Dish Network GUI suggestion...

CC is missing something bigger for me. Why does it not have an option to be activated upon muting? My TV's do, and have for years and years.

CC is missing something bigger for me. Why does it not have an option to be activated upon muting? My TV's do, and have for years and years.

On my TV which is standard definition TV the CC works that way through the coax or S-Video.It does not work at all with 480i Component.Guess that's why the HD DVRs like the 722k/wMT2 I use has CC builtin?.

I think there was a logic behind its current design. Not every customer is as "tech savvy" as you guys. I know that CC calls number in the gazillions regarding the CC "box of death". I think they made kept the button off of the remote for a very specific reason: people hit mute in TV mode right now on the remote currently, the "box" shows up covering most of the screen (no data), and then in Sat mode they try and get rid of it. We get calls about it a lot. I personally took 10 a day, some days. I just told customers to HR the TV and its gone again, but they manage to do it over and over just to call back convinced its a receiver issue. In fact, someone posted on Satguys about the "not smart" agent who told them that was what their problem was.

On boxes with the feature, I could see it, but I still see large numbers of phone calls generated with that one button being added.

Well ... you see (Closed Captions) that's what doesn't make sense ... why isn't the 722k catching that the MUTE is pressed on the remote ... and so update the CC's to be in Mute Mode?

That's the way its been on my cable boxes in the past ... I never had the problem with my 625's ... and I'm guessing that the CC doesn't head down the HDMI properly or something?

I mean really ... I use to use the CC on Mute feature of my TV ALL THE TIME so that when calls come in I can see what's going on by reading the CC's..

Dish should find a way around this.. even if its to make the remotes send out dual commands for the "Mute" button ... a command that mutes the TV, and a secondary command that tells the box "Toggle CC mode"

Tony, I do see a potential problem but still feel it is a pretty big thing missing. When you hit the mute on the Dish remote, it should turn on the CC, if you have the feature turned on in the menu. The problem would come in if you used the TV remote to unmute it. But how often does someone do that? I think after awhile everyone would figure that out.

I don't think that when you hit mute, CC should automatically be enabled. Sometimes I may press mute when I get a phone call or something like that. I really just want a discreet code for toggling closed captions on/off. With that, you could simply program a harmony remote control to use that code.

Uh, that is exactly when it is most convenient, when you get a phone call. You wouldn't have to use it, it would be enabled/disabled in the menu. Having a separate button serve to turn on CC without muting would be fine also, but it only makes sense to have one button mute and turn on the CC, just as, once again, almost every TV I have owned has done for years.

Again, if there was a separate button as you describe fine, but I don't want Dish doing things just for people who use other remotes, when the vast majority use the Dish remotes, especially with the advent of the 21.0.

P.S. you can already do what you want with a Harmony using a little ingenuity....

Last edited:
I think there was a logic behind its current design. Not every customer is as "tech savvy" as you guys. I know that CC calls number in the gazillions regarding the CC "box of death". I think they made kept the button off of the remote for a very specific reason: people hit mute in TV mode right now on the remote currently, the "box" shows up covering most of the screen (no data), and then in Sat mode they try and get rid of it. We get calls about it a lot. I personally took 10 a day, some days. I just told customers to HR the TV and its gone again, but they manage to do it over and over just to call back convinced its a receiver issue. In fact, someone posted on Satguys about the "not smart" agent who told them that was what their problem was.

On boxes with the feature, I could see it, but I still see large numbers of phone calls generated with that one button being added.

Just for informative purposes when I used DirecTV R22 CC on or off was assigned to the yellow button,now using Dish Network's 722k with the 20.0 remote control even though when you press one of the four different colored button and the SAT button on the remote control lights up there is no function assigned yet for the muilticolored buttons.So it would seem there could be a function like CC on or off added.
Just a suggestion.:)

P.S. you can already do what you want with a Harmony using a little ingenuity....
Not on the 922!!! It takes over 15 key presses to turn closed captions on/off. Unlike the 722, the 922 does not have numeric equivalents for the menu system, so you're stuck with using the arrow keys to navigate. I believe that most harmony with macro capability only support around 5 sequences.

I am not a lawyer but I bet this is in violation of some accessibility regulation somewhere. Closed Caption on/off really needs to be a single button press. I suggest using the page buttons, which currently do nothing when in full screen viewing.

...but I bet this is in violation of some accessibility regulation somewhere. Closed Caption on/off really needs to be a single button press.
Actually, this appears to be somewhat true. S3304, which was signed by the President into law late last year, does require that there be "simpler access" (not specifically the wording in the law) to CC.

I read a complaint from a U-Verse user and it requires (23) button clicks to turn on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really LOOOOOVE this GUI! It looks very cool (in my opinion). I love how the logos are placed. Everyone take a look at it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like somewhere in the software in that receiver the developer's did a OOPSEE!.;):D

Huh??

It's a documented feature. In fact if you use the other method (star button) you get a screen message reminding you that you can use the page buttons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)