should work right?

Dish can diplex OTA and Satellite because the frequencies are very different.

I believe cable and fios use standard cable frequencies.

My understanding of fios is that it comes to the house (or a distribution point via fiber and then is converted to RG-59 or RG-6 cable.

Did you post your question in the fios forum (I suppose there is one), they should be more familiar with how it woirk than satellite people.

And I'm afraid I have some more bad news for you. The Fios DVR is rather poor.

Would love to hear the details. I am aware that the DVR's have less capacity than Dish. In fact, I think Dish still has the greatest internal HDD capacity of any HD DVR out there, no?

Verizon FiOs, and they use a Motorola box (here in D/FW).
Tom in TX

When I was in Tampa, FL visiting at a relative's home for Xmas I used their Verizon FIOs internet internet service. They have 20 down and 5 up and it is really fast. Wish I could get it in Illinois. They do not have the TV service. They are with Direct TV and have the HR DVR. I sure like my 722 better but that might be whatever you get use too. A neighbor down the street has the Verizon FIOs TV DVR and he says the Dircet DVR is better than Verizon.

Fios DVR is not poor, depending on which one...

The Motorola Qip whatever the heck it's called is a great box. My mom has Verizon Fios in Florida and it's a box I could use every day and be happy. I only wish they would add the extend recording feature when you are choosing to record rather than having to edit it, but otherwise, it works quite well. Just needs more storage.

Here's one review. You can google Fios DVR and get lot's of hits to peruse.

That review does not have the current box in it. It is VASTLY improved. The menus are beautiful, there are tons of features.

My mom has the system that talks to other STBs and allows them to watch recorded programs, and after an initial box failure within 12 hours, the techs came back and replaced it and it's worked great since. Once they get that feature to work with HD STBs in remote locations, it will be golden.

The Motorola Qip whatever the heck it's called is a great box. My mom has Verizon Fios in Florida and it's a box I could use every day and be happy. I only wish they would add the extend recording feature when you are choosing to record rather than having to edit it, but otherwise, it works quite well. Just needs more storage.

I had basically the same Motorola box when I was with Charter Cable. In fact had three of them. They were the reason I switched to Dish TV. But, I don't think the box is the problem, I think it was the I-Guide program that it used that causes all the headaches.