Dish Network Fails HDTV Followers

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
Per Charlie Chat.

Charlie has no plans to add any HD until possibly next summer. He says there is no compelling HD channel out there.

No compelling HD channels? What do you call INHD1 and 2? What do you call Cinemax HD? What do you call Starz HD? What do you call Bravo HD?

Q. What do you think the reason for the recent great specials on HD equipment was for?

A. To secure HD viewers into a substandard HD package with a commitment until they can figure out how to carry more HD.

Oh brother, and this is from the Leader in HDTV. Wait, that has evolved into the smaller scoped Leader in Satellite HD

Charlie, to the back of the HD bus with you.

Charlie said that they were carrying everything he knew about, so e-mail ceo@echostar.com and let him know that they're available NOW and that his customers want it.

Boy, I wish Comcast would get this #%@#%&) cable system upgraded and I'd switch to them in a second until Dish figures out what the heck they're going to do.

Charlie really sucks. He thinks we're a bunch of idiots. Maybe we are. We bought into his Bullsh!t. I am truly pissed about this nonsense and will fire off a scathing email!!!

gpflepsen said:
A. To secure HD viewers into a substandard HD package with a commitment until they can figure out how to carry more HD.

No commitment here. I was not required to make an HD pack commitment for my 811. I just wanted the HD receiver - don't have the HDTV yet...but will soon. So I'm not getting the HD pack yet.

TimR21><>

Based on what I've read, ... Voom HD channels are a largely a waste of bandwidth.. sorry.. Looking at the channels and whats on most of them, its not worth it. While I am sure that someone can perhaps appreciate some of that programming, its not me..

The only channels perhaps worthwhile would be the movie channel HD channels, however you still have to be willing to sub to HBO, Starz, or one of them to get the "Lone" HD channel they provide.

Perhaps Dish is looking at it this way, that there are not enough HD subscribers to keep the cost down on HD or they did not want to put more money into HD than what they are spending until they get more cash flow coming in from HD subscriptions. In other words they may be afraid of making an investment in something at least all at once but would rather do it gradually, could possibly look better in the books for stockholders.

Stargazer,

I read what you said and I agree with you. But how can Charlie come on TV and said that there is no more HD available except what E* provides. This I do not like. I do not like the fact that it took him 6 months to add hdnet and hdnet movies when he already had a contract agreement. It took him 5 months to add espn-hd. Bravo-hd has been out since the summer and E* has not picked up. Now Star-HD, Cinemax-HD, and TMC-HD are out and Charlie says that they are not! He also promised capacity for 50 new HD channels and it does not look that it will happen immediately.

In conclusion, Charlie is trying to buy time from us. He has no plans for HD right now. He's very interested in all these locals. Sorry but I think I have gone this road before with Charlie.

Perhaps Charlie is testing us to see how many HD customers he can get with what he has available now. Maybe he thought that by having all the HD channels on Dish500 would get just as many HD customers as adding more HD channels and that he would not have the cost in upgrading everyone that wanted HD to SuperDish that he could use the money for other things like reducing the price on the 811's instead. Perhaps he is trying some different strategies with this, which would buy some time, as you said.

This is one of the reasons I jumped ship. I bought a 6000 ( at full price) in May 2002. Programmming was supposed to be added that summer that drug out forever. Then the HD pack was promised this year months before it ever showed up. New HD programming is always next _________ (fill in the blank).

Remember when Charlie said he would be the leader in HD? Well it is obvious the focus is now as many locals and internationals as possible. Thats is where the money is. HD is on the back burner.

Charlie said he would be the HDTV leader until he figured out that LIL brought in more $$. So, bye bye HDTV hello LIL. He probably figures (probably correctly) that he can get far more subs in by offering more LIL markets than departing subs over HDTV. He does not view VOOM as a serious threat, and as long as he has every channel DIRECTV has he is sitting pretty.

High (def) Stakes Poker

embarrassing.

The one word I think most aptly describes the stupidity we saw last night. What was that ridiculous poker game video? I know we're all used to inane "guests" and silly videos during these chats but that was a new low. Of course when you consider that the folks assembled around that table make more money on their bank account interest in one day than I will during my career, maybe they're onto something? I'm going to start doing the hokey pokey around my workstation.

But I digress...

The point of this post (yep, I really do have one): I'm wondering if HD programming expansion is really dead because Charlie and Co "are aware of everything out there" and don't see any HD worthwhile to add. Or are they playing poker with the programmers...again.

They took a LONG time last night explaining that they were serious about dropping the AOL/Time Warner channel block (CNN, etc.) due to high price demands. They even produced graphics to show that all the stuff AOL/TW carries is available on other Dish channels. Might Charlies statement that there isn't any HD worth adding right now a subtle shot across the bow of the programmers they have been negotiating with?

I'm sure Charlie will argue that he doesn't really NEED to add InHD1 & 2 because he already has that programming on HDNet, etc., etc.

Who knows? Maybe I'm just holding out hope that we'll see additional HD in my lifetime. :)

Cheers,

Re: High (def) Stakes Poker

Bartman said:
I'm sure Charlie will argue that he doesn't really NEED to add InHD1 & 2 because he already has that programming on HDNet, etc., etc.

Just like on a recent chat where he said he wasn't inclined to carry NFL TV because that programming is already on ESPN Classic. :rolleyes:

The new Direct TV Sat 7 will be up in March- they will then add new Locals and many new HD Channels.

They will beat Dish Network once again.

I am thinking of switching this week to get once of those $39 Direct Tivos and the new HDTV Tivo in March for $700-800 when it comes out.

Re: High (def) Stakes Poker

gpflepsen said:
Bartman said:

Just like on a recent chat where he said he wasn't inclined to carry NFL TV because that programming is already on ESPN Classic. :rolleyes:

I tend to agree with this, actually. NFL TV is pretty stupid as an HD offering, as their only HD program right now is an HD highlight set of one game that's 3 days old. 2 hours a week? No games? Dumb dumb dumb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts