Dish network guide and DVR

soonerman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Just thought this would be useful to some of you guys. I just switched to my local cable provider (Cox Communications) from Dish. The savings in my "bundle" was the main reason for the switch because I am saving money.

I played with the DVR and guide functions. While I love the "On Demand" from Cox which has an extensive library of free shows and movies and the free HD, I have to say that the guide and DVR are nothing compared to Dish Networks. Dish was so intuitive on the guide and DVR. Cox isn't. It doesn't have nearly the functions or capabilities that Dish has. For someone who never experienced these from Dish, they wouldn't know any difference. However, afte coming from Dish, I find that these services are seriously lacking on Cox's side. I will adjust and learn to use these from Cox, but I will always be comparing them to Dish and finding that they are nothing in comparison.

This just goes to prove that every provider has it strong suits and weaknesses. Kudos to Dish for having such and excellent guide and DVR!

I had the same experience with Charter. Their Moxi box is crap, their guide info lacks and it only had a 40 gig hard drive. Not to mention Charter in my area has NO VOD. And Dish does have the best guide info and DVR's available anywhere. Now if only Dish can get real VOD (currently DishOnline is an April Fools Joke) and make a deal with MLB EI, I would be happy couch potato.:D

Soonerman, I would check your timers frequently on the Cox box. My sister's new husband didn't want to switch to Dish until they move to their new house this summer so they kept his Cox bundle ( and she put her account on vacation) and that Motorola box drops or misses at least 2 recordings a week. They are heavy dvr users and there is no way to check how much space is left on the drive either, so it just starts deleting shows too. I am really starting to hate seeing her name on the caller id because I know what it is going to be about.

Thanks for the heads up

OSU1991,

Thanks for the heads up. I have a Scientific Atlanta box and so far so good. I will keep my eyes glued for any skipped programs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)