Dish Network carrying Canadian Nets.?

If a cable company can receive a Canadian signal OTA at it's headend, then it is able to carry the channel on it's system. Which explains why border systems sometimes carry CBC, CTV, Global, TVA, SRC, etc...
there are cable systems in Upstate New York that receive microwave link transmissions from canadian stations

watch a movie on USA, TBS, TNT, etc and tell me that there is no issue with censorship

CityTV in Canada shows "Cinemax" type shows late at night...and that's on OTA TV

For the OP...CTV & Global are 99% the same shows as on the US stations during Primetime..The only things I know of that aren't are Corner Gas and Canadian Idol.

So there's no reason to carry those.....CBC if it can be picked up OTA can be carried. Thats why (as noted above) border cities can carry it. Most of NE MN has it on cable

FCC censorship applies to Broadcast tv. Have you ever heard of a cable channel being fined for content? The channel you listed censor themselves but not because of fear of fines.

watch a movie on USA, TBS, TNT, etc and tell me that there is no issue with censorship

CityTV in Canada shows "Cinemax" type shows late at night...and that's on OTA TV

For the OP...CTV & Global are 99% the same shows as on the US stations during Primetime..The only things I know of that aren't are Corner Gas and Canadian Idol.

So there's no reason to carry those.....CBC if it can be picked up OTA can be carried. Thats why (as noted above) border cities can carry it. Most of NE MN has it on cable

Although post #22 appeared after your last post here, it would appear that if juan's post #22 is correct, then off-air pick up is not the only deciding factor here.

I might also point out that your statement about prime time which is probably correct , only accounts for 4 hours of a 24 hour period.
It is what Canadian networks do with the other 20 hours that gives the home viewer some diversity from the usual American programing.
It is all about giving us the option of watching TV with more choices. Don't you agree?

during the day alot of the syndicated programs & soaps are on there too so its the same programming most of the day :)

example from the guide
CTV has
The View
Bold & Beautiful
General Hospital
Dr Phil
Oprah
Whell
Jeopardy
along with primetime
paid programs overnights

Global has soaps most of the day

and since all of those channels have syndex here in the US on other nets, they either would have to be blacked out or have a diluted version of the channel

You want the chanenls? Go grey :)

The law will not allow retransmission of Canadian(i.e., foreign) stations via satellite(s) to home subscribers unless they are an affiliate of a US based "Network" and then it would only be for the local market they are in.

Again, XETV FOX for the San Diego Market is an example of this.

You have to get the law changed before any of the above can happen. It is not the same as the Cable law(s).

there are cable systems in Upstate New York that receive microwave link transmissions from canadian stations
Usually to get a quality signal. They get a signal OTA, but it's probably degraded, so they put in a microwave link in order to send out a quality signal.

during the day alot of the syndicated programs & soaps are on there too so its the same programming most of the day :)

example from the guide
CTV has
The View
Bold & Beautiful
General Hospital
Dr Phil
Oprah
Whell
Jeopardy
along with primetime
paid programs overnights

Global has soaps most of the day

and since all of those channels have syndex here in the US on other nets, they either would have to be blacked out or have a diluted version of the channel

You want the chanenls? Go grey :)

Like you, I also have gone grey and have Star Choice.
It is others that have not gone grey that I am thinking of.
The laws need changing. Not only in this case but sports blackouts, dns rights and a lot of other justices that should be called injustices.
It's high time station owners and team owners lose their protectionism and learn to compete like most of the rest of us do.
If they can't see a future in that, then they should put their property on the market. It would be swiped up in a New York minute.

I would also like to point out to you that Canadian broadcast law requires that TV stations broadcast 60% Canadian content yearly over a 24 hr. day.

CBC is required to broadcast 60% Canadian content from 6AM to Midnight.

All networks must broadcast 50% Canadian content between 6PM and Midnight.

As you can see, there is diversity there for the unknowing US public.
Lets get some. :)

Clancy said:
The laws need changing. Not only in this case but sports blackouts, dns rights and a lot of other justices that should be called injustices.
It's high time station owners and team owners lose their protectionism and learn to compete like most of the rest of us do.
Why? Simply so a consumer can get what they want, when they want it? And you want some law to circumvent their rights?
Clancy said:
CBC is required to broadcast 60% Canadian content from 6AM to Midnight.

All networks must broadcast 50% Canadian content between 6PM and Midnight.
So, Global and CTV offer news from 6P to 8P, and again from 11P to Midnight. The primetime slate from 8P to 11P is generally American shows. Nice loophole.

Why? Simply so a consumer can get what they want, when they want it? And you want some law to circumvent their rights?So, Global and CTV offer news from 6P to 8P, and again from 11P to Midnight. The primetime slate from 8P to 11P is generally American shows. Nice loophole.

Greg, as you and every other concerned person knows, why shouldn't the consumer get what they want and will pay for. The owners that I mentioned have had their desired rights protected by law out of necessity far long enough.
It sounds to me that you must have a vested interest in something other than what is good for what people have been complaining about here on this forum for a long time.

Your numbers are incorrect in reguard to the content of CTV .
Take CFTO-TV in Toronto as an example. They are the flagship of the CTV network.
Their news is from 6 to 7PM and 11 to midnight.
That's 2 hours Greg. Which is not 50%, but 33% of the time slot.
They also have to adhere to 60% Canadian content on a 24 hr. day.

My hole point of introducing this thread was to show that there is a diverse side of TV viewing that could be seen in the US if protectionism was dropped in favor of what is good for the general public.

Clancy said:
Greg, as you and every other concerned person knows, why shouldn't the consumer get what they want and will pay for. The owners that I mentioned have had their desired rights protected by law out of necessity far long enough.
We are talking about simple copyright law. The owners of the copyright gets to determine how, where, when and why a program gets sold to a station.

I'm willing to pay $2 for a three-pack of Coke 20-ounce bottles. Wonder where my law is?
Clancy said:
It sounds to me that you must have a vested interest in something other than what is good for what people have been complaining about here on this forum for a long time.
No vested interest whatsoever. However, if I were to build a business, I'd like to be able to do what I think will increase my market and my profitability, not some government regulation.
Clancy said:
Your numbers are incorrect in reguard to the content of CTV .
Take CFTO-TV in Toronto as an example. They are the flagship of the CTV network.
Their news is from 6 to 7PM and 11 to midnight.
That's 2 hours Greg. Which is not 50%, but 33% of the time slot.
They also have to adhere to 60% Canadian content on a 24 hr. day.
Okay. So let's take a look at the Thursday night lineup from 6P to Midnight:

6P - CTV News (clearly Canadian Content)
7P - eTalk (???)
7:30P - Jeopardy! (???)
8P - CSI (US Content)
9P - CSI (US Content)
10P - Criminal Minds (US Content)
11P - CTV National News (clearly Canadian Content)

So, is Jeopardy! being considered Canadian content because Alex Trebek is Canadian? What a wonderful rule!!!

The diversity is mandated by a set of archane rules.

7P - eTalk (???)
7:30P - Jeopardy! (???)
(snip!)
11P - CTV National News (clearly Canadian Content)
eTalk is a CTV-produced program. Just saw it last night. Also, local news follows the 11 PM National Newscast, so that would give CTV 2 1/2 hours of Canadian Content by my count.

So, is Jeopardy! being considered Canadian content because Alex Trebek is Canadian? What a wonderful rule!!!
If that's how CTV is applying it, I think that's nuts. Personally, while Alex is Canadian, J! shouldn't count toward the quota as it's not produced in and/or specifically for the Canadian market. Same applies to Access Hollywood, which CTV Vancouver carries in place of J! But then, that rule has probably has as many loopholes in it as a slice of swiss cheese.

Last edited:
Considering CTV is owned by Bell and most anyone who has Caandian TV knows Bell is in bed with the CRTC (the Canadian equivalent of the FCC) the CRTC probably lets that little rule slide

heck, TSN (which is partially owned by Bell) is allowed on ExpressVu to simsub when need be even though the simsub rule is only for OTA channels (and TSN is a cable channel)

CRTC doesnt say anything about that

Mandated diversity. Yep, things are much better in Canada. :(

However, that is my point in a nutshell. The copyright law up there allows for retransmission, and all that is paid is some fee. I seem to remember that from the ICraveTV.com suit.

Then again, as I remember, the big OTA networks in Canada own the largest of the affiliates. If ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX owned stations which covered 80 percent of the households in the US, there would be watch-dog groups screaming for "diversity in media".

Take a look at the ownership of the major Canadian networks. Then compare them to their counterparts in the US. Another archane restriction.

I believe CTV must have 50% Canadian Content (Cancon) a week in primetime, not each night.

Jeopardy is not Cancon.

Then again, as I remember, the big OTA networks in Canada own the largest of the affiliates.

correct Greg

The CBC is the only one of the 3 nets (CBC, CTV, Global) that has a fair amount of privately owned stations

CBC has 16 O&O & 9 Privatelly owned ones (Brandon, Dawson Creek, Lloydminster, Kingston, Thunder Bay, Medicine Hat, Peterborough, Prince George, Terrace)

CTV has 14 O&O & 3 Privatelly owned (Lloydminster, Thunder Bay & Kenora)

All Global stations are O&O but there is some Global stuff on Thunder Bay, Lloydminster & Kenora stations

Heck, in some areas one company owns all the TV stations in a market (Thunder Bay is an example)...my god the FCC wouldn't allow that here. How can one company own 2 TV stations, 3 radio stations and a newspaper in one town. That just can't happen here :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts