Dish Network News from CEDIA

I bet if you have a third party external storage device that suddenly stops working or has some other issue resulting in you needing tech support the first thing they are going to ask is "Is this a DISH netowrk piece??". If not they will blame any issue on that piece of 'non-Dish' equipment, just like IBM, DELL and every other hardware vendor in the IT industry does. :(

I wonder if Dish could be getting set to have the 222 replace the 622? They could sell the external drive separately as an "upgrade" to make it function as a DVR. It would sure make it easy to replace the one part most likely to fail. At that point they would only have to support one HD box going forward.

Last edited:
dlsnyder said:
I wonder if Dish could be getting set to have the 222 replace the 622? They could sell the external drive separately as an "upgrade" to make it function as a DVR. It would sure make it easy to replace the one part most likely to fail. At that point they would only have to support one HD box going forward.
I doubt. That would be a step back: the external drive is not as smooth as the internal drive when it comes to instant replay, fast forward, etc. And I am not sure it is fast enough to support three-four simultaneous video streams the way the 622 can do now.

Tom Bombadil said:
And if it is a Dish-branded product and it stops working, we will be told it is a software problem and to wait for a fix.

It most likely be covered under DHPP and supported by tech support.

dlsnyder said:

This is what Dish should have done in the first place. They would only need one receiver going forward. Want DVR? Get an add on. Want additional tuners? Get an add on. Want more memory or more functionality? Get an add on. Make them attach to the receiver like lego's.

I think it is a HUGE disapointment to have only ONE HD tuner tv output. If they have two tv outputs then they should both have HD tv outputs. I guess it is better to have the SD second tv output than none. I will hold out on an HD DVR unless they want to upgrade me for free and I still own the unit or until they have dual HD tv outputs.

Stargazer said:
This is what Dish should have done in the first place. They would only need one receiver going forward. Want DVR? Get an add on. Want additional tuners? Get an add on. Want more memory or more functionality? Get an add on. Make them attach to the receiver like lego's.

Thoroughly uninformed and baseless conjecture here . . . if they did that and made the DVR an add-on dependent on an external hard drive, would that allow them to dodge the TiVO lawsuit?

They could put all of the DVR functionality into the hard drive add on all in one peice but I would think that they would have to make a new type of receiver that would allow for the addon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)