Hopper phone connection

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
When I built the house there were the usual million issues I had to deal with. Accordingly, I neglected to run a phone line to where my Dish receiver was to be located. I managed to get phone connectivity with the usual wireless phone jack (the type that uses the house wiring) sold under numerous brand names. However, the receiver I was then using was the 622.
When I upgraded to the HWS I discovered for some reason the HWS was more sensitive to the small amount of static in the wireless extension and wouldn't recognize a dial tone. I once had a wireless jack that didn't use the house electrical system called the Dualjack. It transmitted the signal via 2.4ghz and would have worked for my needs had it not broken. The problem is that it's no longer available anywhere, except Europe.
Short of running an actual phone wire through the walls, does anyone have a solution? Wireless bridges, range extenders, etc. Anything?

Ethernet. Even if you had to hook up wireless. Don't need phone then.

On a related topic, does anyone know what the ringer equivalence number (REN) for a Hopper is? I'm having trouble with my Ooma system - the house phones only ring once (the wireless Ooma HD2 keeps ringing). I have 3.9 RENs hooked up plus two Hoppers.

It may be happening because too many units are trying to ring at the same time. I can't answer about the REN settings.

I have one of those rca paired phone jack sets. Is that what didn't work for you? PM me if interested.
I assume that's one of those devices that use the house electrical system for the remote phone jack. I have an equivalent called the GE insta-jack that doesn't work with the Hopper (it did work for the 622). There are numerous brands that all work the same way. I always assumed they're some Chinese made devices that were manufactured under various brand names. However, lately I've began wondering if one might work for me where another won't. I'd hate to have to try them one at a time to find one that might work because possibly none of them will work.

I have one of those rca paired phone jack sets. Is that what didn't work for you? PM me if interested.
I assume that's one of those devices that use the house electrical system for the remote phone jack. I have an equivalent called the GE insta-jack that doesn't work with the Hopper (it did work for the 622). There are numerous brands that all work the same way. I always assumed they're some Chinese made devices that were manufactured under various brand names. However, lately I've began wondering if one might work for me where another won't. I'd hate to have to try them one at a time to find one that might work because possibly none of them will work.

You ever try a dish branded one?

There are two devices. One is similar to a SlingLink that puts the phone in the power lines. VIP receivers can withdrawal it without a second device. The hopper cannot. So there is a second device, and I cannot remember the name, but it was used with SD receivers that didn't have the tech built. They should work with the Hopper.

I found something on Dish Network's site: https://www.mydish.com/support/powerline-phone-connector

Is this the Dishcomm device? I don't see an option to purchase.
This is one of the two devices, and yes it is a DishComm, but it is not the correct peice. I wonder if it will work two way, the same as a SlingLink does, with one at each outlet, but as it stands, I was talking about the other device. It has been a few years and I cannot find anything on it. I did find an old SG thread about it though.

This is one of the two devices, and yes it is a DishComm, but it is not the correct peice. I wonder if it will work two way, the same as a SlingLink does, with one at each outlet, but as it stands, I was talking about the other device. It has been a few years and I cannot find anything on it. I did find an old SG thread about it though.
Is this the one you are referring to: https://www.mydish.com/support/internet-devices-powerline-connector

It does not appear it is compatible with the Hopper (at least from what I gathered from reading the short blurb). I have the same problem as ekilgus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)