Dish Network Response to Guide Data

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I sent the following e-mail to DISH technical support:

On January 31st, you uplinked guide information for many markets. I was very pleased because I received guide information for both Dayton Ohio and Columbus Ohio OTA subchannels on both my 921 and 622 receivers. On February 2nd you removed the guide information that you had uplinked on January 31. Of course, I lost the guide information for all of my subchannels. Why did you remove the uplinked guide data? Was the guide info causing problems with other receivers?
I subscribe to my locals strictly so that I can get the guide information. Having the guide info for 6-2 "My-TV" and all of the PBS subchannels for channels 16-03, 16-04, 16-05, 16-06, and 34-01, 34-03 was very useful. It would also be useful to get guide info for channel 43 WKOI which is a religious station from Dayton. I hope that you will be able to return this information to your uplink.
I thank you in advance for your response.

David Weber

I received the following reply from DISH technical support:

Dear Mr. Weber,

Thank you for your e-mail. Our receivers are not meant to receive program guide information for off-air channels, sometimes they will sync with the local channels that we provide, but we do not guarantee the reception of this information. We do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused.

We hope we have properly addressed your concerns. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/index.shtml

A Technical Service Representative is available via live chat 1:30 PM-10:00 PM (MDT) 7 days per week regarding your concerns. Please click the following link to use this option.

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departm...al/content/tech/techchatadvcustformrf23.shtml

Thanks,

Rebekah S.

DISH Network Technical eCare

The response seems to indicate a total lack of knowledge regarding how the receivers use the guide data. Has anyone else heard anything regarding why DISH removed the Guide info from their uplink?

Thank you for your responses.

It must make two of us, cause I'm having a hard time understanding your question.

Channels 16-03, 16-04, 16-05, 16-06, and 34-01, 34-03 are off-air locals which like she said they don't get guide info for off air channels. Which I haven't seen, it normally just shows up as Digital Service

For many areas guide data was available for Digital OTA Subchannels, then on Thursday Dish Network stopped providing this service to those areas.

No reason was given, and in fact they are trying to play dumb about the entire thing like it has never happened at all.

For many areas guide data was available for Digital OTA Subchannels, then on Thursday Dish Network stopped providing this service to those areas.

No reason was given, and in fact they are trying to play dumb about the entire thing like it has never happened at all.

I don't think they were playing dumb. I doubt they know the difference.

I would email them again, this time mention that you did have guide data from there uplink channels in the 14,000 range. These are channels with no video, only guide data that are mapped down to the digital sub channels.

If we all Email, then maybe they will realize they cant cover up mistakes and then put them back.

They were one day and then they were pulled based on published uplink reports on the web.
Also ask to route your question the HD tech support team, they know more about it.

Sometimes they just use generic cut and paste asnwers for there email system, the CSR answering does not actually type the answer, they just pick from a pull down menu.

I emailed them. I lost guide data to 3 subchannels. One subchannel though, CW, has had guide data for quite a while and it still does. The other 3 though, MYTV and PBS2 and 3, were uplinked and then removed.

Maybe they want to make the 811s and 6000's not have the ability to get sub guide information so they have to upgrade to a 211 or 622 dvr to get it. This would be an insentive to upgrade to a new hd receiver and to get sub guide data. Also an incentive to pay for locals too. I just got mine last month for the Beaumont/Pt. Arthur,Tx area and it is so nice to be able to see what is on and not have to use manual timers.

Hopefully this doesn't jinx me...

I just checked and all my OTA subs have their data listed in the EP including all 4 of the PBS channel's subs.

Im not braging. Just giving info...

This is the current information in my program guide:

2.1 WMAR Primetime
2.2 WMAR Primetime
2.3 WMAR WMAR Digital Weathernet
4.1 WRC Law & Order
4.2 WRC NBC Weather Plus
5.1 WTTG House
7.1 WJLA Primetime
7.2 WJLA Weather Radar
7.3 WJLA DIGITAL SERVICE (this channel has never had info)
8.1 WGAL Law & Order
8.2 WGAL DIGITAL SERVICE (this channel had guide info)
9.1 WUSA The Unit
9.2 WUSA Weather Radar
11.1 WBAL Law & Order
11.2 WBAL WBAL 11 Insta-weather
13.1 WJZ The Unit
15.1 WLYH Veronica Mars
20.1 WDCA Watch Over Me
22.1 MPT Nova
22.2 MPT Nova
22.3 MPT Off Air
22.4 MPT Off Air
22.5 MPT Off Air
43.1 MPMT House
43.2 MPMT DIGITAL SERVICE (used to say, The Tube Music Network)
45.1 WBFF House
45.2 WBFF Mission Impossible
49.1 WGCB DIGITAL SERVICE (this channel did have info)
50.1 WDCW Veronica Mars
50.2 WDCW DIGITAL SERVICE (used to say, The Tube Music Network)
54.1 WNUV Veronica Mars

So, all of the Baltimore sub-channels still have information.
Most of the DC sub-channels still have info.
None of the Lancaster PA sub-channels have info.

For a few days last week, I had guide info for all of these channels,
except for 7.3 WJLA.

BTW, all channels that I have listed, I receive OTA.
I do not subscribe to any of them.

But, I do subscribe to Philly locals.

PBS is the only TV station in Austin that actually has sub-channels. I was getting guide info on my 622 until today. Now just 'Digital Service'. Dish doesnt provide HD Locals in Austin, so it was cool to at least get the guide info for PBS HD....even at $5 month for guide info, cause Dish's non-HDs are unwatchable...now its going to be a PITA to DVR the OTA PBS HD channel w/o the guide info. I'm def going to email them, too.

Does anybody know in the DMAs where Dish does provide HD Locals, if they also provide sub-channels? if yes, i'd assume also the guide info for the sub-channels...?

Last edited:
As I type this, I am on hold with a Dish CSR.
He read me a statement that says they are working on resolving the sub-channel info for all cities.
The statement said there was a problem, and it will be restored as soon as possible.

I'm on hold cause I'm trying to haggle for a cheaper price. I've threatened to switch to cable...

I got the 5.99 warranty fee waived for 6 months (I had the 1.99 warranty)
Also, got $10 off per month for the next 10 months.

Last edited:
This was the response I got from Dish Tech Support. You think this is canned?
E* said:
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail. DISH Network does not currently provide this information. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We hope we have properly addressed your concerns. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/index.shtml

A Technical Service Representative is available via live chat 1:30 PM-10:00 PM (MDT) 7 days per week regarding your concerns. Please click the following link to use this option.

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departm...al/content/tech/techchatadvcustformrf23.shtml

Thanks,

Chris R.

DISH Network Technical eCare

I also emailed ceo@echostar.com so we'll see if I get a better response from them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)