Dish network, Dish network.

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 19, 2005
2,580
0
land of the ice and snow
I have not dealt with dish for about 2 months now. Company sent me to install a guys 811 today to replace another one he got from them. The first one he recieved was bad and in the instructions that came with it said to return within 15 days if any problems.

So. Today I get there to install the new one they sent him and he had already returned the other unit. With the remote:eek: and of couse the replacement did not come with one so when I activated I told the CSR of the problem and they finally concluded that it was the customers fault and now he would have to BUY ONE!
I asked to give him a break cause he did not know and guess what they said, NO.
I set his remote up from his 322 to work but now it changes both 811 and 322 tv2.

Come on Dish its a freakin remote that the customer needs to operate the system.
 

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
26,146
6,380
EM75xb
Yep and since their rules state he should not have sent the remote back now it is his problem. He must now buy one......Grrr I was being somewhat sarcastic but I agree Tate. Most people would assume they get new everything, and since the 15 day thing in a hurry to get it back......they should cut him a break....if they will or not is annother thing
 

BluEBoaR

SatelliteGuys Family
May 22, 2004
56
0
You would think that they would give him the benefit of the doubt, send him a remote, and verify him sending it when they receive his old box. And by the way- I thought all new receivers and reman receivers came with remotes?

************ BETTER TV FOR ALL ************
 

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
11,350
1,033
Dorchester, TX.
The customer should not have sent back the old receiver until he had the new receiver with the prepaid shipping label and return instructions. IT IS 100% CUSTOMER ERROR. Dish has hundreds if not thousands of receiver returned to them weekly sometimes they lose track of returned merchandise and you expect them to look for one customers returned receiver and check to be sure their is a returned remote accidently packed. Sorry the customer didn't follow instructions so it is his expense. Multiply $32 remotes by thousands of customer returns and figure the costs to DISH's bottom line.
 

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 19, 2005
2,580
0
land of the ice and snow
boba said:
The customer should not have sent back the old receiver until he had the new receiver with the prepaid shipping label and return instructions. IT IS 100% CUSTOMER ERROR. Dish has hundreds if not thousands of receiver returned to them weekly sometimes they lose track of returned merchandise and you expect them to look for one customers returned receiver and check to be sure their is a returned remote accidently packed. Sorry the customer didn't follow instructions so it is his expense. Multiply $32 remotes by thousands of customer returns and figure the costs to DISH's bottom line.

The thing is he did follow the 1st set on instructions he had " return the item within 15 days of recieving if any problems".
 

OoTLink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2005
731
0
That's Dish's error not the customer's. Have you ever DOAed something and were told by the place you bought it from to only send back the device itself and not the stuff it came with because the new one wouldn't have that?

Chances are good that answer would be no, and it'd be dishonest to do otherwise.

Of course, that's not to say Dish shouldn't be letting customers keep their remotes (and instructing them to do so) -- I actually prefer it that way (remotes get yucky and damaged).

Ya know, a lot of the time out here comcast's reps give out used remotes with the used boxes. EUGH!
 

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 19, 2005
2,580
0
land of the ice and snow
OoTLink said:
That's Dish's error not the customer's. Have you ever DOAed something and were told by the place you bought it from to only send back the device itself and not the stuff it came with because the new one wouldn't have that?

Thats my point exactlly, If you buy something at walmart or bestbuy or anywere, say a DVD player and you have problems with it you take the whole unit remote cables all back and swap it with a new one.

OoTLink said:
Of course, that's not to say Dish shouldn't be letting customers keep their remotes (and instructing them to do so) -- I actually prefer it that way (remotes get yucky and damaged).

Ya know, a lot of the time out here comcast's reps give out used remotes with the used boxes. EUGH!

I remember pegasus use to do that also. Used boxes and I saw a couple of remotes you could not read the numbers on the buttons.:eek:
 

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
9,316
1
Virginia Beach
When dish replaces a bad receiver by way of shipping the RA deparment follows a script and one part of the script has the csr tell the customer to not send back the old remote. The customer is also told that the replacement receiver will come with a prepaid shipping label for UPS and that they need to put an RA number on the outside of the box that the replacement receiver came in. The customer is never given the shipping address for where the faulty receiver is to be sent, also when the customer opens the box that the replacement receiver is he will have to take the foam packing off the new one to put the old one in the box, at this point it should be blatantly obvious that there is no remote in the box, so basicly if he put the remote in this box then he made a mistake, if he sent off the bad receiver before he got the new one then he is going to be charged for the receiver since he wont have the correct address for shipping. Either way its the customers fault and if you were so concerned you could have given him one off your van.

Also Dish isnt walmart or the chain stores for that matter, it doesnt make financial sense to replace the remote to if its not damaged.
 
Last edited:

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 19, 2005
2,580
0
land of the ice and snow
Van said:
When dish replaces a bad receiver by way of shipping the RA deparment follows a script and one part of the script has the csr tell the customer to not send back the old remote. The customer is also told that the replacement receiver will come with a prepaid shipping label for UPS and that they need to put an RA number on the outside of the box that the replacement receiver came in. The customer is never given the shipping address for where the faulty receiver is to be sent, also when the customer opens the box that the replacement receiver is he will have to take the foam packing off the new one to put the old one in the box, at this point it should be blatantly obvious that there is no remote in the box, so basicly if he put the remote in this box then he made a mistake, if he sent off the bad receiver before he got the new one then he is going to be charged for the receiver since he wont have the correct address for shipping. Either way its the customers fault and if you were so concerned you could have given him one off your van.
Also Dish isnt walmart or the chain stores for that matter, it doesnt make financial sense to replace the remote to if its not damaged.

As I said I have not dealt with dish for around 1 or 2 months so I dont have any extra equipment in my van. What happen is the customer ordered a 811 from dish to go in place of a 311 reciever he had. The customer is around 65 years old and did not want to fool with changing the reciever out himself so he called us to come out and replace it for him. It took us a couple of days to get out and the reciever would only recognize 105 from what the other tech said. As far as what the csr told the customer about replacing the reciever I dont know. "we all know that some csr's leave out info and some tell the customer all sorts of things like the 3 months HBO will just go away if you dont call". The customer was following the first set of instructions he recieved that said to send the unit back within 15 days if there was a problem. He put the return packaging label from that.
 

Texanmutt

SatelliteGuys Guru
Oct 3, 2005
142
0
Somewere in texas
Regardless of whose fault it is, they should send the guy another remote. He didn't lose, break, steal or keep it. It's funny to hear all these nickel and dime people stick up for dish over a remote that the guy SENT BACK TO DISH. Do you really think it cost dish $32 for a remote.

I would have a different opinion if the guy broke or lost the remote, but he accidentally sent it back to dish network. GET REAL !!!
 

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
5,692
3
Florissant, CO
I've gotta agree with Texanmutt. Those remotes cost less than $10 in quantity.

Just in the interest of customer relations, they should do it - but E* doesn't gve a flying F about existing customers.
 

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
27,807
6,469
Moscow Russia
If he has the "dish protection plan" Why not call in and report it broken.. I have never had to send back a broken remote
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top