DISH Network Statement on Canadian Approval of TerreStar License Transfer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Network Statement on Canadian Approval of TerreStar License Transfer

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 02/07/12 -- DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) issued the following statement today regarding Canadian approval of the TerreStar license transfer request:

"DISH is pleased to announce that Industry Canada has approved the transfer of the Canadian spectrum licenses held by TerreStar to DISH. In granting its approval, Industry Canada reached the conclusion that the transfer would be in the public interest in light of 'the capacity that would be available in Canada,' among other reasons.

U.S. bankruptcy courts approved DISH's acquisition of the spectrum licenses held by TerreStar and DBSD in the middle of 2011.

DISH is prepared to immediately close both transactions upon receiving Federal Communications Commission approval of the transactions and associated waiver requests, which will enable DISH to move forward with its planned wireless initiatives.

DISH believes that immediate Commission approval will be a win for consumers, competition, infrastructure investment, and American jobs."

if they own the sat then they should be able to provide customers who want canadain tv with it, as a ala cart, or something. If the cable companies can provide they customers with the channels then why cant the satellite companies? I know its all has to deal with money and politics, but im sick of hearing that as an excress with everthing these days. If a customer wants something then give to them what the want. What ever happened to the customer is alwose right?

if they own the sat then they should be able to provide customers who want canadain tv with it, as a ala cart, or something.
owning the sat means its theirs and they dont have to pay someone else. That still doesnt give them the right to go around FCC rules

If the cable companies can provide they customers with the channels then why cant the satellite companies?

different rules. If you are referring to Canadian programming there are rules. Cable companies who carry CBC are right on the border and normally are picking it up OTA. The issue is CBC is now showing more US programming that is already on stations here in the states. CTV & Global are just "simsub central" by buying network programming and putting it on there

If there was to be a CBC station on satellite it would have to be watered down. Right now CBC Windsor is like that due to being next door to Detroit. They have to reshuffle the schedule when there is a program that a US station already has claim to.

How about CTV News Channel or CBC News Network ala carte? What's wrong with having them available down here? We get zillions of middle east channels...why not a couple of news channels from Canada?

I read something a while back and I think from the way I understood it, the Canadian government does not want U.S. influences in their country with certain programming and so forth. Something to do with their culture. I do not think it is vice versa here in the U.S. though.

I read something a while back and I think from the way I understood it, the Canadian government does not want U.S. influences in their country with certain programming and so forth. Something to do with their culture. I do not think it is vice versa here in the U.S. though.

That don't make sense. Us who live in border towns and cities have had Canadian Channels for years OTA and on our cable systems and vice versa for their systems. I have Canadian relatives whom receive the big 4 U.S. networks three fold, east coast feeds (buffalo/rochester), midwest (detroit) and west coast (seattle). Plus they get the CNNs, MSNBCs and Fox channels, plus all kinds of other u.s. channels. The U.S. influence is there. Its more likely the U.S. DBS companies worried their signals are pirated into canadian homes without ad revenue or sub fees.

if they own the sat then they should be able to provide customers who want canadain tv with it, as a ala cart, or something. If the cable companies can provide they customers with the channels then why cant the satellite companies? I know its all has to deal with money and politics, but im sick of hearing that as an excress with everthing these days. If a customer wants something then give to them what the want. What ever happened to the customer is alwose right?

The saying "the customer is always right" is one of the worst sayings in business. In fact, the customer generally is wrong and won't admit it, and is looking for a business to bail them out from their stupidty.

Walt Disney's famous quote: "No, the customer is not always right. But let him know he is wrong with dignity."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts