Dish Network complaints from a noobie

BigDaddy2

Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
AL
[FONT=&quot]Hi all. I've just switched to Dish Network about 3 weeks ago from analog cable due to an increasingly sucky picture. Coming from TiVO and Beyond TV here are some of the problems I've had so far.

1. About twice a week the 722 DVR records a show in 1 minute segments. What is this all about? I record a 1 hour show and get almost 60 one minute recording that I have to delete, one at a time.

2. I can't stop a recording from TV2. Why in the world can't I stop a recording on the other tuner? There are times I have to actually go into the other room and turn on the TV just to stop a recording. The remote in the room with the DVR should be the 'master' control.

3. I wish the DVR would tell me what a new recording is colliding with instead of just asking what to do about it. I would probably know better what to do about it if it would tell me that Heroes is not going to record because it collides with Spongebob.

If anyone has any info or simular experiences please let me know. Some of my problems may very well be just a lack of knowledge.

Thanks.[/FONT]

#1: Never seen this happen before in almost 2 years of using a 622 and a 722. Do you lose signal a lot? Was there a storm at the time?

#2: This is just how the software is designed if you are running in dual mode. If you don't watch TV at the same time on both TVs, you could put the DVR into single mode and then you get cool features like PiP and the ability to switch between tuners on the fly. But TV2 will always mirror what's on TV1 in this mode.

#3: Agreed, but it doesn't.

#1 One of my 722s started doing this and I had to get a new unit. The HDD was bad. My other one did this a couple of times and then did a HD 'recovery' and has been ok since.

#2 Do you watch 'TV2' often? You might want to change your default tuner. My TV1 is in the loft and I seldome watch it so I set the default tuner to 'TV1'.

#3 I normally just say 'resolve by priority' and then go into the timers. I'm at work right now and don't remember exactly, but you can go to something like timers / schedule or something and it will give you a list of all of the timers for the day. You can go into each and select either "restore" or "skip" to resolve the conflicts. Normally you need to make sure your priroty list is correct so you don't need to do this. I normally only adjust manually for one off recordings.

[FONT=&quot]Hi all. I've just switched to Dish Network about 3 weeks ago from analog cable due to an increasingly sucky picture. Coming from TiVO and Beyond TV here are some of the problems I've had so far.

1. About twice a week the 722 DVR records a show in 1 minute segments. What is this all about? I record a 1 hour show and get almost 60 one minute recording that I have to delete, one at a time.

2. I can't stop a recording from TV2. Why in the world can't I stop a recording on the other tuner? There are times I have to actually go into the other room and turn on the TV just to stop a recording. The remote in the room with the DVR should be the 'master' control.

3. I wish the DVR would tell me what a new recording is colliding with instead of just asking what to do about it. I would probably know better what to do about it if it would tell me that Heroes is not going to record because it collides with Spongebob.

If anyone has any info or simular experiences please let me know. Some of my problems may very well be just a lack of knowledge.

Thanks.[/FONT]

1. Definitely should not be doing that...
  2. I swear that you can do this when using the 722 for two tvs (as I do now), but maybe I am just imagining it. Can't you go into the timers or something while it is recording and stop it? Not sure, but I will check when I get home.
  3. This is a great idea and would love to see it implemented. I had the same problem last night when setting up a recording; it told me there was a conflict but I didn't know what to do. But since new recordings for me default to the last priority, I had it resolve by priority, and then went in and adjusted my new shows priority.

I have had the same issue for the last 4 years. There are two shows trying to record at the same time on one tuner. You will have to figure out which ones they are and delete one. It's always the same shows. If you put the timer back in for the one you delete it will start all over again.

Thanks.[/FONT]
1) I've had that once or twice, but never that much. I'd do a hard reset, i.e. pull the plug for 30 seconds. However, you don't have to delete one by one. Select 'edit' and you can select multiple programs and delete.

2) If your just looking to stop because you don't want whatever it is working on recoded, I;ve found you can hit menu 6-1-3 (i.e. system info) and that will interrupt TV2 and stop the recording.

3) I always select change priority and go and see what else is recording so I can resolve it myself. The new sling guide online programming function, now in beta testing, does have what you are referring to, though, so you may want to see if you can sign up at dish.sling.com

In two years with my 622, never seen it happen. Sounds like a problem with that unit.

If your 722 is set in dual mode, it is, in effect, two separate and distinct DVRs in the same box. This is a feature, not a bug. It prevents one DVR user from looking at something recording and deciding that the other person really didn't want to watch that.
In the single mode, you can easily control everything for either remote.
There is also a "Share" mode in the dual mode that lets you control which tuner is the default recorder no matter what the mode.

You can press the DVR button 3 times and it will show you the complete schedule of programs that you have set to record. The list will show you the programs that will record and the ones that won't. Selecting the program from there will tell you why it won't record. You can then "restore" the recording. It will tell you what program will be bumped if you do.

See ya
Tony

Here's a question: in the same vein, can you switch from dual to single mode while something is recording? Will it cancel a recording?

1. never had that happen on mine. i would contact dish network tech support(use the online chat feature on their website, better informed techs and you can understand them)
2. i rarely use tv 2, so i have mine in single mode. which does let you switch tuners and watch something else if there is a recording on that tuner. but why would you want to stop a recording? didn't you want it to be recorded?
3. connect the 722 to a broadband connection and go and sign up for the SlingGuide beta it will tell you about your conflicts and ask which program you want skipped.

Yes switching. No canceling, because the 3 input tuners, HD and SD, Sat or OTA, are used for recording. The two outputs are separate, one HD and one SD. The outputs are controlled as one in single mode, separately in dual mode. The only problem would be if you were making a DVD recording or some one was watching TV2. Answering #8.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts