Dish Network in an RV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bobinraymoremo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Raymore MO
I am totally confused so if this does not make sense there is a good reason : )

I am close to ordering an RV and I want to make sure that the satellite prep is done right when I add an antenna on the roof to get all the HD channels from Dish Network. We are TV-aholics, there I said it, so we plan on a two tuner DVR in the bedroom and one in the living room. Since this antenna is automatic there will be a the need for a control wire from the living room to the antenna on the roof.

Standard satellite prep is one rg-6 coax cable to the living room and one rg-6 coax cable to the bedroom. I have been told that two cables are needed to each area, is that correct? I have also been told that the DPP Separators will not work with these LNBs. Finally, I have also been told that the Multiswitch, 3 inputs to 8, will work with at least one of the providers.

Help, I am confused, does any of this make sense?

You need to be a little more specific about the antenna you added on the roof. If it's a dome it will not work with a separator and I don't think you'll be happy with it for multi receivers.

I have ruled out the domes because they do not get very many HD channels. I think there are only two options, Winegard HD Trav'lr or Motosat HD Universal.

You need to be a little more specific about the antenna you added on the roof. If it's a dome it will not work with a separator and I don't think you'll be happy with it for multi receivers.

You need to ask if they supply a dish pro lnb or a dish pro plus lnb with either of the two.

If they use only dish pro lnbs then separators won't work. If they supply dish pro plus lnbs then you're good with a separator and only one wire to each receiver.

Their online literature says dish pro lnbs but I would call them and verify that. If they are using dish pro lnbs then I would run two cables to each receiver location.

It has been my experience that retailers will tell you it will work, when if fact it might work with DirecTV, but not Dish. When I carried my Dish with my RV, I used a tripod. That allowed for moving the dish to a good line of sight. Might not be able to park in a good LoS. Plus, most if not all these rooftop installations do not use the proper (Dish) LNBs.

I agree with you navychop. I carry both, a 1000.2 and a 1000.4 dish in my RV and a ground mount that I use with whichever dish has a clear line of sight. I rarely have problems getting service, but I see a lot of RV's parked under trees with their big dollar automatics folded up because they don't have a clear LOS from their rooftop.

My advice is to get a good ground mount that is easy to plumb, a clinometer for checking LOS and a quality satellite meter with a couple hundred feet of RG-6 cable. Spend some time learning how to setup the dish and you're set.

Thanks for the tip, I will double check, I need to get this right

You need to ask if they supply a dish pro lnb or a dish pro plus lnb with either of the two.

If they use only dish pro lnbs then separators won't work. If they supply dish pro plus lnbs then you're good with a separator and only one wire to each receiver.

Their online literature says dish pro lnbs but I would call them and verify that. If they are using dish pro lnbs then I would run two cables to each receiver location.

Most roof mounted dishes see only 1 satellite at a time. That means if one receiver is looking fro programming from the 119 satellite and the other receiver is looking for programming off 110 you have a problem. Now add a Dual Tuner DVR and you could have 1 tuner on 110 and another wanting 119 it won't work.

Get the Winegard Traveler SK1000. You will not be happy with any other product.

The Motosat is having issues right now. I have seen and worked with all the RV dish's.

The Winegard is the best on the market right now. Pricey but worth it.

This is what I did. I have a Dish500 antenna with a DPPlus LNB (This is a must, also you can use a Dish1000 for HD). I used the dual tuner receiver to independently operate the two TVs in the Motorhome. Run one coax from the left side of the LNB to the cable-in on the exterior of the RV. Disconnect the coax at the Antenna/Cable switch in the RV from the cable input side and connect it to the receiver using a Dish Seperator (Similar to a splitter, but provided by Dish, a regular splitter won't work.), and connect to Sat1 and Sat2 on the receiver. Run AV cable from TV1 output on the receiver to the video controller Sat in. Then run AV cable from TV2 output on the receiver to the video controller Aux in. Switch the controller to Aux for TV2 to view sat programing and use RF remote control. Hope this helps

:eek:Some of this sounds confusing. Here is what I wish to accomplish. We have been RVing in North Carolina mountains for several years now, but only for 2 to 4 weeks @a time. in the same campground.

Next year, we hope to do this on a seasonal basis from May thru Oct. Because of the extended stay for next year, I have time to prepare and I want to do it correctly.

Home is St Augustine, Fl 32086 where we have a dual tuner VIP622 with HD package and a VIP211K in Master Bedroom and we are on the Eastern Arc. RV setup would be Whittier, NC 28789. I see plenty of Directv dishes in use here & I have seen in the past a Dish Network Dish in use here but I don't recall which model, although the folks using that dish were from Daytona Beach, FL.

We are not interested in the HD part for the RV but very much interested the DVR part and would invest in portable harddrive for the 211K for use in the mountains.

What dish set-up would work for us in the mountains? (I already know we would not get locals but the park does offer locals and 2 channels thru dish wired thru the park.) Would the Dish Store Dish 500 w/DishPro Twin LNBF work for us?

Thanks for assisting on this. :)

If you get the dish pro twin lnb you'll need two cables to the receiver to use the two tuners in the DVR, A better choice would be a Dish 500 with a DishPro Plus twin LNBF. With the dishPro Plus lnb you'll only need a single cable to the receiver.

If it were me, I'd get a 1000.4 in case I ever wanted to upgrade the TV in the RV to HD.

If it were me, I'd get a 1000.4 in case I ever wanted to upgrade the TV in the RV to HD.

:) Thank you for the reply. I just might be you and do that cause HD is gonna be in everyone's future, ready or not and would also be available over the air in many parks that don't offer cable.

The only thing that might be cause for concern is the ungainly size of that 1000.4 dish and if a tripod would support it. The tripod I have from by D-Days of years ago...:p

JC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)