Dish Network: one step forward, two steps back!

briani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Lake Havasu City, AZ
What is going on with Dish? This company use to be a role model for the
industry. Now, they seem to floundering in mediocrity, their STB technology
has been a major disappointment(availability on products like PVR921 and 811 and the associated technical problems) their lack of a coherent direction in programming. I'm a little confused, what are they really trying to be a leader at? Is it international programming, or are they trying to be the leader in local network stations? Then again, Charlie steadfastly claims to be a leader in High Definition.......eventhough they encourage their subscribers to invest in
expensive equipment then leave them in a permanent state of suspended animation waiting for more HD programming. Seems to me that their reach
has overextended their grasp! I would like to see them decide what they want to
be and be the best at it and not try be something to everyone and be a failure at everything.

It's just a matter of time before Dish and DirecTv have just as many if not more HD channels as Voom has, and it is not all about the number of channels but the quality of the content.

Stargazer said:
It's just a matter of time before Dish and DirecTv have just as many if not more HD channels as Voom has, and it is not all about the number of channels but the quality of the content.

That will be nice for my grandchildren with their flying cars. However, I would like more HD in my lifetime.

Stargazer said:

Maybe when Voom goes out of business.

They can't go on indefinitly running at a loss. I think the intent was to make a big splash and quickly attract some heavy finiancing or get bought by one of the big guys. I'm not sure if that's happened but I know one thing. They over estimated (as did many of us ) Dish and DTV's commitment to HD. You can't effect someone in an area they really don't care about.

WaltinVt

I am sure Dish having to put some of those local channels from the wings to 110 when the new spotbeam satellite is launched will not help them add more HD channels. More people are interested in locals than HD right now but eventually most people will have their locals and then they will have a greater interest in HD.

Dish and DirecTv are dedicating their efforts into locals, Voom is dedicating their efforts into HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)