DISH Network Reports Third Quarter 2015 Financial Results

That makes no sense. If you weren't paying your bill, you wouldn't be a customer.

That has to be the dumbest thing Charlie could have ever said or used as an excuse.

So he would rather have 13.8 million customers paying their bill on time, rather than 20 million, that may or may not pay on the due date?
You are still getting paid, and with late fees on top of it.

Not Buying that for a second.

That's just something people say with a declining subscriber count, rather than acually taking responsibility for it, (the way he should ) and fix the issues.

I think many of us come up with good solutions and many problem areas. Maybe he should listen.

Instead of blowing smoke ,Maybe we could start a thread topic, about what flaws Dish has that they should work on to attract new customers
There is answers.

There always is.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeD-C05
Whether they are all paying their bills is another question.
I don't think you can count outstanding receivables as revenue so my assumption is that they're getting their money. DIRECTV did this a while back (about the time that they started showing negative subscriber growth) and it was a conscious effort to cull their subscriber base.

If a customer is consistently late each month, goes through multiple non pay discos, etc, that is money out of Dish pockets, as they have to cover the programming costs that month already. He wants to get rid of them, and then the ones that demand credits every month, especially in large values. It seems to be working as their subscribers have gone down, but their net profit is going up...

If a customer is consistently late each month, goes through multiple non pay discos, etc, that is money out of Dish pockets, as they have to cover the programming costs that month already. He wants to get rid of them, and then the ones that demand credits every month, especially in large values. It seems to be working as their subscribers have gone down, but their net profit is going up...
If a million people are charged $5 late fee , that's $5 million dollars.
Don't tell me it's costing dish money.

Just because a $5 late fee is charged, doesn't mean it will get "paid." 13 million paying customers with good credit, or autopay are worth much more than 20 million that don't pay or are frequently late.

How many of their people are getting them waived, or just defaulting in general and disappearing.
Okay like usual you turn this into something else.
If a customer as you say disappeared, they are no longer a customer.

You make it sound like Dish has millions of customer that disappear, and if they're getting their late fee waived, then apparently it's not that big of a deal for a customer to be late.

Again don't make yourself sound so gullible.

But talking about a customer that's 45 days late, still has to pay his bill and a late fee.
Big deal. It's way better then no customer.

I have regular customer myself that I consistently know, I'm going to have to wait 30, 60 sometimes even 90 days to get paid.

That mean I should drop them?
No because you run your business to make money and run accordingly.
If Charlie really said or Claimed he was wanting to do such, Day 31 your service would be discontinued.
End of story.

Speaking of turning into something else.

The comment he made was about keeping the profitable customers and dumping the less profitable customers. Simple as that.

Reactions: Tampa8 and Troch77
Speaking of turning into something else.

The comment he made was about keeping the profitable customers and dumping the less profitable customers. Simple as that.
That would make more sence.

But a customer that spend $86 for service and pays every 30 days on time, is not better then a Customer that spends $160 but is late a few times a year.
Which would also explain why his ARPU is going up.

And it's really simple why, Because I can make more money off the Guy who's late because I can charge him a late fee on top of the fact he spends quite a bit of money.

I'm more then likly to give a break to my customer that I have a $10,000 check coming then the Guy giving me $1000.

I don't know, the cable companies are adding net video subscribers, even if it's slow. Charter has drastically turned around their operations, and if I still lived in a Charter area I'd have it instead of Dish. Plus, as people are downsizing their video subscriptions, they're going to cable by default (get "free" video bundled with your internet connection for the upside of getting TV Everywhere logins)

Er...not so much:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cable-TV-Lost-357000-Subscribers-Last-Quarter-135605

What Charlie said does make sense. It isn't as simple as if a customer does not pay they no longer are a customer. That's the simple thinking answer. The real guts of it and thinking about it is how long do you wait for people to pay, send notices, turn off then have to turn on accounts etc... Are they already only spending minimum? Many things come into play.
Well, in good times you can afford to carry those customers, in bad times you don't give them incentives to stay and turn off their account faster. So when I call to ask for something, a discount or free upgrade I may get it, someone who is constantly late, has had their service turned off then on etc won't because Dish wants them to go somewhere else.

Just because a $5 late fee is charged, doesn't mean it will get "paid." 13 million paying customers with good credit, or autopay are worth much more than 20 million that don't pay or are frequently late.
Exactly.

chasing bad debt is an expensive proposition. Most smart business owners will tell you that... it flat out requires a lot of resources...
Bad debt and being late on a bill are completely different worlds.

Bad debt is a customer that says F U after his account is disconnected from non payment, and then doesn't send anything back and never pays what he's owed.
That's bad Debt and a Bad customer.

Bad debt and being late on a bill are completely different worlds.

Bad debt is a customer that says F U after his account is disconnected from non payment, and then doesn't send anything back and never pays what he's owed.
That's bad Debt and a Bad customer.
I must respectfully disagree with your stance, as Dish started out catering to the lower class, and now they are only wanting to keep good customers that pay on time regularly and subscribe to a fairly decent package, and they have been doing this for a couple years now. In the couple of years since doing this, their customer base is going down, but each set of financials coming out, shows them more profitable then before. So, by getting rid of those customers that cost the company money, their net is significantly greater.

Wonder if the welcome pack is on its way out? Hope not as I think its a good alternative for folks

Wonder if the welcome pack is on its way out? Hope not as I think its a good alternative for folks
I can't imagine. It's the best alternative to other providers, gives customers the chance to stick around and remain loyal, and then bump up when they are in a better financial position. One of those gives that creates brand loyalty.

If you asked that with the talk of Dish keeping paying customers, I would say they would keep it for sure. I don't see it as DISH only wanting those with larger packages, just those who pay reliably. The welcome package creates a way to keep customers who presumably can pay that much smaller amount, and hope they then either get an add package or eventually move to a larger package. It is indeed a good alternative especially for those who can't have or don't want an antenna and to get a few additional channels.

Reactions: KAB and ChadT41
I can't figure out where an article at DSLReports.com gets that Dish lost 178,000 subscribers in the 3rd quarter. According to the 10Q it was 23,000 net.

I can't figure out where an article at DSLReports.com gets that Dish lost 178,000 subscribers in the 3rd quarter. According to the 10Q it was 23,000 net.
If the signed up 155,000 "new" customers and lost 178,000 existing customers, they netted -23,000.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts