Dish Network for Camper

rifleman625

Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
What do I need to use one of my extra receivers in my camper? I am looking at getting an extra dish. Is there a certain one I need to get all of my available programming? Thanks.

Since you didn't say what your programming is and you didn't say where you were or where you would camp the answer is... Any dish will work just fine.

A Dish 500 will get most of your channels and is pretty easy to set up...
That's what I use but I don't have the same programming as the OP and though my locals are on spot beams I seldom travel anywhere outside the area the beam covers.

I should rephrase that, misty :D, we are still under fire restrictions and the forest and BLM land just opened last week... I have a slimline and Direct receiver I am going to set up next time... turned off my 811 as the Direct receiver has more programming (distants)

I just traded my 301 for a 211 in the hope the threatened addition of EHD will enable me to bring a drive to the desert with all the recorded stuff from the home 622.

I don't know what a slimline is (in this case anyway). What is it?

It's the Directv 5 lnb dish for getting the newer HD channels... a monster though, I should do the same and get a 211...
Geez! What size is the dish for a monster like that? How much does it go for?

I was afraid the 500 would have me missing too much HD but on two trial runs I didn't feel like I missed a thing on 129 though some channels on it are ones I do watch once in a while.

I am pinning all my hopes in eventually getting the EHD going and then all the "Must See TV" will be safe on the drive and in the desert I just need to get news and maybe late night History Channel which the wife and I use as a sleeping drug.
Two minutes after they start to tell us about the u-boat war in the Atlantic for the umpteenth time we're gone

DIRECTV Slimline 5LNB Dish, Dual-LNB (2LNB) and Triple-LNB (3LNB) Dishes the bottom one is the Slimline, but I got it elsewhere for much less... I used to take a 501 but it was very slow to find the satellites... :)btw, it is actually wet outside so I guess I made the right choice, if it drys out I might take a 1 night tent trip tomorrow instead (take tripod, small gen set, Phase III and 15" Lcd)

boy, camping sure has changed. satellite receivers? electric generators? i remember if we had a battery (D cell) radio that got am AND fm, we thought we were doing good.

it begs the question, "Why go camping?" I ask my wife the same thing... Whenever we talk of taking our travel trailer somewhere, she always wants to make sure the TV will work there. I always want to make sure the internet will be available. If I think about it, the reason I want to 'go away' is to not have to worry about the phone ringing. Easy answer, turn off the phone. If we are going to "see the sites" that's what the internet is for right? or maybe the TV too. I don't know, just felt like rambling I guess...

The older I get, the more spoiled... :)
Right.

Roughing it means having to sleep in a queen bed instead of the Cal king at home; having to watch 19" LCD HDTV between my toes instead of 32" LCD HDTV between my toes at home ; seeing only 110 and 119 instead of 110, 119 and 129 at home; first one up lighting the stove and putting the coffee on instead of the Braun automatically brewing a fresh pot of joe 30 minutes before I wake up; and the biggest killer of all... no microwave when your living on solar panels and batteries.

To make up for these hardships we see zillions of stars instead of the 10 or 12 in the city(on a good night); no evidence of human habitation instead of unwillingly "enjoying" the neighbors patio party, complete with DJ; watching the sun set over the mountains instead of it disappearing behind the street light then the neighbors house across the street; listening to coyotes howl instead of the sirens and neighborhood dogs.

But the ultimate "roughing it" trade off for me is sitting in absolute silence at dusk in the desert with some fine bourbon and marveling as the desert disappears into a infinite universe of stars, counting dozens of satellites then pointing my 8 inch Dobsonian at the current planet and counting it's moons, rings, or shrinking polar cap or just staring at some open star clusters.

This year is abnormal as I have only been camping a couple of times, I usually go 1-2 times a month... I live in the country so it's not that noisy but It is nice to watch the sun go down and enjoy the silence up in the hills. I bring a dish along so I have news weather and entertainment if I want... Some shots from a couple of years ago...I use a Infocus X1...

Attachments

• Campfire theater.JPG
    Campfire theater.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Campfire theater 2.JPG
    Campfire theater 2.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 199
  • Camper dish.JPG
    Camper dish.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 188
you paint a pretty picture. sounds like you really enjoy it. I truely envy you.
Thank you but today isn't a day to envy me. Because of an illness in the family we've only been to the desert for seven days total in two visits in the last 24+ months.

I suppose that's why I recall it so vividly. I really miss it just now. My spot is predicted to hit 113 today but if I could go right now I most certainly would.

One day soon I will go back and bake my bones for weeks on end. Then I will be deserving of envy.

This year is abnormal as I have only been camping a couple of times, I usually go 1-2 times a month... I live in the country so it's not that noisy but It is nice to watch the sun go down and enjoy the silence up in the hills. I bring a dish along so I have news weather and entertainment if I want... Some shots from a couple of years ago...I use a Infocus X1...
This is the guy to envy!! One or two times A MONTH!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)