DISH Network Files Reply in Support of Petitions for FCC to Deny Comcast-Time Warner Cable Merger

The relevant part of the article to me is (assuming true) he had what looked a like deal with big time companies then wanted to change the terms. The rest is part speculation and explained by allegiances by bankers to other businesses involved. If it was just selling DISH to At&t I would understand a last minute regret, but happening again in a buying situation is not how to make friends in the business community.
If it was a "one time" event you could defend Charlies tactics but when he has a history going back over decades, well he has no defensible position.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
bankers dont want to deal with Charlie, basically he burnt bridges and how he has fallen on his own sword due to these business tactics.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...p-said-wary-of-ergen-as-he-mulls-t-mobile-bid
The banks only say this to hide the fact that Dish's competitors in such cited attempted transactions have LOTS MORE money and use it to make clear to the banks that if they finance an Egran takeover for which such company is also trying to buy, they will NOT do ANY business with that bank. See the Softbank mobile services company merger terror threat tactics as one example. Charlie is a small fry and will always get outspent by his competitors who have far more deep pockets to buy WHO and WHAT ever is necessary to get what they want in any takeover attempt by Ergan or Dish or Echostar if they are competing to buy that business. At every turn, Charlie has been outspent or outmaneuvered (unethical tactics that make Charlie look like a saint). Plain and simple. Please, for real pirates and not trustworthy CEO's (who also break promises to financiers), and leverage lawsuits, do your research on Tom Roberts, Rupert Murdoch, John Malone et al. You will find FAR MORE willing to go on record of how bad it is to do business with these people and how they can NEVER be trusted. They just stab those with less money in the back, and they never suffer the losses and always get their way and what they want because they have vast amounts of such money to grease our government and anyone else for sale and tons of cash still leftover for other deeds. Nobody cares how they were treated by a CEO or a company. They only care if they have the MOST money to give them. That is big, mutual-national corporate business. Like Wall Street would ever say no to money. Companies take a pass on financed deal everyday, and everyone around that system still makes money. Please, $$$$ is all its about. They don't care if you have character or ethics, only if you grease their palm now. Charlie has never been a natural palm greaser. He still tries to run his business as the small one he began: as a business not quite willing to go as far (nor have the money to do so) as Murdoch, Roberts, or any of the other really big companies are willing to sell out your soul and everybody else. Really, do compare anything Egran has done to what John Malone did in his eventual take-over of DirecTV. Malone used his personal friendship and many years as the PRIME partner in their pirate days of corporate raiding as the Trojan Horse to attempt to takeover Newscorp away from Murdoch. Poor Rupert had to sell the Dodgers to get the cash needed to buy back LOTS of Newscorp stock and save his company, but forced to give DirecTV to Malone to make up for some insufficient cash. Needless to say, Ol' John burnt a bridge with Rupert as he (Murdoch) immediately referred to the DirecTV he just lost to Malone as a "Bird Turd." My, talk about broken promises and trusts and burn bridges. That takeover takes the cake in Master Class Back Stabbing.

Last edited:
The banks only say this to hide the fact that Dish's competitors in such cited attempted transactions have LOTS MORE money and use it to make clear to the banks that if they finance an Egran takeover for which such company is also trying to buy, they will NOT do ANY business with that bank. See the Softbank mobile services company merger terror threat tactics as one example. Charlie is a small fry and will always get outspent by his competitors who have far more deep pockets to buy WHO and WHAT ever is necessary to get what they want in any takeover attempt by Ergan or Dish or Echostar if they are competing to buy that business. At every turn, Charlie has been outspent or outmaneuvered (unethical tactics that make Charlie look like a saint). Plain and simple. Please, for real pirates and not trustworthy CEO's (who also break promises to financiers), and leverage lawsuits, do your research on Tom Roberts, Rupert Murdoch, John Malone et al. You will find FAR MORE willing to go on record of how bad it is to do business with these people and how they can NEVER be trusted. They just stab those with less money in the back, and they never suffer the losses and always get their way and what they want because they have vast amounts of such money to grease our government and anyone else for sale and tons of cash still leftover for other deeds. Nobody cares how they were treated by a CEO or a company. They only care if they have the MOST money to give them. That is big, mutual-national corporate business. Like Wall Street would ever say no to money. Companies take a pass on financed deal everyday, and everyone around that system still makes money. Please, $$$$ is all its about. They don't care if you have character or ethics, only if you grease their palm now. Charlie has never been a natural palm greaser. He still tries to run his business as the small one he began: as a business not quite willing to go as far (nor have the money to do so) as Murdoch, Roberts, or any of the other really big companies are willing to sell out your soul and everybody else. Really, do compare anything Egran has done to what John Malone did in his eventual take-over of DirecTV. Malone used his personal friendship and many years as the PRIME partner in their pirate days of corporate raiding as the Trojan Horse to take Newscorp away from Murdoch. Needless to say, Ol' John burnt a bridge with Rupert as he immediately referred to the DirecTV he just lost to Malone as a "Bird Turd." My, talk about broken promises and trusts and burn bridges. That takeover take the cake in Masters Back Stabbing.

26th richest man in america that isnt small fry.

This really is a bad merger because it involves the number 1 and 2 MSO's. It is bad for even more reasons than stated in Dish's opposition. Every consumer organization also agrees. However, I would've supported the failed merger of Charter Communications with TMC because Charter was so small, and that merged company would have represented some close competitive equal on a scale to Comcast in regards to critical mass, but it still would have left Comcast at #1, but with real competition in the media realm.

26th richest man in america that isnt small fry.
Uh, his company is and even his place on the list is SMALL FRY. The vast majority of his wealth is Dish and Echostar stock ONLY, so the poor barefoot boy from Tennessee is strapped for cash to outspend his competitors. He doesn't even own enough truly big companies to sell for much money and Dish is valued at far less than DirecTV. But it is the CORPORATE wealth that fuels these mergers NOT PERSONAL wealth, and Ergans is all tied up right now to give him controlling interests in his companies. You have to compare how much larger Charlie's, Dish's, and Echostar's competitors are to see how SMALL he and Dish/Echostar really are. The scale is relative, not absolute. Then you see the forest for the trees.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
FCC Wants to Know More About Dish’s New Web-TV Service

http://recode.net/2015/01/14/fcc-wants-to-know-more-about-dishs-new-web-tv-service/

The Federal Communications Commission asked Dish Wednesday about how it reached agreements to carry channels on its new service, as the agency’s review of Comcast’s $45 billion deal to acquire Time Warner Cable heats up.

The agency asked Dish for “any and all of its agreements with the following programming entities relating to video programming to be provided on Dish’s Sling TV service,” including “all documents relating to each negotiation”: A&E Networks, CBS, Comcast, ABC, E.W. Scripps and Turner Broadcasting System.

I thought it amusing that Comcast said there was no problem as they did not compete in those markets with TWC...so monopolies are OK to combine ? <g>

Unless the terms of DISH's agreements with the SlingTV channels are radically different from the terms of Comcast's and TWC's originated content agreements with carriers, how could this possibly be germane?

I don't see the FCC as being set up or empowered to determine financial fairness.

If this merger is approved, then the FCC might as well disband - or at a minimum allow a Dish-DirecTV-Viacom merger to create a real competitor to Comcast-TWC-NBC.

If this merger is approved, then the FCC might as well disband - or at a minimum allow a Dish-DirecTV-Viacom merger to create a real competitor to Comcast-TWC-NBC.
Ignoring the fact that the AT&T <-> DIRECTV merger is moving through the FCC along with the Comcast <-> TWC merger.

Reactions: ChadT41
Price increases...merging to reduce competition...I'm being to lean the way of OTA+Roku. Time to start busting that bubble.
While this is becoming more attractive, there are still a number of classes of time-sensitive content you can't reliably get through OTA + Roku. Roku is a lot like videotape from a TV watching standpoint and I don't see a cure for that.

Thank you very much. I am currently writing a paper for my Eng Class on the topic of "internet growth and ownership in the U.S., and its effect on the American Commerce". This fits right in. I saw one on the EU doing something with Internet regulations for similar reasons that net net duality was an issue, but I can't remember what exactly it was. These two, though, will get me on the path I need to get my A. (It's a 102 class, so it needs minimal effort honestly)

I would be more comfortable with a Charter buyout than Comcast. Atleast they still won't own more than 50% of the market. I still would rather keep them all seperate but if it has to happen, that would be better.

Does anyone know if Charter uses internet band with caps like Comcast does?

Charter I believe is 400gb a month.

Comcast does not have caps in every market it serves, here in Michigan we have none ( but they keep trying ), the main reason is in a lot of Comcast areas here they have competition in Uverse, Charter , Bright House and WOW and soon Century Link.

I have noticed that in most of the areas that have caps there is no competition with Comcast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)