Dish Network on my computer monitor

prithive

Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
I was planning on taking a Dish Network connection thinking i can hook up the Dish receiver directly to the S-Video input of my monitor. I have a Dell [SIZE=-1]2007WFP 20.1-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor.

Just to confirm if i can do this i mailed Dish customer care asking them if it was possible.
Today i got a mail stating:
"[/SIZE]Thank you for your email. I am sorry to inform you but you can not hook up your comuter monitor to the S-Video, it will not work at this time."
:confused:
I was pretty sure that this was possible.... Have any of you tried this before ??
And if it does work what quality can i expect

Your problem may be audio"S" video is video only hopefully that monitor has RCA connections for the audio.

Is it possible to connect the RCA output to my logitech speakers separately ?

I am still worried about the quality of picture i would get with S-Video. I was also thinking if was to get the HD receiver(which i think i wont have to pay anything extra i hope) i can use the HDMI to DVI-D cable to hook up my monitor.

Your suggestions are appreciated

Is it possible to connect the RCA output to my logitech speakers separately ?

I am still worried about the quality of picture i would get with S-Video. I was also thinking if was to get the HD receiver(which i think i wont have to pay anything extra i hope) i can use the HDMI to DVI-D cable to hook up my monitor.

Your suggestions are appreciated

What kind of plugs are on your logitech speakers? If they're like mine, you need the "gaming adapter" for them.

It looks like this:

13939442_640.jpg

As far as HD with an HDMI to DVI cable, that may or may not work. It would depend on HDCP compatability.

What kind of plugs are on your logitech speakers? If they're like mine, you need the "gaming adapter" for them.

As far as HD with an HDMI to DVI cable, that may or may not work. It would depend on HDCP compatability.

Hey thanks. Yea I guess i need to get the adapter for the speakers.Also Dell says my monitor is HDCP compatible.
Is it possible to get a HD receiver if you dont order for HD programming ?

Hey thanks. Yea I guess i need to get the adapter for the speakers.Also Dell says my monitor is HDCP compatible.
Is it possible to get a HD receiver if you dont order for HD programming ?

The CSR @ dish will most likely ask if you have a dish installed @ 129 and you'll have to pay for the programming - even if you're buying the receiver outright. At least that's what happened to me last year.

S Video will work fine. That's the way I have my DP322 receiver connected to my monitor. HDCP is a form of copyright protection that is implemented to protect content through DVI and HDMI connections. Your monitor will work but you have to have DVI or HDMI outputs on the receiver. The only Dish receivers that do are HD and not all have DVI.
S Video is the way to go since the video will not be any better simply using an HD receiver, you need to HD programming to go along with it, that's where the picture quality will be much improved but I doubt you'll notice a huge difference.

You have a few options on audio. First if your speakers are powered meaning they have a built in amplifier, you should be able to adapt the connections. Receiver's audio output is line level meaning it needs an amp to boost the signal.
Another option is running it through an amplifier and then to speakers, although I wouldn't recommend hooking up an amp to computer speakers but a nice home amp and speakers would be great.

Good Luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts