Dish Network: Poor video quality using coax cable. Dish techs at a loss!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

abarkl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I had Dish installed 30 days ago and they placed a 222k receiver on the primary set with HDMI and wired the second set using the existing coax cable. The second set is suffering from image ghosting on all channels, guides, and menus. The set has been swapped.

They came today and replaced the cables (fixing connections and grounds that weren't done correctly the first time), splitters, and receiver. They also directly connected the new receiver to the second set, same problem. They connected the coax to the primary set, same problem. They have not replaced the dish.

The tech said HD cannot be delivered through the coax to the second set! He wanted to replace my 222k and go with two 211k receivers and HDMI on each set. But neither he, nor his affiliate, or Dish is willing to absorb the extra fee of $7/month. The funny thing is I was never after HD but simply a lower cost and quality when compared to Cable TV.

They claim the problem is EMI or RFI interference at my house; I'm in a typical suburban neighborhood and have neighbors with Dish and no problems. They refuse to honor their contract of service and claim I will be responsible for cancellations fees!

The Dish technicians are at a loss and claim there's nothing else they can do!
Any thoughts???

Bad RF mod or set up

I had Dish installed 30 days ago and they placed a 222k receiver on the primary set with HDMI and wired the second set using the existing coax cable. The second set is suffering from image ghosting on all channels, guides, and menus. The set has been swapped.

They came today and replaced the cables (fixing connections and grounds that weren't done correctly the first time), splitters, and receiver. They also directly connected the new receiver to the second set, same problem. They connected the coax to the primary set, same problem. They have not replaced the dish.

The tech said HD cannot be delivered through the coax to the second set! He wanted to replace my 222k and go with two 211k receivers and HDMI on each set. But neither he, nor his affiliate, or Dish is willing to absorb the extra fee of $7/month. The funny thing is I was never after HD but simply a lower cost and quality when compared to Cable TV.

They claim the problem is EMI or RFI interference at my house; I'm in a typical suburban neighborhood and have neighbors with Dish and no problems. They refuse to honor their contract of service and claim I will be responsible for cancellations fees!

Any thoughts???

What you have described is either a bad RF modulator or the set is not set for the correct type of channel. So the TV is locking to the closest channel to the one that the sat receiver is set to. Go to menu 6-1-5 and see what the setting are and come back w/ that info so we can see if we can help more.

TV set too?

6--1--5 shows TV1 Out Channel 62 Mode Off RF 3, TV2 Out Channel 60 Mode Air.
Thanks.

What is the TV you are sending set up for? Is it set to OTA (NTSC) or cable. If it is cable then you need to change the output of the VIP to cable out and re-scan. It is possible that your TV doesn't work well with OTA input from the VIP. Also are you running anything else into the TV like say a cable TV signal. It could also be there is a TV signal in the area that is close to the ch 60 and causing a problem. Try switching to cable output like hyper suggests. Then you will have to scan or add the channel to the TV set. BTW the 222k is a fancier model than the 2111k. It's almost a 722k w/o the HDD inside.

Thanks, for the replies. I've tried all those settings and reprogrammed the second TV; no change.
The Dish Tech returns tomorrow with a supervisor and I'm going to ask that they replace or setup a second dish and conencting cables.

I will report back...

Then don't use coax? You can use A/V cables and you will have much better results. I have used an ethernet wire and connected each of those wires on each end to the RCA cable ends on each end.

Then don't use coax? You can use A/V cables and you will have much better results. I have used an ethernet wire and connected each of those wires on each end to the RCA cable ends on each end.

I second that!!

Any thoughts???

because there isn;t anything that can be done.
If the following troubleshoots have been done.
Choose a lower chanel number. Lower channel, lower frequency, signal travels farther.
Direct coax connect (via a temporary line) from the receiver to tv 2
swap receiver to see if the tv 2 output is malfunctioning.
Connecting receiver to another elect outlet. Same for tv 2.
Connecting receiver's tv 2 output to tv 1 to see if the pic is clear or not.
Different tv at the tv 2 location.

These are my general troubleshoots for this issue.
If these have been exhausted with no results, using progressive logic, the issue MUST be soemthing other than the satellite system/setup/cabling.
It is possible there are electrical issues or soem kind of terrestrial interference.
Possible cable tv signal "leakage". This would interfere with the tv 2 signal.

It has nothing to with the satellite install or signal strength.

What is the TV you are sending set up for? Is it set to OTA (NTSC) or cable. If it is cable then you need to change the output of the VIP to cable out and re-scan. It is possible that your TV doesn't work well with OTA input from the VIP. Also are you running anything else into the TV like say a cable TV signal. It could also be there is a TV signal in the area that is close to the ch 60 and causing a problem. Try switching to cable output like hyper suggests. Then you will have to scan or add the channel to the TV set. BTW the 222k is a fancier model than the 2111k. It's almost a 722k w/o the HDD inside.

BTW the 222k is a fancier model than the 2111k. It's almost a 722k w/o the HDD inside.
Really?
Both have the same number of outputs(Component/HDMI) Both are Dishcomm capable. Both a 9 day EPG. Both can be conected to hardives ot essentially trun them inot DVR's. Both can be connected to a customer's in house netowrk and be connected via ethernet erather than a telco system.
The only diff from the custy's standpoint is the 222k has a second tuner.

You're saying the ViP222k can use an EHD? I've read otherwise, and it's not listed by Dish either here or here. Of course, their web site might not be up to date. But if the ViP222k can use an EHD, when did that happen? Seems we have a current thread or two by people that are saying it isn't possible.

You're saying the ViP222k can use an EHD? I've read otherwise, and it's not listed by Dish either here or here. Of course, their web site might not be up to date. But if the ViP222k can use an EHD, when did that happen? Seems we have a current thread or two by people that are saying it isn't possible.

ok. I may have been mistaken but I thought I saw in our tech manual a new method by which non dvr receivers could essentially be turned into dvr's
I will have to check on that. I do not have my manual at home right now.
The point is save for the dual tuner capability there is no real diff between the 211k and 222k.

From what I've read, no first hand knowledge here, some early versions of the ViP222k used a different motherboard (or chipset?) that does not properly support an EHD, so Dish will not be supporting EHDs with that particular model.

But yes, certainly the ViP211, for example, can use an EHD, after paying the one time fee of about $40. It then behaves pretty much like a DVR, without a monthly DVR fee. But that EHD cannot be read by a ViP612, ViP622 or ViP722(k).

Dual OTA module

The 222k can use the separate 2 tuner OTA module. The 211k only has the built in single OTA module. That is what I mean by fancier. So 2 sat & 2 OTA. Don't think the 222k can use the EHD yet.

because there isn;t anything that can be done.
If the following troubleshoots have been done.
Choose a lower chanel number. Lower channel, lower frequency, signal travels farther.
Direct coax connect (via a temporary line) from the receiver to tv 2
swap receiver to see if the tv 2 output is malfunctioning.
Connecting receiver to another elect outlet. Same for tv 2.
Connecting receiver's tv 2 output to tv 1 to see if the pic is clear or not.
Different tv at the tv 2 location.

These are my general troubleshoots for this issue.
If these have been exhausted with no results, using progressive logic, the issue MUST be soemthing other than the satellite system/setup/cabling.
It is possible there are electrical issues or soem kind of terrestrial interference.
Possible cable tv signal "leakage". This would interfere with the tv 2 signal.

It has nothing to with the satellite install or signal strength.

Tried all those; no change.

Is it possible to bring the second TV close to the box and try a shorter cable?
This way you will know if the problem is with the cables.

You said you tried all those. So, what was the result of connecting TV2 output of you receiver to you TV set 1 with a short cable? Did you see the ghost picture on TV 1 or not? If you did, then you likely have a bad receiver. If you didn't, then the problem is in the wiring or in the TV set itself. It's one of the three: either the receiver or the cables between the receiver and your TV set 2, or it's the TV set itself. By doing the tests proposed above, you should be able to figure out which one of the three is causing the problem. Most likely it's the wiring, but I would suggest you check the other two suspects first.

You said you tried all those. So, what was the result of connecting TV2 output of you receiver to you TV set 1 with a short cable? Did you see the ghost picture on TV 1 or not? If you did, then you likely have a bad receiver. If you didn't, then the problem is in the wiring or in the TV set itself. It's one of the three: either the receiver or the cables between the receiver and your TV set 2, or it's the TV set itself. By doing the tests proposed above, you should be able to figure out which one of the three is causing the problem. Most likely it's the wiring, but I would suggest you check the other two suspects first.

Yes. Tried all that including replacing the receiver (see original message); same problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)