Dish Network tells me today my 6000 will receive the new Feb. 1st channels.

Jeffdbs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
Called today because my 6000 is going dead again. Dish Network HDTV tech help tells me my replacement 6000 will receive the new channels on Feb 1st. I asked Dish tech why this information is different than what Charlie said on the HD chat. The tech person verified with two other supervisors that my 6000 is safe for the new channels. I was told MPEG-4 is only going to be used for HD-locals and new channels later. Now I am really confused. Will my 6000 and 61.5 dish receive the new Feb. 1st channels?

Do some research around here on the site. You'll find out that the 6000 is not mpeg4 capable. It requires a different chip to what's currently in your box.

Also the call centers and supervisiors don't always know what's going on, they're the ones to ALWAYS receive the information LAST.

Sorry that you were misslead!

I was also told today the new channels will be MPEG-2 and my 6000 receiver will see the new Feb 1st HD channels. This is the reason I am not clear on the 6000 future.

A hacked 6000 will also not see the new channels, because the (hold on let me check my official P SMITH dictionary) "Service type" is set to MPEG4, meaning the Dish 6000 will ignore the new channels.

PS to Claude, I have been trying to call you for two days now. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes they will be in MPEG2, however the 6000 will not be able to see them, only MPEG4 boxes will receive them. :(

Thanks Scott...................This is why I almost fell over when Dish Network HDTV tech help told me my 6000 was good to go on the new Feb. 1st HD channel lineup. I have been following the breaking Dish Network HD news here at SatelliteGuys and I asked two times to have this 6000 information verified. I will keep reading the news here at the forums. :)

OK, Here's What Might Happen

Jeffdbs said:
I was also told today the new channels will be MPEG-2 and my 6000 receiver will see the new Feb 1st HD channels. This is the reason I am not clear on the 6000 future.

This could very well be correct. If the channels are actually in MPEG2 HDLite, there is nothing to prevent E* to relent and let everyone receive them for several months until there are enough MPEG4 receivers to generate revenue for E*. Charlie did not get E* where it is now by being stupid. Several weeks ago, one of the guys that is quite knowledgeable posted that the new channels would be MPEG2 HDLite for the first several months and would then switch to MPEG4 after E* gets their MPEG4 decoders working efficiently and their MPEG4 receivers deployed. The other possibility is that Charlie would be loyal to us old time 6000 users and update our software so that we could receive the new MPEG2 pseudo MPEG4 channels. Since this would produce much rage and anger from many 811, 921, and 942 owners, the smart choice is to allow all of us HD users to upgrade to the new $20.00 HD pak, generate much needed revenue for E*, and make many of us happy, and switch over to MPEG4 in the summer when we have had a chance to upgrade to the new MPEG4 receivers. I am pleased with the $299 lease offer and will upgrade as soon as E* will let me, which will probably be in the spring or later based on the late releases of the recent E* receivers.

wouldn't it just require a software download to the 6000 to ignore MP4 tags and treat them like MP2? In other words, on a computer, you can tell any application to launch when .doc is the extension, even though .doc is attached to WORD. All the 6000 would need to do would be to ignore the tags for now.

Of course, when true MP4 hits, the codec would probably either lock up the box or give a black signal, but for now, I don't see why it couldn't do this.

iKramerica said:
wouldn't it just require a software download to the 6000 to ignore MP4 tags and treat them like MP2? In other words, on a computer, you can tell any application to launch when .doc is the extension, even though .doc is attached to WORD. All the 6000 would need to do would be to ignore the tags for now.

Of course, when true MP4 hits, the codec would probably either lock up the box or give a black signal, but for now, I don't see why it couldn't do this.
Makes sense to me - unless that 'service type' is locked into the MPEG-2 chip. :(

JohnC said:
This could very well be correct. If the channels are actually in MPEG2 HDLite, there is nothing to prevent E* to relent and let everyone receive them for several months until there are enough MPEG4 receivers to generate revenue for E*. Charlie did not get E* where it is now by being stupid. Several weeks ago, one of the guys that is quite knowledgeable posted that the new channels would be MPEG2 HDLite for the first several months and would then switch to MPEG4 after E* gets their MPEG4 decoders working efficiently and their MPEG4 receivers deployed. The other possibility is that Charlie would be loyal to us old time 6000 users and update our software so that we could receive the new MPEG2 pseudo MPEG4 channels. Since this would produce much rage and anger from many 811, 921, and 942 owners, the smart choice is to allow all of us HD users to upgrade to the new $20.00 HD pak, generate much needed revenue for E*, and make many of us happy, and switch over to MPEG4 in the summer when we have had a chance to upgrade to the new MPEG4 receivers. I am pleased with the $299 lease offer and will upgrade as soon as E* will let me, which will probably be in the spring or later based on the late releases of the recent E* receivers.
Sounds very good to me.....now if I had the power to put you in charge, I would. I can't understand why dish would go ahead with these fake Mpeg 4 ch's when it's not ready yet. When it's ready then go for it....if it's not, let everyone enjoy the ch's. I would pay the extra 5 bucks for the new ch's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)