DISH Network Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
NGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH Network Corp. (NASDAQ: DISH) today reported revenue totaling $3.75 billion for the quarter ending September 30, 2016, compared to $3.73 billion for the corresponding period in 2015. Subscriber-related revenue increased to $3.73 billion from $3.70 billion in the year-ago period.

Net income attributable to DISH Network totaled $307 million for the third quarter 2016, compared with $196 million from the year-ago quarter. Diluted earnings per share were $0.64 for the third quarter, compared with $0.42 during the same period in 2015.

DISH includes all of its Sling TV subscribers in the company's total Pay-TV metrics, including in the Pay-TV subscriber, Pay-TV ARPU and Pay-TV churn rate numbers set forth below. Sling TV subscribers are reported net of disconnects in our gross new Pay-TV subscriber activations.

http://investor.echostar.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=998443

Lost 116,000 subs this year, compared to 23,000 last year, 3rd quarter. Last year at this time DISH had 14 million subs and this year 13,643. These numbers include Sling Tv , but not broken down for just Sling subs. DISH continues to shed subs.

Lost 116,000 subs this year, compared to 23,000 last year, 3rd quarter. Last year at this time DISH had 14 million subs and this year 13,643. These numbers include Sling Tv , but not broken down for just Sling subs. DISH continues to shed subs.
You're not surprised at that are you? They made more profit off of fewer subs which is good for the company. The losses of subs is a sign of the sat/cable times IMO.

Reactions: KAB
Sling tv hasn't turned out to be the savings grace for DISH that they thought it would. They used to use them to pad their numbers so the huge losses the satellite service was having were covered up a bit. Now there is no hiding that both services are losing subs. DISH has been stuck around 13 million to 14 million for years now.

I wish they would post the sling numbers separate. I would really like to know how bad they are actually bleeding subscribers.
It doesn't really matter if they "bleed" over to SlingTV as they are both Dish corporate services and continue to increase profits quarter after quarter after quarter. The bad news would be increasing subscriber numbers and posting lower profits. It's clear, the customers Dish keeps are customers who spend money on their services.

Reactions: navychop
It doesn't really matter if they "bleed" over to SlingTV as they are both Dish corporate services and continue to increase profits quarter after quarter after quarter. The bad news would be increasing subscriber numbers and posting lower profits. It's clear, the customers Dish keeps are customers who spend money on their services.

Sling Tv is not a real Tv service.

Sling Tv does have its Purpose with a small number of cord cutters who like to supplement their streaming services.

The typical multiple tv family does not go out and decide they are going to switch from Comcast to sling Tv.

It wouldn't surprise me that if Dish launched sling Tv for the sole purpose of using it to combine their subscriber numbers to make their final subscriber count look better on Wall Street.

Just as bad as when they took all the dealer showroom accounts and started charging us $5 per month so they could count my "free" demo account as a dish subscriber.

Let's face it, ever since Dish lost their agreement with ATT and started terminating large dealers like myself they have been loosing subscribers almost every single quarter since.

Someone explain to me how they loose half a million subscribers and their revenue goes up? Brilliant move on the part of Dish To pull it off, but it's the customers who are getting screwed with higher rates

Reactions: AZ.
Sure they're enjoying higher profits, but greater profits with fewer customers is not a sustainable long-term model. Sooner or later the bubble will burst.

Sure they're enjoying higher profits, but greater profits with fewer customers is not a sustainable long-term model. Sooner or later the bubble will burst.
The bubble won't burst. Shrink a bit, perhaps.

I wish they would post the sling numbers separate. I would really like to know how bad they are actually bleeding subscribers.

The are trying to hide the bad news about the loss of satellite customers. This is really going to get bad DirecTV Now debuts. It sounds like it will be a superior product to SlingTV.

they are taking the money from satellite "cow" and putting it in the spectrum business. Now, we wait to see if they pull it off by finding partners to use/market it or get stuck with a bunch of spectrum debt with no customers. Not going well so far.

Reactions: Mochuf and TheKrell
The are trying to hide the bad news about the loss of satellite customers. This is really going to get bad DirecTV Now debuts. It sounds like it will be a superior product to SlingTV.

The new Directv service and the one that is on PlayStation will seriously cut into sling Tv's Numbers.

There is no loyalty here, switching couldn't be easier.

If any one of these streaming providers are running free trials, Sling is in big trouble for the next few months as people figure out which one they like better.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I love how Viacom was Unimportant when Dish was looking at a Dispute.
Now that someone else is losing them, now all of a sudden Viacom becomes an asset.

Who cares right, Viacom sucks anyway.
Thats what I was told numerous times.

Viacom does suck, and to an established service it is meaningless. For a start up service, it is hard to sell the idea of the benefits if you're missing a major link. This was an issue with some other channels between Dish and SlingTV. It's all about relevancy.

the satellite uplink, satellites themselves and all the other infrastruture fixed costs are the same if you have a single customer or millions.........

those fixed costs will eventually kill dish if it contuines shrinking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)