DISH Network Reports Second Quarter 2018 Financial Results

Isn’t 129 an integrel part of the Western Arc configuration? How could they go without that bird?
My sister is not going to like this. This weekend, she just lost the 110 satellite due to tree blockage. (It had slowly been getting worse for a long time, but she still had a weak signal until recently. Now it is not usable at all.) I did a Check Switch on her receiver, so now she only has 119 and 129. With that setup, she actually did not lose very many channels, since there are very few channels that are only on 110. It is just that there are some channels that she now only gets in SD, and other channels that she now only gets in HD, instead of getting both feeds. If 129 goes away, at least the silver lining is that the change will take place in the winter. Hopefully without leaves on the tree, she will be able to get signal back from 110 for awhile, to buy her some time before being forced to make a change.

Overall, isn't the signal strength on 110 and 119 stronger than 129? Or is that just where I live? Here I am in the 70's and even low 80's for some transponders on 110/119, but am in the high 40's for 129.

I appreciate the quarterly reports posted here, but due to the nature of the quarterly reporters, maybe we can give Bluegrass a sticky with a locked thread? Let’s face it, none of us are rubbing shoulders with the billionaires that built from scratch, and ATT has proven that any DIRECTion is possible. I personally think Dish is going to find themselves in bed with Amazon it Apple, or both. That would light the entire world on fire.
ATT's profit last year was 3 times Dish's total revenue. If you want to compete in the 5G corporate world , you will need to have some affiliation with a bigger company like Amazon. How about doing a deal with Apple , the 1st Trillion Dollar company.

Overall, isn't the signal strength on 110 and 119 stronger than 129? Or is that just where I live? Here I am in the 70's and even low 80's for some transponders on 110/119, but am in the high 40's for 129.

Yes overall 129 is usually weaker than 110 and 119 but I believe that the big difference in the signal readings is the difference between MPEG2 QPSK and MPEG4 8PSK formats on the transponders. Most everything on 129 is 8PSK so the signals are lower than the QPSK on the other satellites.

Which has better error correction? Never mind efficiency, which might deliver the best PQ? But then, Dish can fiddle and bit starve and make a diamond look like ground glass. As can them all.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Which has better error correction? Never mind efficiency, which might deliver the best PQ? But then, Dish can fiddle and bit starve and make a diamond look like ground glass. As can them all.

Last fall I recorded the Game 7 Cubs World series win that was replayed on NBCSN Chicago. At that time there was either 8 or 10 HD channels per transponder, and the picture looked much better than it does now. Watching the Cubs/Padres game today and how soft the picture is and how much pixelation there is - much more noticeable. As I mentioned earlier, they now have 14 HD channels per transponder. Even if their compression algorithms and encoders have gotten better, the picture degrading is noticeable...

Reactions: charlesrshell
I moved from a 61” 720p LCoS RPTV to a Sony 65” UHD TV. The PQ is way better. The display panel is better, but I’m sure Sony has some PDG signal processing to improve things. Maybe the cablecos and satcos are coming to depend upon TVs to cover all ills. And folks with lesser TVs probably aren’t the most profitable customers and maybe don’t care.

Sick of me to think that.

But honestly, most DON’T care. It’s just us. The masses are fed pablum and McDonald’s and are content.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I just ran a test. Not on purpose, but it turned into what it is. I have the same model tv(year and all) as Bobby. I just downloaded Westworld on demand. Been binging it, but the artifacts have been getting under my skin. Now, before I continue, part of my issue is my Vizio settings I have no intention of changing. So Dish OD was getting me frustrated. I used the Firestick, similar, slightly better, but with a “Blacker” picture. So I said screw it. I opened up the HBO Go app on my phone and streamed it to the TV Smartcast. Holy crap it looked GREAT!!!! My phone outdid my Dish and my Firestick. That was upsetting, because now I do not have a remote for my phone, and HBoGo is not user friendly smart casting on the Apple App. So, all in all, I bought a Vizio universal remote for $11 from Amazon specific to the line of TV’s and year(it worked for more, but I made sure I was only including mine in the search). Fingers crossed for the test on a Wednesday.

Reactions: NYDutch
If Dish goes 100% 8psk MPEG4, they probably could pull it off with 110/119.

As far as AT&T helping Dish with the situation at 110/119, forget about it.

All Directv needs to do to use their 110/119 assets is to change out an LNB. An LNB that a good percentage of customers have already.

I see no reason for Directv to abandon 110/119 unless the satellite needs to be replaced and they do not want to invest in a new satellite.

Could happen with 110, but having 101 is their baby, so that will get replaced and whatever was there before goes to 119 or 110.

It would be in Dish Networks best interest to keep 129. Even if they moved everything to 110/119, 129 would be perfect for some 4K content, especially for a company like Dish who can’t deliver 4K via internet like AT&T

I’m waiting for the day with AT&T you have the option of hooking the satellite receivers to either a dish or their fiber

Reactions: dvrexpander

All Directv needs to do to use their 110/119 assets is to change out an LNB. An LNB that a good percentage of customers have already.

I see no reason for Directv to abandon 110/119 unless the satellite needs to be replaced and they do not want to invest in a new satellite.

Could happen with 110, but having 101 is their baby, so that will get replaced and whatever was there before goes to 119 or 110.

It would be in Dish Networks best interest to keep 129. Even if they moved everything to 110/119, 129 would be perfect for some 4K content, especially for a company like Dish who can’t deliver 4K via internet like AT&T

I’m waiting for the day with AT&T you have the option of hooking the satellite receivers to either a dish or their fiber

Well the issue with 129 for Dish is low elevation which makes most on the east coast suffer trying to get it...many can't. For example I know a whole several mile road where anyone on the left side going up it could not get that satellite. Always knew if I saw the road that if the address was on the left they were in for bad news. On the right side many were maybe lucky but still so low most couldn't get it either.
Same applies for trees being just remotely close to someone.
110 is the higher of the 3 and should be the target for anything new.

Yup, spectrum is something you don't give up.. They are probably just haggling over the lease $$ before renewing the lease at 129W.

Yes overall 129 is usually weaker than 110 and 119 but I believe that the big difference in the signal readings is the difference between MPEG2 QPSK and MPEG4 8PSK formats on the transponders. Most everything on 129 is 8PSK so the signals are lower than the QPSK on the other satellites.

I thought Dish did away with most all QPSK on WA and went all 8PSK. I seem to remember the really old legacy equipment had to be swapped out a couple of years ago.

Reactions: TheKrell
I thought Dish did away with most all QPSK on WA and went all 8PSK. I seem to remember the really old legacy equipment had to be swapped out a couple of years ago.

There are still a lot of 311's and other MPEG2 receivers out there on the western arc.

Reactions: charlesrshell

I think that all the spotbeams are still QPSK for the SD locals.

Reactions: pattykay
Can’t the 311 do 8PSK? I was talking about the really old ones.

Here is a link to a technical bulletin from KVH where Dish was going from QPSK to 8PSK

https://www.kvh.com/ViewAttachment.aspx?guidID={3E6F229B-3915-4D90-A9A9-342FF5B0DC2E}

Here’s a link to a thread in the forum about it, was in 2016

QPSK receivers will go dark Feb. 10

Yeah the 311 is 8psk.

So was the 111, but I think Dish forgot about that.

I think the plan was this...

Stop manufacturing MPEG2 equipment, and only manufacture 8PSK MPEG4 equipment.

Stop giving new credit worthy customers MPEG2 QPSK equipment.

Give the prepaid or bad credit customers the remaining MPEG2 QPSK equipment until the inventory was gone.

Start getting rid of all QPSK equipment, only have MPEG2 and MPEG4 versions of 8psk equipment

Stop allowing MPEG 2 equipment to be activated.

Wait for enough mpeg2 customers to disconnect.

Swap out remaining mpeg 2 receivers for mpeg4

I’m talking about all channels, not just a handful. Sounds like ATT is going all-HD 100%
No, that is a myth that won't die. They are going all MPEG4...which does NOT mean EVERY channel will be in HD. They WILL still have SD channels - either that still are NOT originated in HD &/or that AT&T does NOT have an HD carriage agreement for - that will simply be converted to MPEG4 SD. They already do this now for some SD channels (some SD locals & PI channels) that are broadcast from the Ka birds.

But the bottom line is...whether you care about HD service or not, you'll ONLY be able to use HD equipment after this transition, since there were never any MPEG4 SD-only receivers made. (unless you count that weird R22 DVR, which really was simply a rebranded HR22, as it had full HD capabilities when it was put on an HD account)

No, that is a myth that won't die. They are going all MPEG4...which does NOT mean EVERY channel will be in HD. They WILL still have SD channels - either that still are NOT originated in HD &/or that AT&T does NOT have an HD carriage agreement for - that will simply be converted to MPEG4 SD. They already do this now for some SD channels (some SD locals & PI channels) that are broadcast from the Ka birds.

But the bottom line is...whether you care about HD service or not, you'll ONLY be able to use HD equipment after this transition, since there were never any MPEG4 SD-only receivers made. (unless you count that weird R22 DVR, which really was simply a rebranded HR22, as it had full HD capabilities when it was put on an HD account)

Thank you for clarifying. The post had said "All HD," so that was what I was working from.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)