Dish Network must hate returning Customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You edited the dishstore.net after the fact.
Great idea, but not in the original post.
Also why imply something that doesn't apply to his situation, so why comment?

If you read the first post in the thread:

- He does not ask for help getting a deal from Dish, and

- He does make a sweeping generalization "Dish Network must hate returning customers"

So, I added the suggestion mostly for later readers who are returning customers.

But most of what I said has been in reply to the concept that TV providers should rush to give new freebies every few years to people who constantly jump from one provider to another. That is really backwards thinking, since they are the worst possible customers. (That might not apply to the OP, but again, he was not asking for help for his case.)

It's like a woman who gets engaged to you after you give her a big 2 carat diamond engagement ring, which she keeps and sells, when you are divorced. She then marries and divorces two other guys, calls you and you remember why you liked her to begin with, and ask her to get married again, and she replies:

Don't I get another diamond ring ?

She is like the returning customer who wants another $600 in freebies...

Obviously Dish Network does not feel as you do. If you read the terms of the DHA 24, Dish is encouraging 'PRIOR CUSTOMERS' to re-sign with them.

Ed

Yes, even back when I was with them. I was wrong in my last post about the six month thing (it is correct in the DHA 24 terms posted). It's basically the same as when I was there. Why would they not if you were a good customer before? If you had disconnections, non-payments, etc. it's then that you suffer the consequences.

If you read the first post in the thread:

- He does not ask for help getting a deal from Dish, and

- He does make a sweeping generalization "Dish Network must hate returning customers"

So, I added the suggestion mostly for later readers who are returning customers.

But most of what I said has been in reply to the concept that TV providers should rush to give new freebies every few years to people who constantly jump from one provider to another. That is really backwards thinking, since they are the worst possible customers. (That might not apply to the OP, but again, he was not asking for help for his case.)

It's like a woman who gets engaged to you after you give her a big 2 carat diamond engagement ring, which she keeps and sells, when you are divorced. She then marries and divorces two other guys, calls you and you remember why you liked her to begin with, and ask her to get married again, and she replies:

She is like the returning customer who wants another $600 in freebies...

I think you read way to much into his post and assumed he cared about someone else.
I'm pretty sure he didn't.
He simply made a statement after being a previous 6 year customer, not 2 year,who would've and sounded like he wanted to comeback to Dish.
Evidently the two CSR's didn't or couldn't get him a deal.
I'm sure the Dishstore will get him the best deal available, if he calls.
That was a value added comment.
It also doesn't have anything to do with a woman, a diamond ring or marriage, it's TV service.

It was 2 years after his DirecTV new customer deal, though:

My contract with DirecTV is up so it is that time where I can compare all the different services available to me (Comcast, Dish, stay with D*).

Note " stay with D* ". The implication is that changing is not due to any particular dissatisfaction with his TV service, it is due to the two years finishing, allowing the collection of more freebies.

Since it has been 7 years since he had Dish, then he must have had Comcast for 5 years in between. Thus, he already knows what each service is like, and it is "who can give me the biggest engagement ring this time" ?

I am just going from what has been posted - perhaps the situation is quite different. But there are certainly people out there who rotate through all three providers, every time their commitment period ends (and probably rotate through Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile in the same way).

Give me a call at the Dishstore in the afternoon from 2-6pm EST and ask to speak to me personally.

I can do a service request on your old account and if you indeed left in good standing we can setup you for formers DHA.

I just did this for another Satelliteguys member today. Took about an hour to setup getting clearance through Dish, but we got it done and the customer is being installed Saturday.

If I can't figure out a way to set you up again with a promotion and follow all of DISH Networks policys, nobody can!

On top of that, you get a rebate above and beyond the standard dish network promotions.

Claude Greiner
Dishstore.net
800-807-0837

Claude Greiner said:
Give me a call at the Dishstore in the afternoon from 2-6pm EST and ask to speak to me personally.

I can do a service request on your old account and if you indeed left in good standing we can setup you for formers DHA.

I just did this for another Satelliteguys member today. Took about an hour to setup getting clearance through Dish, but we got it done and the customer is being installed Saturday.

If I can't figure out a way to set you up again with a promotion and follow all of DISH Networks policys, nobody can!

On top of that, you get a rebate above and beyond the standard dish network promotions.

Claude Greiner
Dishstore.net
800-807-0837

Claude that is really cool of you to do that. How does your business make money spending that amount of time doing favors?

I am curious, because you seem to go the extra mile. I hope you still stay profitable.

First I had Dish in 2002,then DirecTV in 2006,now Dish in 2009.DirecTV doesn't want me to wait to come back already sent me 11 letters wanting me back,new customers deals just like I got with Dishnetwork when I came back.I keep both dishes up on my house(actually 3 dishes) just in case.;)

Retailers make enough money in commissions for it to be worth while to spend the time to do the sale. Trust me. Pretty good for an hour's worth of time.

But there are certainly people out there who rotate through all three providers, every time their commitment period ends (and probably rotate through Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile in the same way).
Sorry, but I fail to see anything wrong with this. When I purchase a new vehicle, I do not always buy the same brand. When I go to the grocery store, I do not always buy the same products. When I buy tv or telephone services I don't always buy the same product. Sometimes it has to do with a desire to sample something different and sometimes it has to do with pricing. It can be both factors or other factors. Regardless, it is a free country and I have the option to spend my money as I choose. It is the nature of competition. Let the best company win.

But, to each their own. OTOH, I have had long term accounts at times. Prior to signing with E*, I had been with D* for 9 years. I don't know if I would do that again.

Ed

Since it has been 7 years since he had Dish, then he must have had Comcast for 5 years in between. Thus, he already knows what each service is like, and it is "who can give me the biggest engagement ring this time" ?

I am just going from what has been posted - perhaps the situation is quite different. But there are certainly people out there who rotate through all three providers, every time their commitment period ends (and probably rotate through Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile in the same way).

I fail to see why there's anything wrong with that, that's the point of a commitment period. You have filled your commitment and your obligation.

The marriage analogy is bunk. A marriage is not a business transaction (or is not supposed to be), and the expectation of loyalty and commitment is not comparable. Businesses that show any loyalty to their customers are few and far between these days, and, in fact, it's probably against their ethical rules. Their loyalty, by law, is to their investors, not to their customers. Now, in many cases those two things are not contradictory, treat your customers well and your investors are rewarded. But clearly many businesses do not operate this way and will throw their customers under the bus at any opportunity to improve their bottom line (Goldman-Sachs, anyone?).

It is your duty (or should be) as an informed consumer to seek out the best deal available (considering not just $, but also service, convenience, and other factors). Too many people coast on existing deals, and this is why so many companies can treat their customers so crappy. Banks foist crappy fees on customers because they don't switch. Insurance companies jack rates because people don't switch. People need to vote with their feet *more* often, not less.

If it would cost E* and D* too much money too offer new customer deals to out of commitment customers, then there are other options, but not offering them anything is an incentive to churn accounts. Sprint woke up to this, they realized that offering $150 discounts on phones only to new customers was causing out-of-commitment customers to leave. Their solution was to offer that discount (their are other new customer incentives that aren't offered) to existing customers after 18 mo into the 2 yr commitment (and resetting the commitment). That way everybody's happy, the customer has new phone w/ discount, and Sprint has extended a long-term customer in good standing. And, trust me, they're still making money.

Note " stay with D* ". The implication is that changing is not due to any particular dissatisfaction with his TV service, it is due to the two years finishing, allowing the collection of more freebies.

I am just going from what has been posted - perhaps the situation is quite different. But there are certainly people out there who rotate through all three providers, every time their commitment period ends

Yep, that is what I am doing, I finished my contract with D* and shopped around what the next best deal I could get, that is the American way.

I never tried to get out of my deal with D*, I knew when I signed up that I was stuck with them for 2 years and never had a problem with that, paid my bill on time and was happy with their service.

When I left E* for Comcast 7 years ago all they said to me was when do I want to cancel, a month later I received a call from them offering me something like $20.00 off for six months( which still would have been more expensive then what I was paying to Comcast at the time) , I said no thanks and never heard anything again and I am fine with that, if they don't want me back they have that right, just like I have the right to shop around.

The reason I decided to leave D* was because I wanted to upgrade my equipment, I have one HD DVR and two standard boxes to another HD DVR and trade in my standard boxes for the 2 HD Boxes( the non DVRs), so a total of 4 boxes, when I called D* to see all much it would cost to upgrade they wanted $300.00 and my bill would go up another $30.00 a month(to $115.00 a month), so I decided to shop around.

With that, I have decided to go with Comcast, they are giving me 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD Receivers with all the non premium channels and HBO, home phone and broadband for $150.00 a month for 2 years and no contract, I live in a rebuilt Comcast area so they have plenty of HD channels, and based on their channel chart they have all the HD channels I watch regularly anyways.

So I called D* to cancel, they then offer me the boxes I wanted for $99.00 and my bill would only go up $10.00 a month(because they offered a $20.00 credit for one year) which I said no thanks because added together with net and phone from Comcast and TV from D* my bill would be $180.00 the first year and $200.00 the second year not including the one time charge of $99.00 from D* to bring the boxes to my house.

(and probably rotate through Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile in the same way).

Yep I would that also, but how Verizon keeps me on, after about a year and a half I get the offers to trade up my phone( either free or very little charge) with a new 2 year agreement, that is how they keep me, Satellite and Cable should look to that business model, that might help to cut down the churn, why wait for someone to cancel then offer them a better deal, be preemptive, for example, if D* called me up and offered me to upgrade my boxes with no charge and a new 2 year deal I would of jumped on it, they would not even had to give me the $20.00 off a month because that would of prevented me from the chance to shop around, instead of the free pay per view movie they gave me as a anniversary present ( which I would never use).

The bundling will kill Es business model.

Thats why I predict charlie will sell once the tivo lawsuit is settled.......

right now they are trying to maximise profits for a better sales price.

Even a millionaire wants to be more rich:)

Just signup thru a contractor. I did, no issues. I dropped Dish 4 years ago and signed up this past December and got all the specials.

hope it works out but beware

With that, I have decided to go with Comcast, they are giving me 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD Receivers with all the non premium channels and HBO, home phone and broadband for $150.00 a month for 2 years and no contract, I live in a rebuilt Comcast area so they have plenty of HD channels, and based on their channel chart they have all the HD channels I watch regularly anyways.

Those Motorola HD DVR's are real POS.

Full of it

The bundling will kill Es business model.

Thats why I predict charlie will sell once the tivo lawsuit is settled.......

right now they are trying to maximise profits for a better sales price.

Even a millionaire wants to be more rich:)

Charlie ain't gonna sell out he's gonna buy Tivo when they have no $$ after they loose the suit. :D Then you will be stuck w/him again. They will see your name and tell you that they no longer support your box. Not all of the Tivo priemere's just yours. :)

Charlie ain't gonna sell out he's gonna buy Tivo when they have no $$ after they loose the suit. :D Then you will be stuck w/him again. They will see your name and tell you that they no longer support your box. Not all of the Tivo priemere's just yours. :)

I don't think Charlie wants Tivo, especially if it has the 15% ownership clause price penalty.
To get around that penalty I see Charlie buying all of Tivo's patents, not the company.

I'm a retailer, and I do find this somewhat odd. I have had past customers come in who had been out of the system long enough that they qualified as new customers. AND I have had previous customers come in who qualified as former customers and got former cutomer promotions.
I'm not for sure, but I think that a factor playing into this is the way DISH has changed customer qualification rules and standards. Did they actually say the problem was the fact that you were a previous customer, or did they say you didn't "qualify" for the DHA24 promotion?
I have people who come in who have never had DISH before, but do not qualify for an account because they failed to meet a certain credit threshold. My logic on this is that if a previous customer had gone without DISH long enough, while attempting to get a new account they would fall under the new qualification guidelines. It could be....maybe...that you didn't meet the newer credit threshold. You could say "But I had been a good customer in the past." True, but maybe enough time had passed that you were not in the system as a previous customer, but fell under the new qualification guidelines as a new customer and didn't meet the threshold.
Just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)