Dish Network on a 4K tv

BatteryDude1975

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
I'm thinking about getting a 4K tv. Was wondering if anyone one could tell me how Dish Network programming looks on a 4K tv. I'm talking about the HD and SD channels, since there isn't much 4K programming. I have the Hopper 3.

The 4K stuff looks great. (VOD or Netflix via the Hopper 3)

On my Samsung it upconverts the HD very well, but that all depends on your TV. :D

I'm looking at a Samsung js8500 series. Was curious about how regular channels looked because a BestBuy employee said that 720p didn't look good on a 4K tv. Wasn't sure what resolution Dish broadcast their channels. I know that I sound completely clueless.

While the HD channels are broadcast in either 1080i or 720p, Dish receivers only output one format. The user can select the format in the settings from a selection of four-480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i/1080p. I make this point because I leave my Hopper w/sling set to 1080i/1080p all the time even when I watch a channel like ESPN which broadcasts in 720p. I've not tried changing the setting to 720p to see if channels like ESPN might look a bit better. I just got a 4K set ten days ago (LG OLED65E6P) but I can say this set does a great job of upconverting Dish HD channels to 4K (2160p). Can't say about SD channels, since I never watch them, however, I've tried DVD's (480p) and they also look terrific on the new set.

I'm looking at a Samsung js8500 series. Was curious about how regular channels looked because a BestBuy employee said that 720p didn't look good on a 4K tv. Wasn't sure what resolution Dish broadcast their channels. I know that I sound completely clueless.

For clueless people like you and me there is www.rtings.com that has several reviews about 4K UHDTVs.Good Luck!:oldsmile2

I just got a Sony XBR65X930D last month. I am now using it as my main TV coming from a Samsung plasma set. I am very impressed with this Sony unit. It does a great job up converting the Dish channels as well as 480p DVDs.

Dish has failed its customer base by not specifying exactly the 4K output of its H3 and 4K Joey. The 4K TV industry is just as bad. They both just say 4K. We really need to know FPS, HDR, and probably more than I know about. I just read a review of my 4K TV and it lacks some 4K features. However, does Dish's 4K output need these features. Will I get 4K TV. Dish doesn't even have a test channel for 4K. If you don't have high speed internet, you cannot even test your 4K TV's capatability to Dish's 4k. This is just a case of technology poor business practice by both Dish and the TV Industry.

Dish has failed its customer base by not specifying exactly the 4K output of its H3 and 4K Joey. The 4K TV industry is just as bad. They both just say 4K. We really need to know FPS, HDR, and probably more than I know about. I just read a review of my 4K TV and it lacks some 4K features. However, does Dish's 4K output need these features. Will I get 4K TV. Dish doesn't even have a test channel for 4K. If you don't have high speed internet, you cannot even test your 4K TV's capatability to Dish's 4k. This is just a case of technology poor business practice by both Dish and the TV Industry.

Seeing that 4k is still in its infancy.....Id say your very far off base!...
Looks as Rogers Cable up North is the only company full speed ahead, and thats just on sports...
If you think they snap there fingers and everything magically becomes 4k you did not pay any attention to how long the analog to digital conversion took!

I just got a Sony XBR65X930D last month. I am now using it as my main TV coming from a Samsung plasma set. I am very impressed with this Sony unit. It does a great job up converting the Dish channels as well as 480p DVDs.
Yea....I have last years 75" 850C....I had a great screen first time...I consider myself lucky!....I streamed some 4k and it was so colorful and the images just pop!

Yeah, at this point in time 4K is a hot mess throughout. But that is expected early on. Some specs have changed as they've progressed and some of the 'future proof' gear we bought in the last year or two turned out to be not so future proof.

I just went through re-jiggering things to get 4K from the H3 and FireTV box to go to the TV and get sound right. Fortunately streaming 4K isn't doing advanced audio codecs so optical/coax digital audio does just fine.

Had to jigger some Harmony One settings to get H3 HDMI video on TV and optical straight from the H3 to the AVR so I get DD everywhere with the H3. For info, the H3 doesn't do Netflix DD or DD+ via HDMI for some odd reason.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

Yea....I have last years 75" 850C....I had a great screen first time...I consider myself lucky!....I streamed some 4k and it was so colorful and the images just pop!
Yeah, I was lucky I got a good one. Nice and straight, and very, very little clouding if any. I really can't get over how good these Sony's seem to do with color.

The OP asks probably the best question about buying a 4K TV at this time. With so little 4K material it's Broadcast and Blu-ray 1080P that matters. Some TV's do a better job of upconverting than others. While Vizio is getting good press for 4K, it does not hold up to Samsung or Sony when comes to upconverting at least when I bought my TV. My Samsung JS model does a terrific job, one of the reasons I bought it. Sony may even be better at it.

IMO, Sony's are the best for up scaling. Sharp was also excellent at it and is the reason I bought one. But now that HiSense has bought out the Sharp name and tech, I don't know if that will hold up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The OP asks probably the best question about buying a 4K TV at this time. With so little 4K material it's Broadcast and Blu-ray 1080P that matters. Some TV's do a better job of upconverting than others. While Vizio is getting good press for 4K, it does not hold up to Samsung or Sony when comes to upconverting at least when I bought my TV. My Samsung JS model does a terrific job, one of the reasons I bought it. Sony may even be better at it.

What Vizio does well is 4K for a cheaper price,even Rtings.com says"if you want a better picture,buy a more expensive 4K UHDTV" and they do recommend those models.

Unfortunately when Samsung and Sony went with their HDR&WCG models they went for a edge lit display which are not receiving the best reviews,partially because they don't support Dolby Vision.

While Vizio kept their full backlight displays with FALD for 2016,but I am not too geared up for Vizio's HDR displays with VizioCast(ChromeCast) and no OTA tuner,kinda glad I got the 2015 Vizio M Model even though it does not have HDR at all.:oldsmile2

HDR will be the standard of the industry.....If its an option, that would be one of the things I would be looking for.

Reactions: navychop
I have my 4K Samsung UN55JS7000 SUHD. Everything looks great and even better compared with my LG Plasma. I would not trade my 4K for anything that is out there right now. It up converts very well. I don;t think you will be disappointed with 4K. I use my new Dish Wally's that are 4K rated. Of course, nothing in 4K yet so they tell me. But the 1080i that I do get is very nice and clear.I also get my locals that up convert really great!

Ah, Best Buy employees. I remember hearing one telling a customer that plasma TVs have to be recharged after a while.

I did so much want to ask him to point out the recharging port. :D

Ah, Best Buy employees. I remember hearing one telling a customer that plasma TVs have to be recharged after a while.

I did so much want to ask him to point out the recharging port. :D

They recharge by collecting Ions out of the air, so it's important to also buy an Ionizer to help collect them. :rolleyes:

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)