DISH Network Reports Second Quarter 2018 Financial Results

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Aug. 3, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH Network Corp. (NASDAQ: DISH) today reported revenue totaling $3.46 billion for the quarter ending June 30, 2018, compared to $3.64 billion for the corresponding period in 2017. Subscriber-related revenue for the quarter totaled $3.42 billion, compared to $3.61 billion in subscriber-related revenue for the year-ago period.

full press release here at this link
DISH Network Reports Second Quarter 2018 Financial Results | Dish

Reactions: charlesrshell
Continuing the long slide down. Used to make more profits than the year before ,even if they lost subs. Now there isn't even that to hold on to. Down to 10.653 million DISH subs and 2.344 million SlingTv subs. The total 12.997 million subs compared to 13.332 million subs at the end of 2017. Cord cutting & churn continues...

Do you think he signed those tower contracts for nothing?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Has anyone seen a lease?

Besides the cost of the spectrum was a few billion dollars. How much could Charlie be paying to reserve an empty rack at some of these sites. The lease is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the spectrum.

Knowing Charlie he is probably paying a minimum fee for the space if until he ever becomes operational.

But let’s just say for a minute he pulls this off. You need places to sell Dish wireless service.

They had blockbuster video, which they ended up closing all the stores. Blockbuster was the perfect place for Dish to offer their wireless service.

The only ones that leave are the dish retailers, and as AT&T is finding out the satellite dealers want nothing to do with cell phones.

I would put money on it that this is nothing more than another poker faced ploy by Charlie as his end game. Make billions of dollars selling the spectrum, and at the same time unload his failing satellite Tv business.

The future is wireless, but Charlie ain’t bankrupting his company and risking everything to go up against AT&T and Verizon to find out.

Charlie will take this charade to the very end.

I have even spoken to Charlie Ergen’s son back in 2013 at CES, and at the time he was talking as if Dish was buying T mobile very soon. Then it was supposed to be Sprint until SoftBank outbid him.

Why would Charlie need Sprint or T-Mobile if he could build his own network?

Very simple. Name recognition, stores, retailers and an existing customer base. Take a business model that works and make it better with more spectrum.

The next Charade will likely be at CES, with Dish showing off their cell phones with the dish logo where you normally see AT&T or Verizon. .

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Besides Dish, I am also a Cord Cutter. Cort Cutting now is around 50 Million. As more and more programming end up streaming for free or lower pricing, more will be leaving cable & satellite. The Roku has over 7700 channels and the Amazon Fire has 5500. Most of the channels are free too. I still sub to Dish, but in the future, who knows? There are many companies that now sell a package of cable channels via streaming. Used to be we had OTA, cable in the 60s & 70s, then in the mid 80s, we had the big dish people as we then had more access, then Direct and Dish showed up back in the 90s.
Now we have streaming. Sling for Dish and Direct Now. So cable & satellite will continue to lose subs. For those who have high speed internet, the sky is the limit with programming. Where Dish rarely adds a new channel. Often there are 20-30 each week on the Roku. I quit asking for new channels on Dish a long ago. I got tired of begging for new content. There was always an excuse, so now in most cases I can get the majority of the new content on Roku or other streaming apps. Much of it for free. I now own three Rokus, a Chromecast stick, Fire Stick and the Fire Box. I love streaming, and it is much like my early days for the big satellite dish (1985), where I never knew what new signal would show up. Streaming is like that, but there are much more of it.

Dish's wireless is not about consumer smartphones. 5G is not really about consumer smartphones--it represents a small use of the spectrum even for the big wireless companies. Dish's plan for its wireless is IoT. 5G for all wireless companies is about IoT. Dish's customers for its wireless services could be some consumers for 5G broadband along with institutional customers. The vast majority of users of the big wireless companies 5G will be corporate with consumers representing a minority of users.

Dish is going IoT for its spectrum, so it won't need a single brick and mortor store nor will it be selling phones. It could sell broadband internet access to consumers using 5G, but corporate clients will also find such a service attractive. The Big wireless companies are going heavily IoT for its 5G with a small portion for consumer phones. The spectrum can allow this, and the big money and growth is in IoT including driverless cars, wireless 5G broadband and a whole lot more not invoving smartphones nor individual consumers.

5G's attributes is what IoT has been waiting for such as automobiles (not just driverless capabilities, but auto makers pushing updates to its core, safety, information, and entrainment systems keeping them all up to date or even adding features, and, especially, patching security holes would be a tremendous advancement), virtual reality as it relates to self driving cars in in bad weather and fog (possibly aviation, as well) and medicine/health care, manufacturing and industry with far superior communication among machines. None of this is about smartphones. The businesses that can benifit from 5G are eager for 5G's enhancements and are willing to pay, especially Waymo, Lyft, Uber, and trucking companies because 5G makes driverless vehicles much safer. None of this requires brick and mortar stores for consumers.

So, anyone who still thinks 5G is about smartphones does not understand 5G technology nor do they understand who demands 5G's benifits and who is willing to pay a lot more than some smartphone user looking for the cheapest plan, nor do they understand the larger growth and higher profits from corporate and institutional customers 5G represents. Of course, 5G broadband could be a competitor to our current consumet broadband ISP's (cable cos.), especially delivering true broadband speeds in rural areas if the network is done right. 5G represents a big change in the world as we know it today, while smartphones won't be changing nearly as much.

Last edited:
Every three months, bluegras posts the latest quarterly numbers for DISH. Then, Mike says "I told you so". Next, various posters explain what DISH must do or is going to do to survive. Claude throws chit at the wall, then everything settles down for another three months.

Deja Vu, all over again.

Dish's wireless is not about consumer smartphones. 5G is not really about consumer smartphones--it represents a small use of the spectrum even for the big wireless companies. Dish's plan for its wireless is IoT. 5G for all wireless companies is about IoT. Dish's customers for its wireless services could be some consumers for 5G broadband along with institutional customers. The vast majority of users of the big wireless companies 5G will be corporate with consumers representing a minority of users.

Dish is going IoT for its spectrum, so it won't need a single brick and mortor store nor will it be selling phones. It could sell broadband internet access to consumers using 5G, but corporate clients will also find such a service attractive. The Big wireless companies are going heavily IoT for its 5G with a small portion for consumer phones. The spectrum can allow this, and the big money and growth is in IoT including driverless cars, wireless 5G broadband and a whole lot more not invoving smartphones nor individual consumers.

5G's attributes is what IoT has been waiting for such as automobiles (not just driverless capabilities, but auto makers pushing updates to its core, safety, information, and entrainment systems keeping them all up to date or even adding features, and, especially, patching security holes would be a tremendous advancement), virtual reality as it relates to self driving cars in in bad weather and fog (possibly aviation, as well) and medicine/health care, manufacturing and industry with far superior communication among machines. None of this is about smartphones. The businesses that can benifit from 5G are eager for 5G's enhancements and are willing to pay, especially Waymo, Lyft, Uber, and trucking companies because 5G makes driverless vehicles much safer. None of this requires brick and mortar stores for consumers.

So, anyone who still thinks 5G is about smartphones does not understand 5G technology nor do they understand who demands 5G's benifits and who is willing to pay a lot more than some smartphone user looking for the cheapest plan, nor do they understand the larger growth and higher profits from corporate and institutional customers 5G represents. Of course, 5G broadband could be a competitor to our current consumet broadband ISP's (cable cos.), especially delivering true broadband speeds in rural areas if the network is done right. 5G represents a big change in the world as we know it today, while smartphones won't be changing nearly as much.

You lost me at “Benifit” :facepalm

Every three months, bluegras posts the latest quarterly numbers for DISH. Then, Mike says "I told you so". Next, various posters explain what DISH must do or is going to do to survive. Claude throws chit at the wall, then everything settles down for another three months.

Deja Vu, all over again.

Yes, Deja Vu, all over again, but as I mentioned previously, there will come a time when Dish will be gobbled up. Probably not soon, but I would speculate when the time comes, Verizon could be the one.

Deja Vu, all over again.

Really? Every 3 months I bash their quarterly results?

If they would just pay me my 2.4 million they owe me, I would leave them alone

Reactions: Juan and MikeD-C05
It's always humorous to come and read how the armchair quarterbacks here think they know what or how Charlie is going or not going to handle his business and fail and how much better they could do it!

Charlie has a multi billion dollar company and I do not. So he did something right.

However, he was in the right place at the right time and if he doesn’t start transitioning away from video, he is going to fail

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)