Dish Network considers $10 billion 5G network instead of spectrum sale

I think this must just be a common denominator with regards to rural broadband. Residents tend to be less affluent and farther apart, and laying down large swaths of fiber isn't cost effective.

It's "the cost we pay to live in paradise!"

I don't think large ILECs will ever do FTTH in rural areas. They don't want to spend the money and wait on a return, because they are for profit businesses.

You will see electric cooperatives and rural telephone cooperatives be the ones that will provide this service to their members in rural locations.

You mentioned being close to Missouri. There are several co-ops there that are doing this, many have partnered with CoMo Electric Cooperative and their CoMo Connect service.

Here in Alabama there are two electric co-ops that have fiber to the premises projects ongoing, and two that are doing a study to begin service.

I am fortunate enough to live in one of these territories. Our cooperative, Tombigbee Electric has started a fiber to the premises project that will cover the entirety of two counties, and portions of two more. They have about 3,000 customers now, and when this phase (2) of the five phase project is finished they will probably have about 2,000-2,500 more.

There is a 24 count fiber line running on the poles in front of my house right now. All that they need to finish to get me connected here is the completion of some couplers and adding some fiber drops along the way, and the completion of installing an optical line terminal in a communications hut to serve this area. They have everything ready for the hut, just waiting to get a crane truck out to move it into place.

The complete project will cost about $35 million, so far they have spent about $18 million in borrowed funds and have received grants of about $5 million.

This is a very rural county, with about 30,000 residents over 743 sq miles. The largest towns have populations of about 6,700 and 4,500.

I live in an unincorporated area of the county, the closest 'town' is about three miles away with a population of about 900.

CenturyLink is the ILEC here the cable company that serves the county is a mom and pop, no way either of them would have ever taken on such a project.

Maybe Mr. L is just smarter than the “big guys.” He certainly seems to be eating their lunch. He’s shown he knows how to shake up a market.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Mr L drew me away from ATT mobile with the unlimited 55 plan. I just got tired of paying more for less.

Reactions: navychop
I don't think large ILECs will ever do FTTH in rural areas. They don't want to spend the money and wait on a return, because they are for profit businesses.

The complete project will cost about $35 million, so far they have spent about $18 million in borrowed funds and have received grants of about $5 million.

This is a very rural county, with about 30,000 residents over 743 sq miles. The largest towns have populations of about 6,700 and 4,500.

I live in an unincorporated area of the county, the closest 'town' is about three miles away with a population of about 900.

CenturyLink is the ILEC here the cable company that serves the county is a mom and pop, no way either of them would have ever taken on such a project.

$1200/person

A great price.
The county should take our a 20 year loan and do it all. The taxpayers would be happy to pay the minimal expense over that time.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Pick the “right” small town. Run fiber from the town out to some farmland. Let developers know. Farms get sold, townhouses pop up, and sell quickly due to broadband.

Pick the “right” small town. Run fiber from the town out to some farmland. Let developers know. Farms get sold, townhouses pop up, and sell quickly due to broadband.

When my parents sold the farm last month, they were seriously concerned that the lack of legit broadband might deter buyers. Lucky for them, that was not the case. It sold in 4 days.

$1200/person

A great price.
The county should take our a 20 year loan and do it all. The taxpayers would be happy to pay the minimal expense over that time.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Actually, they’re doing all of Marion and Lamar County, Alabama, plus part of two other counties. It will be a combined population of around 55,000-60,000 residents. They have probably nearly half of Marion County wired. Probably 2/3 of that is lit up. I expect by the end of this year most all of that remaining 1/3 will be lit up. Just have to wait a few more weeks to get that other ONT in service. They have the equipment, the weather over the past couple of weeks hasn’t cooperated for a lot of outside work.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts