Dish Network equipment & picture quality & customer service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dnelson

Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I got service a week ago Saturday and am so disappointed I have canceled. First off I will discuss the equipment. I got 2 722s. Both have very loud fans (one being worse than the other). Even when they are turned off they sound like a buzz saw.

My second issue is the washed out soft picture on my new 46 inch Samsung LCD. This may not be noticeable on a screen say 37 inches or less as my 32 inch looks okay. I compared the PQ on over the air HD, Comcast HD, and Dish HD and couldn't get over the difference. Has anyone with this large of a TV tried and seen these results?

My final experience is the kicker. I was told over the phone that I would get use of two HD DVRs with a 2 year commitment which was fine considering the package I was signing up with.

The installer came and found out that there was a $249 upgrade fee which I reluctantly agreed to considering over 2 years the monthly service would break down to a manageable monthly fee similiar to Comcasts $13 a month.

Now they tell me that the upgrade fee is non refundable so not only am I stuck with the $240 cancellation fee but also the upgrade fee for a service/receiver that was used for one week. Don't even tell me Dish Network won't charge an upgrade fee on that same receiver for the next customer. That is stealing and the I welcome any recourse suggestions.

The receiver had some innovative features, it's a shame the HD PQ had to bring out the unexceptable customer relations of Dish Network.

I got service a week ago Saturday and am so disappointed I have canceled. First off I will discuss the equipment. I got 2 722s. Both have very loud fans (one being worse than the other). Even when they are turned off they sound like a buzz saw.

My second issue is the washed out soft picture on my new 46 inch Samsung LCD. This may not be noticeable on a screen say 37 inches or less as my 32 inch looks okay. I compared the PQ on over the air HD, Comcast HD, and Dish HD and couldn't get over the difference. Has anyone with this large of a TV tried and seen these results?

My final experience is the kicker. I was told over the phone that I would get use of two HD DVRs with a 2 year commitment which was fine considering the package I was signing up with.

The installer came and found out that there was a $249 upgrade fee which I reluctantly agreed to considering over 2 years the monthly service would break down to a manageable monthly fee similiar to Comcasts $13 a month.

Now they tell me that the upgrade fee is non refundable so not only am I stuck with the $240 cancellation fee but also the upgrade fee for a service/receiver that was used for one week. Don't even tell me Dish Network won't charge an upgrade fee on that same receiver for the next customer. That is stealing and the I welcome any recourse suggestions.

The receiver had some innovative features, it's a shame the HD PQ had to bring out the unexceptable customer relations of Dish Network.

Bye bye! :wave

You should not have signed if you believed you were getting them for no charge. A call to Dish would have been mandatory. You also signed a contract which specifies cancellation terms. That's all on you, I'm afraid.

You should not have signed if you believed you were getting them for no charge. A call to Dish would have been mandatory. You also signed a contract which specifies cancellation terms. That's all on you, I'm afraid.
What he said.:up

picture quality

If you picture quality is not good, your tv may be set to what the cable was giving you. You should try changing the tv settings to see if your pq can be improved.

I have my TV calibrated for over the air broadcast which doesn't introduce anything artificial. Thanks for your response!

I have my TV calibrated for over the air broadcast which doesn't introduce anything artificial. Thanks for your response!
Doesn't matter. You should adjust for the HDMI input on your TV.

Go into the 722 menu and check that the output was changed from 480p. This is often overlooked. Then adjust the tv from there.

If you still feel its no better than cancel.

We have a 32 LCD, 42 LCD and 65 DLP rear proj on 2 622s. Best pq is OTA through the 622, a very, very close second is sat and a distant 3rd is my local cable. And I think I'm probably one of many with that size screen and similar pq.

I have two of them one on a 55" WS Mit. One on a WS 42" Sony, both have stunning picture quality.

I would say it's something to do with the settings or bad cable, but hey all I know is my picture is GREAT!

Since you've already cancelled, it probably doesn't make sense to reply to this thread, but both my 622 and 722 are very quiet. In fact, my 622 is just a few feet from my bed and it makes almost no noise at all.

As for the picture quality, no complaints at 61" on either the HD or most of the SD channels (some of the SDs suck, but some SDs suck on all providers).

I got service a week ago Saturday and am so disappointed I have canceled. First off I will discuss the equipment. I got 2 722s. Both have very loud fans (one being worse than the other). Even when they are turned off they sound like a buzz saw..

This almost always comes down to what the unit is sitting on. I have seen this happen where just a bit of felt under the feet stopped it. Not to say you may not have a bad unit, but more times than not it was whatever the unit was sitting making the noise.

My second issue is the washed out soft picture on my new 46 inch Samsung LCD. This may not be noticeable on a screen say 37 inches or less as my 32 inch looks okay. I compared the PQ on over the air HD, Comcast HD, and Dish HD and couldn't get over the difference. Has anyone with this large of a TV tried and seen these results?.

Always comes down to the tv is not setup properly. Most installers don't have the experience or the time to do this. It is the customers responsibility to learn how to use "THEIR" equipment. I know if I have a great picture with one input and another does not look as good, I am going to be messing with that tv to find out why. But it is also normal for people to just blame it on the provider!

As others have said, you should know what your getting into when you sign that paper. I really don't think you ever gave the service a chance, and now you want to blame everyone but yourself.

I have (2) 722's. One does seem to have a slight sound, but it isn't real bad. I am going to swith them around. If I am still not pleased, I will switch it out.

I also have to add the picture quality is fine. You must of had something setup and or hook up wrong. I have a 622 and a 722 one hooked to a 42" lcd the other to a Mitsubishi projector displayed on 119" screen.

I will agree that you may have a problem with the fan noise. As stated above location is a factor, but some do just run loud almost all the time.

So you canceled without asking for an explanation of the charges and telling them what the CSR told you when you signed up?

So you canceled without finding out if your TV was properly adjusted?

So you you think the noise of a 722 fan is as loud as a buzz saw?

Bye bye!!

Think about it - if it were that Dish has a washed out picture for everyone, there would not only be threads of complaints about it, but most people especially on a forum like this would not put up with it and would drop Dish. So it comes down to your TV, and adjusting it........

Sorry so many want to flame you but something is definitely wrong with this picture (pun intended:rolleyes:). I am NO FAN of Dish customer service but I have a 622 and a 722 hooked up to a 42" LCD & a 65"RPTV. HD picture quality is excellent on both. SD varies between poor to ok depending on the channel but this is the norm for HD TVS. Both sets can receive locals OTA as well and the PQ is about the same as from Dish. Something isn't hooked up or adjusted correctly. My 1st guess has already been mentioned---the receivers are set for 480p instead of 720p or 1080i. That's what happened to me on my 1st HD receiver install. I've seen posts where an inept installer actually hooked up an HD receiver via composite instead of component or HDMI. Your TV needs to be tweaked for whatever input you're using as well. Whatever the set up is for OTA may not be best for satellite.
Best of luck with whatever your decide but you should be getting a great picture with those 722's.:up
Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)