Dish Network "Chat" Question

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
Exactly what changes can you make to your Dish account using their 'chat' feature on-line? I know you can change certain things yourself on-line, but I'm not sure about chatting with a CSR. Any thoughts?

You can do anything in chat that you could do by calling into Dish. I actually prefer doing a chat, it is a whole lot faster that calling in!!!

I'm a big fan of chat and use it all the time. They have always been very helpful to me. Some people don't like it. I just like not having to hold a phone to my ear for an hour.

I'm a big fan of chat and use it all the time. They have always been very helpful to me. Some people don't like it. I just like not having to hold a phone to my ear for an hour.

The people that hate it are the same people who hate how others use text messages on their phones. I find it pretty funny how much it bothers them actually.

I like the online chat as it gives you a transcript of the chat. There is none of this he said she said BS... instead it's all there in black and white. :)

:up:up:up:up:up I also agree use online chat it is the best option that way you dont get as frustrated if it is overseas and also no hold music.

My only issue with the chat is the representatives don't always know what you're talking about and they go strictly by the script.

Just a few weeks back, I was having signal issues, talked to two representatives on the chat, one said strength was low, but to come back if I have any more outages. Had another outage, 15 minutes later, went back to chat, next guy said my signal strength was "normal" and refused to send out a tech. He eventually disconnected on me with the stupid canned response "Glad I could help you today. blah blah blah." I was very respectful, so it wasn't that. So, I called DISH a few moments later, and the representative didn't hesitate to send out a tech, tech came out and fixed my signal strength and now it's great.

I have used chat twice, once to arrange an on-site modification at no charge due to programming changes, and again to demand the $10 "discount" for HD Platinum when that was still available. Both times I kept copies of the transcripts. I like the written record of what was said / committed in case it's needed later. That second chat became contentious and I had to elevate it within the same chat. But everything worked out as I requested.

As noted above, we could be a bit more efficient and waste less BW if they reserved the platitudes and just cut to the chase...

EDIT: I'm one who does NOT like text messages. I'm "old school", emphasis on "old". With that comes eyes that have problems reading small text and arthritic fingers that can't type efficiently on the small keyboards. I'm also frugal in some respects as I approach retirement (read that as "cheap") so I don't like to pony-up extra for texting plans when in most cases a verbal communication will do just fine, thus I don't use the technology. (If someone texts me and doesn't receive a reply - as is almost always the case - they follow-up with a phone call if it's important enough. Works for me!) That said - I have no issue using chat in a regular e-mail like environment. So I don't think it's that I am "geek challenged", altho' I have been accused of that many times...!

Last edited:
My only issue with the chat is the representatives don't always know what you're talking about and they go strictly by the script.

Just a few weeks back, I was having signal issues, talked to two representatives on the chat, one said strength was low, but to come back if I have any more outages. Had another outage, 15 minutes later, went back to chat, next guy said my signal strength was "normal" and refused to send out a tech. He eventually disconnected on me with the stupid canned response "Glad I could help you today. blah blah blah." I was very respectful, so it wasn't that. So, I called DISH a few moments later, and the representative didn't hesitate to send out a tech, tech came out and fixed my signal strength and now it's great.

You do realize you can get the same dumb people on the phone. Just because you talk to them on the phone doesn't mean they aren't reading off a script. Same thing.

You do realize you can get the same dumb people on the phone. Just because you talk to them on the phone doesn't mean they aren't reading off a script. Same thing.

Yes I do realize. On the chat however, they can get away with canned responses a lot easier, and they can't just hang up on you on the phone like they can disconnect on chat. Also, I know for a fact that the rep on the phone was not reading a script, she was actually being... You know... A human.

I know a canned response when I see/hear one. Just saying in my experience, 2/3 times chat was crap, 1/1 times phone was not.

However I ordered DISH through the chat from the get-go.

3HaloODST said:
Yes I do realize. On the chat however, they can get away with canned responses a lot easier, and they can't just hang up on you on the phone like they can disconnect on chat. Also, I know for a fact that the rep on the phone was not reading a script, she was actually being... You know... A human.

I know a canned response when I see/hear one. Just saying in my experience, 2/3 times chat was crap, 1/1 times phone was not.

However I ordered DISH through the chat from the get-go.

Strange I had a defective vip922 and in the phone the jerk hung up in me saying I will escalate the call.

On chat I got the 922 replaced.

Strange I had a defective vip922 and in the phone the jerk hung up in me saying I will escalate the call.

On chat I got the 922 replaced.

Touche. Hell I dunno at least DISH is working on their customer service supposedly.

Still beats the hell outta Charter jackasses for the most part.

EDIT: This post by Mr. Greczkowski may come in handy. I haven't used that route yet, but I may in the future if I have any issues.

Last edited:
(I just imagined how the "canned / script" responses are probably arranged in the chat environment: Press F1 to send "I see you are one of our most valued customers!"; press F2 to send "OK if you feel that way about it we'll cancel your account.", press F3 to send "We'll send out a technician right away.", press F4 to send "No way will we send out a technician at no charge!", etc. I wonder what happens when they press the wrong function key...?!?)

I just used the chat for an inquiry about a current promotion. The CSR was very helpful and answered my questions. Very satisfied!

So, lesson for me is, it's just a crapshoot, whether it be phone, Internet, as to whether or not the person on the other end is competent. As previously stated hopefully DISH is weeding out the bad apples. Also I suppose it depends on the issue/inquiry.

I like using chat because it's easier for me to get info with out the hassle of having a friend secure my equipment for me with his CC.
I know I've brought this up before, but it really gets me when I run into a CSR that tells me I can do anything on the account even though I pay the bill through my bank account on auto pay, and all the equipment is at my address in KY, while my friend lives in IL.
Somehow it's easier for me to just "act" like I'm him on chat then it is for me to "act" like him on the phone...My only problem with chat is that I'm a slow typist at times.:)
Ghpr13:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts