Dish Network announces Interactive Showtime subscriptions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sampatterson

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Marietta, GA
NEW YORK, Sep 23, 2003 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Showtime Networks Inc. (SNI) announces it is now airing promotional television spots on EchoStar Communications Corporation's (Nasdaq: DISH) satellite TV service that enable DISH Network(TM) customers to instantly upgrade their service to include the Showtime Unlimited premium 10-channel movie package through one click on their remote control. With this new initiative, SNI becomes the first premium television company to enable instant purchase and activation of its channel package via interactive television advertising.

DISH Network customers no longer need to call the company's toll-free number or visit its website to order Showtime Unlimited. Instead, when viewing certain programs, an on-screen promotion appears prompting customers to order Showtime Unlimited by simply pressing the "Select" button on their remotes. Showtime Unlimited programming will appear within seconds.

SNI and DISH Network also have launched SHOWTIME INTERACTIVE, a "virtual channel" that gives most DISH Network customers easy and immediate access to Showtime Unlimited channel scheduling and in-depth program information. The new service can be accessed from the "Entertainment" section of DISH Network's DISH Home channel. SHOWTIME INTERACTIVE operates on DISH Network's OpenTV interactive platform and is available as a free service to more than 6 million DISH Network customers who have access to DISH Home.

The service provides a variety of unique features to enrich a viewer's entertainment experience including helpful and insightful programming information on SHOWTIME original series, movies, boxing and family programming - all through the remote control. That information includes movie and program schedules and descriptions, movie lists and behind-the-scenes information, actor biographies, boxing event schedules and statistics and boxer biographies.

Non-Showtime subscribers can benefit from taking the Showtime Unlimited Tour where they can view complete package, pricing and special promotional information to assist them in making their purchase decisions. They will also be able to order instantly the Showtime Unlimited premium movie package -- right from their screen using their remote controls.

The Showtime Unlimited 10-channel package on DISH Network includes six SHOWTIME channels, two channels of THE MOVIE CHANNEL, SUNDANCE CHANNEL and FLIX for $11.99 per month.

Showtime Networks Inc. (SNI), which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Viacom Inc., owns the premium television networks SHOWTIME(R), THE MOVIE CHANNEL(TM) and FLI:mad:R), as well as the multiplex channels SHOWTIME(R) TOO(TM), SHOWTIME(R) SHOWCASE, SHOWTIME EXTREME(R), SHOWTIME BEYOND(R), SHOWTIME NEXT(R), SHOWTIME WOMEN(R), SHOWTIME FAMILYZONE(R) and TMC xtra. SNI also offers SHOWTIME HDTV(R), SHOWTIME(R) ON DEMAND(TM) and THE MOVIE CHANNEL ON DEMAND(TM). SNI operates and manages the premium television network SUNDANCE CHANNEL(R), which is owned by SNI, Robert Redford and Universal Studios. All SNI feeds provide enhanced sound using Dolby Digital 5.1. SNI markets and distributes sports and entertainment events for exhibition to subscribers on a pay-per-view basis through SHOWTIME(R) PPV. Additionally, the advertiser- supported television network SHOWTIME EXTREME(R) is available in Spain through a joint venture with Media Park and the advertiser-supported television network SHOWTIME is available in Turkey through a joint venture with UK-based Zone Vision.

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of satellite television entertainment services with 9 million customers. DISH Network delivers advanced digital satellite television services, including hundreds of video and audio channels, interactive TV, digital video recording, HDTV, sports and international programming, professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800/333-DISH (3474).

They need to let us buy one movie or one original show for 1$ or so without subscribing to the whole package.

BTW the Interactive Ordering (when you see the showtime commercial and you can press the select button on your remote) that is WINK technology being used.

Its sad to see how they are using the technology, they should really think about upgrading their music channels to have interactive on screen displays using WINK like DirecTV does with it's music choice service.

YuriLuzr said:
Scott Greczkowski said:
How about some real news guys. :)

I lowered my cholesterol. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I ve got some great news for y'all. GEICO just lowered my insurance rates! Well, no, not really. I don't even use them but I couldn't resist, either. I'm weak... :oops:

It could have been worse Yuri...

You could have said...

"I just found out that I am saying $150 on my car insurance by switching to GEICO!" :D

I got some good news, I dont have to switch to GEICO, I already have them for going on six years now.

Anyways, I dont think this interactive ordering is all good because kids or other people can order it and run up a programming bill. I think this can be locked out though, at least by locking out channel 100. This would prevent you from being able to do the other interactive features though. I think it should be locked out by default when you choose ppv lock or have a seperate option for it.

I thought they were doing away with channel 9500 (Interactive Weather Channel) once they got all the OpenTv receivers the software upgrade to have the Interactive Channel 100 since that channel has Instant Weather in it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts