DISH NETWORK® UNVEILS BIGGEST HIGH DEFINITION UPGRADE IN TV HISTORY

If they somehow include the bitstreaming of the HD audio codecs (True-HD and DTS-MA) I will damn sure cancel netflix, start getting VOD from dish, soil myself, and post the pics here.

I will definitely purchase a 1080p VOD and compare it to my BDs... I can't wait. I know it is not going to be as great as a BD, but if it is close, I would be so happy.

My question is how does this affect the customers like myself that currently have high def but not a DVR.

Can/will they do the software upgrade for the standalone receivers like the VIP211. And will they be offering all their high def in 1080P or just the VODs.
I think someone asked the same thing above but didn't get answered so here goes:
... is being rolled out to all MPEG-4 HD DVR receivers. The upgrade activates a unique feature of the set-top boxes, improving the current standard of HD delivery used by pay-TV providers such as the ability to output 1080p programming. By early August, all DISH Network customers with MPEG-4 HD DVR receivers will have the only set-top boxes in the nation enabled to display 1080p content
They are using the DVR's hard drives to hold/store the 1080p movie until you're ready to view it. There simply isn't the bandwidth to stream 1080p content and watch it on-the-fly.

As for the future and 150 HD Channels; the future is now and it is time for Charlie to face the facts he needs to settle up with the Dolans, Rainbow Media and Fox; and add the HD channels to really retain his NY State subs; The MSG Family of Channels, YES Network and the HD Fox Channels.
The lack of New York stuff was what made me get D* instead of E*. In retrospect I'm happy I made the decision for other reasons that weren't apparent to me at the time, but I got it for my mom since we couldn't get SNY and lost MSG with Cox, and with Dish we'd have to lose YES to get SNY, so we went with D* to get both. Lack of YES will forever be a thorn in E*'s side, even beyond just the NY market.

All right....more software upgrades to possibly give us headaches.

Let's see how long it takes for everyone to start complaining that there isn't much programming being broadcast at 1080p.

By the way, this is great new for those who have 1080p sets but I surely am not going to spend my money in the near future on a new set. How many more wrinkles do we really need to see on tv personalities.

Normally I'm skeptical of new channel promises, especially national HD, but I do have to say that Charlie has more-or-less come through so far.

So while I am right now perfectly happy with NetFlix/Blu-Ray/HDDVD for my movies I am very much interested in the new national HD channels announced. Am I correct in inferring from an earlier post that by 8/14 we may get some in addition to those already announced? IAC I really am hoping for non-premium/non-shopping nationals.

FX-HD, RFD-HD anyone?

Good thing I just dumped my component cables in favor of HDMI. It wouldn't surprise me at all if HDMI were the only connection out of the 622/722 that supports 1080p. That's the way it is on my Blu-ray player, and I fear it may be the only configuration officially sanctioned by the content providers.

Did you know that the existing DVR's could be upgraded to 1080p?

i for one posted several times that a software upgrade was enough to make this happen. i compared it to what was done to the xbox360 . a firmware upgrade updated the 360 to display 1080p and i saw the improvement immediately.

WE DID? What major differences do the 622 and 722 have , besides the 722 having a larger harddrive,and being a different color? I would say there are far more 622's out there then 722's.

He probably meant the 722s coming out next year. There has already been some discussion about that model supporting 1080p VOD.

Good thing I just dumped my component cables in favor of HDMI. It wouldn't surprise me at all if HDMI were the only connection out of the 622/722 that supports 1080p. That's the way it is on my Blu-ray player, and I fear it may be the only configuration officially sanctioned by the content providers.

I would be SHOCKED if 1080p can be output via component cables. HDMI is the only true digital connection. Everything else is analog.

150 channels will mean I might actually be able to view 100. This is great news!!!

I wonder how much the VOD movies will cost to rent....

They are using the DVR's hard drives to hold/store the 1080p movie until you're ready to view it. There simply isn't the bandwidth to stream 1080p content and watch it on-the-fly.

this is why the pic will be better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts