Dish Network DENIED "Service Address" change...

rodin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
Wow, what did I do wrong, they denied the Service Address change and said they had to change both. I insisted I did not receive mail at my new address, and the billing address was still my regular house. Very interesting?

Did you do the change using the online chat? That's the simplest way to do the change without having to actually talk to csr.

Yup! Was with a chat csr. Could have been someone new who didn't know what I was even talking about.

Could be . I think some of the online chat people are still coming out of INDIA. When I talk to a csr online I always talk to them like I am talking to a 4th grader . I simplify and make it abundantly clear what I am talking about.

ex: Please change my service address to : 141 Elm street, Anytown Usa 122222
Leave my billing address & phone nubmer : what ever it was before

Then I ask them to remove my old locals and turn on my new ones. I stay online till everything changes.

I change mine every year when I head to warmer climates and have never received the third degree at any time. I haven't made the change yet this year so maybe things have recently changed. I'll find out fairly soon.

Or you just deal with a company who will make changes with out putting you through the third degree.
They put him "through the third degree" ? Hardly... He likely got an inexperienced rep and will probably report back here saying he successfully got it changed.

Same thing happened to me last month.Just called back untill i found someone who spoke english and no problem.

The CSR I spoke to told me he could change my service address, but would have to send a tech out to change my dish to receive the new locals. Kinda funny considering both my existing and new locals are all on 110 (SD). I told him no thanks since it's "only temporary" so he kindly left me with no locals at all! After I got off the phone I looked at my account online, it showed that I had a package that was no longer available. Setting it back to AT250 magically turned on the new locals. Unforutnately for me, the HD channels are on different sats.

Definitely wish I had done it thru chat tho! MikeD's little script looks SO much easier!

I ran into serious resistance on my last changeover, which was especially surprising being I was trying to move back to my billing address (being locals were finally being offered.) They seem to be clamping down vs. a few years ago - although as alluded to above, it is a situation that CSR roulette almost always solves.

If Dish wanted to "protect" themselves so that they don't give the wrong locals to someone, they could require proof that you have some presence at this new address. A utility bill (you need electricity to use the receiver and TV, of course!) would suffice...

Providers can get in trouble for giving someone local channels that they're not eligible for, can they not ?

Not really,

Only if local affiliate files a complaint points out customer is not where they are supposed to be and notifies Dish/Directv and then they do nothing about it.

1 company has taken the moto the customer always lies, the other still believes the customer tells the truth until proven otherwise I let you figure out which one is which.

If Dish wanted to "protect" themselves so that they don't give the wrong locals to someone, they could require proof that you have some presence at this new address. A utility bill (you need electricity to use the receiver and TV, of course!) would suffice...

Providers can get in trouble for giving someone local channels that they're not eligible for, can they not ?

The trouble with that is you might not need public utilities at all. Let's say you live in the far out country. You have 100% solar power. This runs your TV, heating, cooking, etc....... There are people with exactly that scenario.

The trouble with that is you might not need public utilities at all. Let's say you live in the far out country. You have 100% solar power. This runs your TV, heating, cooking, etc....... There are people with exactly that scenario.

I have a small cabin that is that way Solar powered for everything small eletirc pump that keeps a 50 gallon tank full of well water and on demand hot water heater and too far for phone or cable. But has a street address only thing i have are tax paperwork for the address.

what happens when the power company doesnt have the right address on the bill? We have a cabin in a rural area. The power company (electrical co-op) still has our old Rural Route address on the "service address". We havent had RR #'s in 5 years (we got E911 addresses in 2005 there). Billing address is the house here in Minneapolis.
It could be worse...our physical address for the propane man is " 8 driveways from (the bar/grill down the road) :)