Dish Network dish has two cables. I only need one cable

Coloradokev

Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
Florissant, CO
I am getting rid of Dish Network and installing an amplified outdoor antenna. My DISH outside has two RG6 cables coming from it to a junction/connector outside the house and then two cables from the other side of the junction/connector going into the wall of the house. I have one cable wall outlet upstairs and one cable wall outlet downstairs.
question 1; Was the outside DISH wired with a splitter to feed each TV cable going into the house? If this is accurate then one cable going into the house feeds the upstairs TV and the other cable going into the house feeds the downstairs TV. (No way to trace the cables inside the wall so just trial and error)
I ask because the outdoor antenna requires one cable coming from the antenna into the house to the indoor antenna box. Then to supply a 2nd TV there is a "2nd TV" connector on the back of the indoor antenna box which goes to the second TV.
question 2: so if the above is accurate, I would connect the outside single antenna cable to one of the outside cables going into the house. Then the "2nd TV" cable coming from the antenna box (inside the house) would need to be fed through the wall back outside to connect to the other cable location on the outside junction/connector. Is this accurate? Thanks for your help!

More than likely the 2 cables from the dish run to a grounding block on the outside of the house. Each cable continued to a satellite receiver on both the first and second floors. What are you trying to install for a TV antenna? It sounds like a cheap Chinese 150 mile amplified piece of junk.

Yes, I guess you could call it a grounding block since it does have a heavy copper wire which is molded in with the paired cables coming from the DISH. The copper wire from the DISH is secured with a screw onto the grounding block but the ground wire stops there. There is a hole & screw for another ground wire to continue to ground but there isn't one there.
So if you think each cable continues to the satellite receiver on both the first and second floors then you have answered my question 2. THANKS! All I'll have to do is feed a cable from the inside antenna box "2nd TV" port, through the house wall back out to the grounding block connection to get the signal downstairs.
So I would need a splitter to connect the single antenna cable to both the first and second floors CORRECT?
Yes I am looking at a cheap Chinese amplified 150 mile 360 degree rotating piece of junk. I can't seem to find a better quality smaller amplified antenna. I need a long range amplified one to pull in local stations out of Colorado Springs through/around all the mountains (including Pikes Peak) and still have a decent signal strength at my home 40 miles west north west of the broadcast towers in Colorado Springs. It's very windy and we get pretty much snow so I do not want to put an antenna on the roof. One fellow told me I would be OK mounting the Chinese antenna in the same spot where the DISH was/is which is on a south facing wall, west corner, 15 FT above the ground and 8 FT below the roof peak where I could direct the antenna east south east toward the broadcast towers.
Can you recommend a higher quality small 150 + mile amplified antenna? I really don't need the rotational motor, since I plan to position it once and lock it down.

Can you recommend a higher quality small 150 + mile amplified antenna? I really don't need the rotational motor, since I plan to position it once and lock it down.[/QUOTE]
Pointing at Cheyenne Mountain? If so make sure it works for both VHF and UHF, otherwise channel 5 will kill you.

Reactions: HipKat
Yes, I think the broadcast towers are on or near Cheyenne Mountain. All these cheap Chinese 150 mile amplified antennas look very similar. I was looking at the LAVA 2605 from antennadeals.com which says it works for both VHF and UHF. The gut in customer service was helpful and seemed knowledgeable. No other antenna companies answered my email questions. One can also find almost the same antennas at No-Cable 150, Amazon TreeNewBee WA2608

Yes, I've been to several of these websites. Thanks! I like the websites that want my physical address as opposed to just my zip code (my house is 400 FT higher than where antennaweb.org says my zip code is located). I primarily just want to pull in ABC KRDO Colorado Springs since I plan to stream fuboTV which offers all the local Colorado Springs channels except ABC. Still looking for a better quality 150 mile amplified antenna that is small (so it will be more wind resistant). I was told to look at a 150 mile range antenna since the mountains in between my physical address and the broadcast towers will degrade the signal by 30% so a longer range antenna will still have enough signal strength after being degraded by 30%.
Since I got my question answered about the 2 cables coming from my DISH, I guess I'll buy the amplified 150 mile antenna since I can't find anything better and just as small

I just need to find out if a should buy a splitter

In order to pick up channel 5 the antenna needs at least one set of elements that are about six feet long tip to tip, the Chinese junk antennas rely solely on the amplifier to get most channels.

Not worth $10 - IMHO.

If you have a VHF low channel like channel 5 just get an all frequency standard antenna and add a pre-amplifier.

They will both greatly outlast the chinese junk.

In order to pick up channel 5 the antenna needs at least one set of elements that are about six feet long tip to tip, the Chinese junk antennas rely solely on the amplifier to get most channels.

Not worth $10 - IMHO.

If you have a VHF low channel like channel 5 just get an all frequency standard antenna and add a pre-amplifier.

They will both greatly outlast the chinese junk.
Actually he said he only needs to get the ABC affiliate which is not VHF in Colorado Springs so he might be OK with that antenna.

If you all could help me choose the most appropriate antenna, that would be awesome!!! I only need to pull in ABC - KRDO, Colorado Springs, which is 23 miles ESE from my home (check out this website 115 Nimbus Ln, Florissant, CO 80816 - TV Channels & Antenna Map (not my exact address)). Actually all Colorado Springs broadcast towers are 23 miles away (with mountains in between), all located on high on Cheyenne Mountain 9564 FT elevation (I'm at 8750 FT elevation). When I look at a map (I'm located on the southern edge of Fossil Beds National Park) doing line-of-sight to Cheyenne Mountain, my "line" is south of Pike's Peak so Pike's Peak is not an obstacle.
Ideally the outdoor antenna needs to be as small/compact as possible, and I prefer to avoid mounting it on the roof or a 30 FT pole (because of high winds and/or snow up here at 8750 FT elevation). I'm older and retired, not good on a ladder anymore, so mounting the antenna on my 2nd story wall 7 FT above a deck is best for me -(I'd prefer the convenience of easy replacement of the antenna every few years if necessary) My current mounting location is 15 FT above ground level and about 8 FT below the peak of the roof. I've been told that an amplified antenna will be necessary and the longer the antenna's range the better due to signal degradation because of the mountains. Thanks for your advice!!

Ist sounds like you have two direct lines from the satellite lnb to where the receivers were.

Satellite lnb's have switches built in so there are probably none in your lines.

Either one of those should pass OTA TV signals to the other end, assuming there are not satellite switches in the line.

I'd connect the TV to the cable in the room you wish to use and go up to the place where the dish was and connect the antenna to one of the cables.

If you get reception you guessed right, if not try the other cable.

It's as simple as that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)