Dish network rec for motorhome

palmcity

Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Florida
:mad:
I purchased a motor home that had a direct tv receiver in it, I have dish service at my house, so I went to install my VIP622 in the motor home after a few cuts with the jig saw it fit in the hole, well what I did not notice was there is no coax connector from the receiver to hookup to the distribution box on the motor home, so I found this web site ( satellite guys ) read a few forms on motor home receivers, and decided on the VIP211 I found on eBay, I installed it, called dish to register it, it would not work, after about 2 hours on the phone talking with several different people, they put me to mobile tech support, they told me for a motor home they receiver has to be a 311 only and I have to have a separate account for this receiver, I told the lady I pay about $120 per month right now for service at my house I'm not going to pay $40 a month for service on this receiver only that I'm only going to use a few times a year. Have you guys heard of this before or am I getting to shaft

Thanks

Dish doesn't want you to use your reciever in the Motor Home without a seperate account. Take any dish reciever authorized in your home and just use it in your RV. Don't tell dish this. Also any Dish reciever that your have working in your home will work in the RV if the dish is pointed at the right satellites and hooked up right.

I called Dish and asked if I could add an additional receiver onto my account for the RV and they said they did allow one dual tuner receiver to be used in the RV. They recommended the 311 but I wanted a dual receiver so I ended up getting a 625. I think it all depends who you talk to at Dish. When I called I asked for someone that could answer questions about Dish Network in RV's and they transferred me to a very knowledgeable person that answered all of my questions.

The type of dish antenna you have on the RV might be the reason that the 311 is required. The 211 is a HD receiver that might not be compatible with some RV dome antennas whereas the 311 is SD and should be compatible with most.

We just changed our dome dish to the new Winegard Travel Star Dish 1000. It has 4 LNB on it to pick up 110, 119, 118, and 129 and it finds all of them with the push of a single button.

Anyways, I called dish to turn on the channel subscriptions back to the receiver and told him it was for our RV. I wanted to know if they could note that somewhere so the receiver will not lose programming when not connected to dishnetwork for a couple of days, etc. I wanted to try and avoid having to call Dish everytime we want to use it. Unfortunately, they said no and we just keep the RV plugged in and the Dish connected when we are at hime.

Sal

I get around the separate contract by taking my home 622 with me. CSR said as long as no one is at home using my account I can take 622 with me, perhaps you could add 311 to existing acount and throw it in the RV when traveling.

I'm about to face a similar motorhome problem. I'm buying an RV quipped with a stationary DirectTV dish (pops up). I'm a DISH Network home subscriber. Rather than subscribe to DirectTV just for the RV, I would prefer to change RV satellites to one that'll work with one of my DISH receivers. I have an old 311 and a 211 that I could use in the RV. Sounds like a problem similar to the starter of this thread but I will first need to change dishes.

Is it straightforward to replace the RV dish? Either a stationary one for DISH or an in-motion style dome would be OK with me. With so many RVs with dishes, there must be places that know how to accommodate those people who don't know the details of making conversions work (?) but I don't know where to start.

Thanks.

One thing to remember, if you are leasing the box from Dish, the fine print says that you cannot remove the box from the service address. I tried to address a "move" issue and told them that I was in an RV and got scolded on chat for "removing" the box from the service address.

RV and Dish Network

I am using my 510 DVR in my Monaco Coach, the 310 remains in my home in another State, the location of the receiver you have and own is your business.

Know issues:

The auto seek dome sat dish will only view one sat at a time. Recording on the 110 sat when you left the unit looking at the 119 sat will not work if you do not leave the auto seek antenna on. (Which is not recomended)

The auto seek Dome sat dish will not work well in heavy rain. (Recomend the ground based Dish 500 or better dish on a stand.

The 310 is a cheap unit that is the only unit Dish Network will ship to you for your RV. It is simple and bullet proof. However it has no bells or whistles.

The RaySat KVHA 7 full motion antenna will not work well unless you are moving, should dew or rain remain on Sat cover.

I have a select switch for each TV, so I can watch a DVD on one, Dish network on another and local programing on the third.

Does your home-run location have the Sat box in the same cabinet?