Dish Network dish for Directv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

orrenb

Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Will a Dishnetwork 500 dish with it's LNBs work with the Directv Sats? ie can I just repoint it and use a Directv R15 receiver? I understand that it might only be able to get one Sat... like 101 which has most of the stuff...

thanks, OB

Will a Dishnetwork 500 dish with it's LNBs work with the Directv Sats? ie can I just repoint it and use a Directv R15 receiver? I understand that it might only be able to get one Sat... like 101 which has most of the stuff...

thanks, OB

It can be used for 101. Don' t use the Dish switch, just connect a cable directly from one of the LNBs to the R15.

Thanks... I was hoping that it would work.... it's not a dish pro... so I understand that I'm to take the switch off of the coax and use just one lnb and point it at 101 and be OK...

I won't be able to try it for a couple of months... as it's in a remote location and I will be taking a receiver to the cabin where it's installed... and thankfully won't have to buy another dish....

Thanks, OrrenB...

orrenB,
Report back if it works. I never tried this.
Another hint; as you enter the zip code of the new location into your DTV reciever to tune the dish, know that the azmuth( compass direction ) shown is to the 110 satellite. You will have to adjust east /left to hit the 101.There may also be some compass deviation so it may not seem to be on the line you use.
The elevation should be adjusted per screen instructions. I know the el to DISH products is lower that the DTV sats.
Make sure the mast is "plumb" before you tune.

Good luck,

Joe

Do you (or have you) think Direct TV will match dish in pricing if I ask?

I want two rooms to have DVR service.... right now I don't have to pay anything to do it with dish, but Direct I end up having to pay 100 bucks for their standard DVR.......(unless I'm wrong and ONE of their DVR's can control two rooms" like dish)

The question is do you think they'll waive the 2nd dvr fee if I tell them that's the ONLY thing keeping me from joining them?

Do you (or have you) think Direct TV will match dish in pricing if I ask?

I want two rooms to have DVR service.... right now I don't have to pay anything to do it with dish, but Direct I end up having to pay 100 bucks for their standard DVR.......(unless I'm wrong and ONE of their DVR's can control two rooms" like dish)

The question is do you think they'll waive the 2nd dvr fee if I tell them that's the ONLY thing keeping me from joining them?

j3ff,
The recorder fee is for the whole family /address/ account. What you need to consider is you need two dvrs and each needs two coax feeds.

What DTV needs to discover again is that the skill to wire a mess like that costs time and money. They are asking techs (like me) to do it for cheap or free.

Consider a splitter to feed all other TVs from your recorder. VCRs can hold recorded material. It goes on like that.

Joe

orrenB,
Report back if it works. I never tried this.
Another hint; as you enter the zip code of the new location into your DTV reciever to tune the dish, know that the azmuth( compass direction ) shown is to the 110 satellite. You will have to adjust east /left to hit the 101.There may also be some compass deviation so it may not seem to be on the line you use.
The elevation should be adjusted per screen instructions. I know the el to DISH products is lower that the DTV sats.
Make sure the mast is "plumb" before you tune.

Good luck,

Joe

This is true only if the IRD is set to a 3 LNB configuration. If you configure the receiver to a single LNB dish, it will give you the coordinates for the 101.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)