Dish Network Q4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Does your cable package come with a 2TB, 16-tuner, whole-home DVR that allows you to watch your recordings anywhere you have an internet connection for that price? The best my cable company ever offered was a 500GB, 6-tuner DVR, which wasn't really whole home, although you could watch recordings on client boxes. That DVR cost $30/month extra to rent. Once Charter bought TWC, even that offering went away. Now, it is just 2-tuner DVRs from the early naughties with terrible software.

Of course, deals like yours are the reason cable companies aren't losing more customers. The only way to get a good deal on Internet is to also subscribe to their TV service. They know what they are doing.

I have a Tivo Bolt+ and Bolt, so I have a total of 10 tuners, more than enough for my needs/wants. Lifetime on the Bolt, the Bolt+ is on a $99/year deal. Even counting that in, the cable price is great. I also have a Tivo mini which doesn’t have service fees. I pay Mediacom $1.99/cablecard to use them.

I could have used their more limited version of a Tivo box and minis, but their rental is about $20/month for a tivo and 2 minis.

They do have internet access away from home, but since I’ve never saw a need for that when I had Dish, I still don’t see the need, so I don’t know how well it compares.

The biggest downside to dealing with Mediacom is they want to do everything via phone and don’t do email follow ups. Just a bit of a PITA and has caused issues to arise at times.

The good is if I decide to tell them to punt, the ETF is only $10/month

Some cable companies are being very aggressive with their new customer bundling deals. And that could impact both sat services. D*’s sole savior IMO, is the Sunday Ticket.

Comparing just new customer deals between Dish and Direct, Dish is hands down cheaper for almost any configuration and the deal is for the whole 2-year contract, not just the first year.

My cable company made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. Basically every channel they have including the premiums bundled with their $80/month 100/10 internet for a total of $162 all in. With both Dish and Direct I would pay that much and possibly a little more just for the TV service alone.
Spectrum sends me something every week about their packages. But they're stuck in the stone age, only 2 tuner DVR's and no whole home solution. Yea there's Tivo but then I would lose out on any on-demand access, can't win.

This is supposed to be a helpful forum. He comes around here whining and bitching every day about how much he hates Dish. We get it. We've heard it million times from him. I don't particularly care for Directv but I don't come around every day, day after day, and whine and piss and moan about it. It makes me want to vomit. That is all. Thank you. :D

At first I thought you were talking about Mitch. I had to look back in the thread to see it was Claude. :biggrin

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Spectrum sends me something every week about their packages. But they're stuck in the stone age, only 2 tuner DVR's and no whole home solution. Yea there's Tivo but then I would lose out on any on-demand access, can't win.

Is their on-demand any good? Mediacom’s isn’t so losing out on that wasn’t a loss.

I have a Tivo Bolt+ and Bolt, so I have a total of 10 tuners, more than enough for my needs/wants. Lifetime on the Bolt, the Bolt+ is on a $99/year deal. Even counting that in, the cable price is great. I also have a Tivo mini which doesn’t have service fees. I pay Mediacom $1.99/cablecard to use them.

I could have used their more limited version of a Tivo box and minis, but their rental is about $20/month for a tivo and 2 minis.

They do have internet access away from home, but since I’ve never saw a need for that when I had Dish, I still don’t see the need, so I don’t know how well it compares.

The biggest downside to dealing with Mediacom is they want to do everything via phone and don’t do email follow ups. Just a bit of a PITA and has caused issues to arise at times.

The good is if I decide to tell them to punt, the ETF is only $10/month

Tivo is the only way I would do cable again. When I tried it in the past, though, it was a disaster, entirely due to TWC's incompetence.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Basically, anyone can get into the OTT TV business, so there is little profit to be made from it. Companies like Google don't even care about making a profit, and Sony might use it just to make money on its Playstation franchise. Apple or Amazon could enter the competition tomorrow, and their cost of entry is minimal. It isn't like they have to launch a satellite or build out a new fibre optic network.

Sorry but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here's another story of a tried and failed OTT attempt that just came in a few minutes ago:

CenturyLink Pulling Plug on OTT TV Beta Service | Multichannel

CenturyLink Pulling Plug on OTT TV Beta Service

Sorry but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here's another story of a tried and failed OTT attempt that just came in a few minutes ago:

CenturyLink Pulling Plug on OTT TV Beta Service | Multichannel

CenturyLink Pulling Plug on OTT TV Beta Service

That service was limited to only certain Century Link internet customers, not to the general population, anytime a company limits itself to how many customers it can sell to without any plans for expansion is doomed to failure.

And yet, Dish raises prices each year. To keep costs down I have reduced packages the last few years. I am down to the 120 package now and still feel like I am paying too much. Guess soon i will have to start looking at all these other choices seriously.

These choices like Sling sound cool,. but for a family we'll blow through our internet cap in short order. Folks that are single and by themselves will do just fine.

That service was limited to only certain Century Link internet customers, not to the general population, anytime a company limits itself to how many customers it can sell to without any plans for expansion is doomed to failure.

Anyone could sign up for Centurylink's service. The problem was its data lines are slowing than molasses and Centurylink customers couldn't receive the service very well. Live sports had such a huge delay and it just sucks.

Centurylink will probably be out of business in five years if it does not start upgrading some of its old legacy lines buried underground.

I think it was still in beta, that's probably why there were restrictions, if there were any.

Anyone could sign up for Centurylink's service. The problem was its data lines are slowing than molasses and Centurylink customers couldn't receive the service very well. Live sports had such a huge delay and it just sucks.

Centurylink will probably be out of business in five years if it does not start upgrading some of its old legacy lines buried underground.

From a cached copy of the website offering the service-Requires a qualifying CenturyLink service subscription.

I think it was still in beta, that's probably why there were restrictions, if there were any.

Also from the website-

Thank you for your interest in CenturyLink® Stream Beta.

I think they planned on going national once it went out of beta.

These choices like Sling sound cool,. but for a family we'll blow through our internet cap in short order. Folks that are single and by themselves will do just fine.
Depends on the cap and usage obviously, but our family of 3 has been full streaming for 2 years now, and we rarely go over our 1tb cap. Maybe 3 times over the last 24 months. Never been charged for it.

Others usage may definitely exceed ours.

Depends on the cap and usage obviously, but our family of 3 has been full streaming for 2 years now, and we rarely go over our 1tb cap. Maybe 3 times over the last 24 months. Never been charged for it.

Others usage may definitely exceed ours.

Data caps are still a thing? I guess I should be thankful my ISP doesn’t have one (yet).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts