dish network is really beginning to suck!!! (Issue Resolved)

i have exellent credit thanks just some of us would like to be able to turn our service off at our summer homes because we won't be needing it and i do leave the country as well for months at a time. and iv'e had direct since it was two seperate companies when ussb was around. now what makes more since to pay 300 bucks for service or 558 for a hopper and a joey plus 200 bucks just to be under no contract. and directv took me back with no problems. and i do have two accounts with em one for my summer house and one for my main residence as well.
Grammar, spelling and punctuation all seem to have improved in this last post. Do we have 10 pages of our leg being pulled????

Was the $200 to offset the installation cost, or did you have the reception equipment already installed?

how long ago was that when they charged 99.00 or 149 they told me 200 dollars wich is bs to me. and i finaly had an honest ring leader that was honest with me today and that i could only get a flex account wich is not what i wanteddirectv treated me so much better one hr24 HD dvr was 249 and 50 bucks to turn it on. when you do the research and compare directv is cheaper in the long run than dish i wish my parents would have talked to me about this but i guess they wanted to surprize me t hough so i can understand that. i got my eyes wide open though LOL

Two homes, out the country often, great credit and your parents buy you a Hopper and Joey outright. Must be nice.

For new customers directv gives you discounts over the full 2yrs under commitment, as of now dish doesn't. With the way things are, why would anyone not want to switch back & forth every couple years to take advantage of the discounted promos? :confused:

It's not all that difficult to comprehend. "D" for the first year at 50% off regular price and the second year at a smaller discount. Plus you get the NFL Package for free as an incentive.
Sorry, I should have quoted. I wasn't referring to stardust's post. His post sneaked in before mine. :eek:

It's not all that difficult to comprehend. "D" for the first year at 50% off regular price and the second year at a smaller discount. Plus you get the NFL Package for free as an incentive.
No, more like 40% average off packages that are 22% average more than Dish

being from L.A. I knew from the poor grammar and ATTITUDE of the post that the OP was NOT native to the U.S, and these good folks just don't always learn how things are done here, even after living here for decades, they still try to push or demand things the way THEY want it, just like in the old country. I see A LOT of non U.S. native folks posting, and it is almost always a case of not understanding how business works here, and they NEVER accept STANDARD INDUSTRY PRACTICES (DirecTV does the same thing, despite the OP's assertions) in this country when they want what THEY want the way THEY want it, and if you don't do it according to their own ideas, you are branded as dishonest business. Of course, those individuals have their own business practices (if they own or run a business, and many do) that are truly NOT industry practice and in violation of consumer law themselves. This is something my family from rural American really don't understand as they are nice people and encounter pretty much only other nice people all the time. Those of us in the few really huge cities know this to be just the way it is, not a a racist attitude at all, but a fact of life. As one who has Korean friends, I can tell you Koreans, among many other people born outside the U.S., but now living here, have their OWN business practices.

Witness the OLDER Korean couple at COSTCO who broke open a package to take out only 2 items and tried to buy it at the check out with the cashier explaining to them (as if they did not already know) that that product can only be purchased as the entire package/pallet of several, not as one or two items broken from the pack. This back and forth went on for 3 minutes (with the cashier having the tired look of, "Yeah, this happens a lot, and they and these two know the way things work at COSTCO), when a younger woman, who looked like their daughter, arrived with another item, saw what was happening, and rather brusquely grabbed the two items from the conveyer belt and gave, who I believe were her parents, such a glare that you would never want your cat, let alone your own grown, adult child to give you, as if to say, "Knock this @#$% off!" At that point, daughter to the rescue and everyone moved on.

Last edited:
So as not to single out Koreans, I witnessed similar with family of a Philippine friend of mine.

stardust3 said:
For new customers directv gives you discounts over the full 2yrs under commitment, as of now dish doesn't. With the way things are, why would anyone not want to switch back & forth every couple years to take advantage of the discounted promos? :confused:

So you are saying if i switched back to directv i would get the promo pricing for 2 years and not one? Personally i think that is a great marketing idea because the customer should stick around for the full 2 years. How come dish hasn't implemented this?

You would get full promo pricing for 1 year, the second year discounts are not as steep.

I'm not trying to be the devils advocate but I'm only 30 but I learned from my family and I live in a fairly large city that you can still negotiate prices. I do it at Lowes all the time with the manager. You can even do it at walmart if they are clearanceing out stuff and your willing to take all of it. Sometimes all you have to do is ask for a discount. I don't do it when people are with me anymore because it embarrasses them, but in this economic climate I don't want to pay more then I have to. Now thats not to say I clip coupons because I DON'T, I do not have time for that crap but I will ask for discounts and most of time you will get one.

You have fallen for an old marketing trick. Charge more than the competitor, then give a "big" discount. When you sign for two years you may pay less than staying with Dish, and of course the same holds true leaving Direct and getting new customer discounts with Dish. But the amount saved imagined by seeing the 50% discount for the first year is inflated. We broke down an offer by Comcast a couple of years ago and found you actually saved in the neighborhood of $50, when it sounded like so much more.
Just like buying anything, look at the bottom line, the final cost to you. It's the only thing that really matters if cost is the main concern. (I would think programming and equipment also come into play, but this is about cost) I don't know about you specifically, I have had discounts or free programming I actually wanted from Dish as a longtime customer, by asking. (As the poster above very correctly noted about just asking) With the AMC departure many qualified for a discount. If you are going to compare the cost of Direct TV to Dish by using short term discounts, then you have to include what Dish might offer as a discount for an ongoing customer. With Dish being lower in cost to begin with, even a modest discount makes what you would save by switching shrink enough to be sure you really are saving anywhere near what you think. In some cases maybe you are. In some cases, not so much.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)