Dish Network Question-sorry kinda long

jojofsu75

Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
FL
I'm sorry if this is too long or tmi I just feel I need to set it up for ya'll.

We have been Directv customers for 7 years and yesterday we were trying to figure out if we could lower our monthly bill without loosing our HD or the DVR. I went to the website to look at the package info and saw that they were discounting new customers $15 a month for the first year of service...I thought great I will call and ask for the discount and since we have been loyal customers for so long they will give it to us if we sign a new contract...they didn't.
So, I started researching Dish network and saw that they had the same deal for new customers and after the first year we would still be paying less than we do now for about the same number of channels (Choice plus w/1 dvr and one regular hd receiver vs. silver and the duo hd dvr from Dish).
I researched a little and found out about the new 922 and found out it is supposed to be coming out in Feb. so I called, just to confirm that it would be out in Feb and that I could get it free and the $15 a month discount.
I was told that it would not be out for six months and that the deal ends at the end of this month, so I went ahead and scheduled for a 722 with installation this Sunday.
Today I got to thinking and researching here more and saw that it is coming out at the beginning of Feb. so I could have waited and got it for free instead of having to pay for it in six months.
So I called back...I was told that they were sorry about the misunderstanding and that I could reschedule for the middle of Feb and get the 922 and not the 722 for no additional charge. He said this was in my notes and to call back a few days before the installation and tell them to change it from the 722 to the 922, and keep my discounted rate and the cinemax for .01 for a year....
Finally my question, How likely is this to be true do you think I will have any problems getting the 922 at no additional charge and keep my discounted rates etc?
Sorry again about the long post, but I really need to know. We live where our only options are Directv or Dish.
Thanks
Carrie

I highly doubt that you'll get a 922 for free. Heck, I had to pay 50.00 bucks extra when I signed up to go from a 622 to a 722.

Yeah, the contract I have from back in November says the 922 is $200 upgrade fee for the first one for new customers. But if they said you would get it free you might be able to hold them to that. Also they are advertising 3 free hd tuners, since you are only getting one box they might just give it to you i am guessing. If you do get the 722 the second tv is only sd.

As a DISH Network retailer I would not schedule an install based off of the 922 being available. Chances are its not going to be available to new customers for a very long time.

The 722 is a great product, and personally after having a beta 922 unit I would rather much have the 722.

As a DISH Network retailer I would not schedule an install based off of the 922 being available. Chances are its not going to be available to new customers for a very long time.

The 722 is a great product, and personally after having a beta 922 unit I would rather much have the 722.

Thanks for the replies

So do you think I should just reschedule again for this month and not worry about it. If I do will I be able to upgrade for $200 or will I have to pay a higher price?

I would just schedule for this month and get the 722. Here's what could happen if you try to wait for the 922...

A) It's not released next month and you have to wait even longer and you're kicking yourself for not jumping on the $15/month off deal.
B) It's released next month, but since ONE CSR simply TOLD you (didn't get anything in writing) about getting it free, there's no record of it, and you still have to pay for it.
C) It's released next month, the records have you as getting it for free, they send the installer out, you get installed, and the BRAND NEW 922 still has bugs in it that drive you crazy.
D) It's released next month, the records have you as getting it for free, it gets installed and you're happy with it.

IMHO, you've got a 35% of A, a 35% of B, a 20% of C and 10% chance of D. So that's a 90% you're not happy when it's all said and done.

These are my numbers and have no facts to back them up.

Thanks for the help, I don't know if you can read this but , I just go off the online chat with Dish and this basically says that the 922 will be available at the beginning of Feb and that I can get it at no charge. All I can do now is wait.

Dishtranscript.png

edit: I copied and pasted it
XXXXXXXXXX: thanks
(03) Steve K. PAG: Thank you for your time.
XXXXXXXXXX: your welcome
(03) Steve K. PAG: I am sorry for any inconvenience.
(03) Steve K. PAG: I am sorry, we don't provide anything in writhen form.
(03) Steve K. PAG: Well, you can contact us to modify the work order when 922 is available.
XXXXXXXXXX: So, basically they can tell me anything they want and it not be true.
XXXXXXXXXX: How do I know it will be available then and that I will not have to pay for it
(03) Steve K. PAG: You can check our website for that.
(03) Steve K. PAG: We'll update our website when it is available.
XXXXXXXXXX: What I'm trying to get at is that I was told by a rep today that it would be available at the beginning of Feb and that I could get it at no charge because I was misled. Are you saying you do not know when it will be available and that the note was not on my account?
(03) Steve K. PAG: There is a note on the account mentioning that.
XXXXXXXXXX: So it will be available in Feb?
(03) Steve K. PAG: Yes, it'll.
(03) Steve K. PAG: What else can I assist you with?
XXXXXXXXXX: Ok thanks, that's it, I will wait and see I guess.
(03) Steve K. PAG: I'm glad we were able to take care of that for you. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer, have a great night!
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Last edited:
Good idea using the chat feature. I'm going to be particular, it's nothing personal...

The reps line of "There is a note on the account mentioning that" doesn't say what "that" refers to. Could the note on the account simply say "customer wants a 922 when it's available"?

Notice even you tried to push him on availability and cost he simply said "check the website".

Just go into this "eyes open" and let us know how things turn out.

I think there's a good chance it won't be released in February, and if by some chance it is, it'll be so buggy you'd wish you didn't have it:)

New receiver releases are generally buggy. The problems are fixed (mostly) within a year of the receiver's release but that first year is a little painful.

Personal experience-- 4000, 7200 (Dishplayer), 721. By the time I got to the 622 most of the bugs were fixed.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts