Dish Network Q4

Depends on the cap and usage obviously, but our family of 3 has been full streaming for 2 years now, and we rarely go over our 1tb cap. Maybe 3 times over the last 24 months. Never been charged for it.

Others usage may definitely exceed ours.

You're killing me. The usage cap on a big HughesNet package is 50 GIGS, the base package is 10 GIGS.

You're killing me. The usage cap on a big HughesNet package is 50 GIGS, the base package is 10 GIGS.

Yep, that's why it's the provider of last resort. Like, absolute last resort! Or for backup (failover)

Even if my ISP packed up and left town, I still get 15 GB hotspot from Verizon included with my data package each month... that's free, compared to paying Hughesnet!

So for me, the only way I'd ever use Hughes is if there were no cell towers in the area, no cable internet, no DSL...a perfect storm of awfulness.

I Have Fios and Comcast. Fios doesn’t have a cap but Comcast is 1 Tb . I don’t even come close to that . I would not use the term cord cutting.Maybe cord shifting. Times are changing the younger generation after leaving Home are more interested in Netflix or some streaming option. But they need to have the cord for internet. The way we receive service is changing. But the one thing that isn’t is we all want and need Internet services for connecting . Dish is in the perfect spot now. They have satellite plus streaming and a ton of spectrum for 5g service if Charlie does this right he has a trifecta . Keep the customers he has. Add the young streaming customers and add the millions of internet customers. We could be on a verge of seeing satellite in a whole new way it all depends on how he plays the cards .

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I've got Mediacom and they have data caps depending on which speed you sign up for. My 100/10 has a 1Tb cap, the 50/5 has a 500Gb cap and I think the gigabit service has a 10Tb cap. I usually use about 600Gb per month as I watch a fair amount of streamed 4K.

Sorry but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here's another story of a tried and failed OTT attempt that just came in a few minutes ago:

CenturyLink Pulling Plug on OTT TV Beta Service | Multichannel

CenturyLink Pulling Plug on OTT TV Beta Service

The point is that OTT is not profitable like Satellite TV is. Lots of companies are losing money on it, probably including Dish. They will never tell us how much they make or lose on Flex TV for $20 a month. I would say it is impossible to make a profit on that.

If and when it becomes very profitable, the next day Apple jumps in.

You bought fiber internet from the devil what were you thinking?

I have AT&T Fiber too, although not gig as it is a waste of money just my wife and I. We live within a 1TB cap easily on our 50/50 plan for $40/month. My other choices were:

Frontier VDSL2: Best speed available 12/2, run by a bunch of jerks too
Spectrum: Up to 300/20 available, but crappy tech support; slow DNS (including Google, OpenDNS, etc. -- I think they are under constant DDoS on port 53 or something. Used to run local caching nameserver when I had this in the past); streaming problems; service goes out when it rains a lot, gets too hot, someone sneezes, etc.; and run by as-big or bigger jerks than AT&T

It was an easy decision to go with AT&T. I have AT&T wireless because Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint all have coverage problems in specific areas I frequent. I've had it for years, and I've never had any issues. So far, by Fiber internet service is the same.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Depends on the cap and usage obviously, but our family of 3 has been full streaming for 2 years now, and we rarely go over our 1tb cap. Maybe 3 times over the last 24 months. Never been charged for it.

Others usage may definitely exceed ours.

In my house we use almost 70% of our data cap each month, sometimes more. If I had 3 TVs to the mix full time, we'll blow right by. Plus the family often uses the satellite music channels on satellite. If we put that much pressure on the bandwidth, we're over. If I have to spend another $50 when I do that, then there's little savings. Don't get me wrong, I have played with some of these internet streaming choices...and they are the future. Most lack local channels, so fix that and it becomes more viable.

As full time RV'ers, we obviously don't have those high speed fiber options or even standard cable Internet available. We do however have a very basic 30 Mbps Spectrum no cap service at our upstate NY vacation cottage at $15/mo that handles streaming from the Hopper 2 there quite nicely. We also have three no cap cell hotspot plans for our motorhome, an AT&T 4G/LTE unlimited plan at $22/mo and two Verizon grey market 3G only plans at $5/mo each. In all of our travels, we've never been without a usable streaming connection, although some areas are certainly better than others for speeds.

Once you get passed the basic issue of adequate internet bandwidth…
The value of satellite vs streaming in a household is largely a function of the:
* number of TVs
* number of viewers
* diversity of viewing interest

Satellite is very good value for households with multiple TVs/Viewers and/or high diversity of viewing interest. But in a household with 1 TV & 2 adult viewers who like watching the same stuff together, the on demand aspect of streaming can make it a much better value. And it can be done with only a 2 Mbs internet connection. We do it almost every evening.

We keep our Welcome Pack for Locals which we can't get OTA. The free previews are a bonus.

Reactions: ChadT41
Anyone could sign up for Centurylink's service. The problem was its data lines are slowing than molasses and Centurylink customers couldn't receive the service very well. Live sports had such a huge delay and it just sucks.

Centurylink will probably be out of business in five years if it does not start upgrading some of its old legacy lines buried underground.
In my area their starting to expand there fiber network. Within the next couple years i should finally be able to get more than 3mb down 1/2mb up.

Once you get passed the basic issue of adequate internet bandwidth…
The value of satellite vs streaming in a household is largely a function of the:
* number of TVs
* number of viewers
* diversity of viewing interest

Satellite is very good value for households with multiple TVs/Viewers and/or high diversity of viewing interest. But in a household with 1 TV & 2 adult viewers who like watching the same stuff together, the on demand aspect of streaming can make it a much better value. And it can be done with only a 2 Mbs internet connection. We do it almost every evening.

We keep our Welcome Pack for Locals which we can't get OTA. The free previews are a bonus.

I agree, except for the number of TVs. I believe the opposite is true since you don’t pay for additional “outlets” with OTT. Satellite and cable offer less value if a household has many TVs. Those Joey/outlet fees add up.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts