DISH Network Reports Second Quarter 2018 Financial Results

No, that is a myth that won't die. They are going all MPEG4...which does NOT mean EVERY channel will be in HD. They WILL still have SD channels - either that still are NOT originated in HD &/or that AT&T does NOT have an HD carriage agreement for - that will simply be converted to MPEG4 SD. They already do this now for some SD channels (some SD locals & PI channels) that are broadcast from the Ka birds.

But the bottom line is...whether you care about HD service or not, you'll ONLY be able to use HD equipment after this transition, since there were never any MPEG4 SD-only receivers made. (unless you count that weird R22 DVR, which really was simply a rebranded HR22, as it had full HD capabilities when it was put on an HD account)
I guess the real question is: will those customers who are still being charged a $10 per month HD fee (perhaps with a mix of HD and SD receivers on their account now) finally have that fee removed from their bills after this transition, since there would be no option to switch to all SD equipment to avoid that fee?

I guess the real question is: will those customers who are still being charged a $10 per month HD fee (perhaps with a mix of HD and SD receivers on their account now) finally have that fee removed from their bills after this transition, since there would be no option to switch to all SD equipment to avoid that fee?
FEES removed ? This is DISH we are talking about right? :smug

No, that is a myth that won't die. They are going all MPEG4...which does NOT mean EVERY channel will be in HD. They WILL still have SD channels - either that still are NOT originated in HD &/or that AT&T does NOT have an HD carriage agreement for - that will simply be converted to MPEG4 SD. They already do this now for some SD channels (some SD locals & PI channels) that are broadcast from the Ka birds.

But the bottom line is...whether you care about HD service or not, you'll ONLY be able to use HD equipment after this transition, since there were never any MPEG4 SD-only receivers made. (unless you count that weird R22 DVR, which really was simply a rebranded HR22, as it had full HD capabilities when it was put on an HD account)

Sounds just like Eastern Arc. All MPEG-4. I don’t know if it is the MPEG-4 compression or what, but the SD channels on Eastern Arc, look ‘slightly’ better than MPEG-2 on Western Arc. It’s not a huge improvement, but a little.

I wonder if Dish is working toward an all MPEG-4 Western Arc? Seems like 6 months is not a lot of time to get it implemented.

Maybe they can lease Ceil 2 month to month for a while and will work to a full MPEG-4 transition for WA.

I think they could do it with two birds. I think there are now a few empty transponders on Echostar 16 and Nimiq 5.

Maybe Dish will leapfrog WA to all HEVC capable receivers. Can’t be that expensive, given they’ve all but abandoned VIP’s future, other than 211s.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Thank you for clarifying. The post had said "All HD," so that was what I was working from.

My bad. I should have said DirecTV is doing away with all SD equipment and going HD equipment only starting next year. Sorry I didn't specify 'equipment'. :)

Reactions: Juan
I agree that Ciel and dish are still in negotiations. However I also believe IMHO that dish is in Hush Hush negotiations with AT&T to buy DirecTV's licenses for transponders at 110 and 119 and this is the real reason for the delay in leasing 129 for a second installment and so close to the clock running out.

AT&T would have no problem, and in fact, would love to sell dish their transponders at 110 and 119 because from AT&T's view it would be like selling dish "magic beans." AT&T has made it clear from day one with continued public statements that they are getting out of the satellite business they want nothing to do with satellite they are going all-in for their streaming service DirecTVNow. AT&T has absolutely no use for the transponders at 110 and 119. First the only buyer for those transponders will be the only other satellite DBS service: dish. and if dish wants to spend money on what AT&T considers to be obsolete and very costly technology, then yeah they're fine with dish buying those transponders. most importantly to AT&T, they would at least be able to get some money for transponders they have absolutely no value to DirecTV nor use for them, but have tremendous value to Dish, even if it does provide more bandwidth for dish or allows them to save some money by not having to get a second lease for 129 because it doesn't matter to AT&T because they're going to go all streaming they want nothing to do with satellite.

"Hey Charlie you invest more and more money in your satellites and pay us money for what are useless transponders for us and hold no value to anyone but you dish, and that's fine with us," says AT&T, "because those transponders from our view give you absolutely no Advantage at all because you're still dealing with satellite while we're dumping that Tech and now making money selling that Tech to you while we are going all-in for streaming and have plenty of bandwidth with our own DTV Satellites with the all mpeg 4 transition. Yes we will sell to you dish for a fair price and we certainly rather get your money for our useless transponders then have Ciel get your money for their sat lease." From AT&T's perspective, dish are suckers if they spend their dish money on AT&T useless transponders.

IMHO, it's all up to Charlie. Either it's a good price to acquiring AT&T's licenses at 110 and 119 and no longer be dependent on leased sat at 129 (my theory is when 118 goes EOL, Dish will just offer all Internationals at Sling International streaming service). If it's not a good price he'll just re-up with Ciel who at the current moment have no other customer that will be paying them as much as dish for the entire capacity of Ciel 2 all the way to end of life, or perhaps dish leasing Ciel 2 for only a short period until transfer of licenses is approved.

Bottom line, IMHO, I think Dish is in current hush-hush negotiations with AT&T for its licenses at 110 and 119 and has waited this long so close to the clock running out before leasing for a second installment with Ceil at 129.

I just posted this (with no details like yours) in another thread yesterday I think. It was in regards to rising internet cost and I was saying DISH should get off it's buns and do something with what it has to become a competitor. Many lf us have seen wireless internet service as the next big thing.
And all of this has been stated by Charlie Ergen himself. He laid out his plan quite clearly. None of this stuff is conjecture. Charlie has been stating this pretty much for well over a year and in his most recent public statements he really provided detail and that's all we're repeating, what Charlie Ergen himself has said. no armchair theories at all.

I really can't see Charlie going through another change out of boxes to get everyone on the same high efficiency codec that's available today because Ergen himself has stated that such change outs are "costly and painful!"

Considering dish is no longer growing but instead losing subscribers, spending the huge amount of money and heartbreaking real world problems of changing out boxes is the last thing one could imagine the cost-conscious penny-pinching Ergen doing at this stage of the DBS business because it would make no economic sense when the future is clearly at Sling TV and he'd rather spend his money there and just get by with Band-Aids with Dish. However, spending some money, not too much, for DTVs licenses for transponders at 110 and 119 might make more sense and is something that can be done instantly if the transfer of the licenses are approved. But changing out boxes now would be a nightmare economically and logistically with the dish DBS business losing customers and declining profits.

I really can't see Charlie going through another change out of boxes to get everyone on the same high efficiency codec that's available today because Ergen himself has stated that such change outs are "costly and painful!"

Considering dish is no longer growing but instead losing subscribers, spending the huge amount of money and heartbreaking real world problems of changing out boxes is the last thing one could imagine the cost-conscious penny-pinching Ergen doing at this stage of the DBS business because it would make no economic sense when the future is clearly at Sling TV and he'd rather spend his money there and just get by with Band-Aids with Dish. However, spending some money, not too much, for DTVs licenses for transponders at 110 and 119 might make more sense and is something that can be done instantly if the transfer of the licenses are approved. But changing out boxes now would be a nightmare economically and logistically with the dish DBS business losing customers and declining profits.
How many subs still have SD boxes?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Every three months, bluegras posts the latest quarterly numbers for DISH. Then, Mike says "I told you so". Next, various posters explain what DISH must do or is going to do to survive. Claude throws chit at the wall, then everything settles down for another three months.

Deja Vu, all over again.

Let’s see. The H3 and “4K” Joey can do HEVC, right? Might we assume the Hopper Duo can, also?

Might Dish offer a “4K” add on pack one day, where you pay a fee (I said that with a straight face) for a few UHD channels? Maybe movies, and a few sports like Curling, along with some HD channels using HEVC for higher PQ?

Not this year nor next, but it could be a start to slowly adding more HEVC and better use of the bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I doubt Sling TV shows that more growth and would be a waste of money to really invest in it, for example-

DIRECTV NOW according to the report added 342,000 subscribers during the 2nd quarter of 2018. During that same time, Sling TV added just 41,000 subscribers. Well, Sling TV still holds a substantial lead with over 2.3 million, but DIRECTV NOW is closing fast.

If these numbers continue DIRECTV NOW will surpass Sling TV in 2018 to become the largest live TV streaming services in the United States.

DIRECTV NOW On Track to Be The Largest Live TV Streaming Service in The United States - Cord Cutters News

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I agree that Ciel and dish are still in negotiations. However I also believe IMHO that dish is in Hush Hush negotiations with AT&T to buy DirecTV's licenses for transponders at 110 and 119 and this is the real reason for the delay in leasing 129 for a second installment and so close to the clock running out.

How many transponders are we talking about here? One or two....a dozen or more?

Somewhere up in this thread somebody mentioned Dish is stuffing 14 HD channels on each 129 transponder and I don't doubt it, as I'm now convinced all that judder I see on numerous channels is not frame rate error but in fact compression error. If Chuck can get enough room at 110/119 and (or) keep space at 129, that might give him enough breathing room for a few years, at least on the WA.

AT&T has made it clear from day one with continued public statements that they are getting out of the satellite business they want nothing to do with satellite they are going all-in for their streaming service DirecTVNow. h

I think that ATT is working toward an all IP future as well. However, I think DirecTV Now is just one out of three. I think they’ll have ATT Stream (I think it is called) for a skinny, skinny bundle, DirecTV Now for a skinny bundle, that will run on multiple devices, and their yet unnamed ‘home centric’ service that is like a full blown DirecTV/UVerse that runs on ATT branded clients, and is for those that want a full cable/satellite experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)