HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Monday, May 09, 2005
http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/7589/
Dish Network to Pay $50,000 for Violating State No Call Law
Under an agreement with Attorney General Jay Nixon

http://www.infozine.com/news/topics/op/topicsView/tid/7/St. Charles, Mo. - infoZine - Satellite television provider EchoStar Communications - which does business as Dish Network - will pay a civil penalty of $50,000 for telemarketing calls made to Missourians on the state's No Call list in an agreement reached with Attorney General Jay Nixon. Dish Network is the nation's second-largest satellite television company.

The assurance of voluntary compliance, filed in St. Charles County Circuit Court, alleges that EchoStar and its authorized dealers placed telemarketing calls soliciting the sale of satellite television services since July 2001 to consumers on Missouri's No Call list. As part of the agreement approved Wednesday by Circuit Court Judge Lucy D. Rauch, EchoStar and its authorized dealers will cease calling Missourians on the list, and will provide Nixon's office with a report of measures the company has taken to assure future compliance with state law.

"Missouri's No Call law was implemented to assure Missourians that they could sit down to the dinner table without constant, uninvited interruptions by incessant telemarketing calls," Nixon said. "Through our aggressive enforcement efforts, Missouri citizens can be assured that we will continue to take whatever steps are necessary to protect their rights and privacy."

EchoStar will pay a civil penalty of $50,000 to the Missouri Merchandising Practices Revolving Fund, and any future violations could cost the company up to $2,000 per call.

Currently, more than 1.9 million Missouri households have signed up for the Missouri No Call list. Missouri residents not yet on the list can have their numbers included or can file a complaint regarding a No Call violation via the Attorney General's Web site or by calling 1-866-NOCALL1.

To date, Nixon's office has obtained more than $1,248,000 from businesses for violating Missouri's No Call law.

I don't understand why people are such slaves to their phones anyway. I have caller ID and if I don't know who's calling, I don't answer. Even if I do know who it is, I will not answer it if I am eating dinner or watching a movie in my home theater. If it's a DVD that I can pause, I may reconsider, but the phone is just not that important to me, but my roommate jumps up everytime it rings. Pavlov anyone?

The government is saying they want to help the consumer with this "DO NOT CALL" list :rolleyes: ,but its just another way for the government to make money :mad: . Why not give some of that money to the people that the companys called :) .

thiggin2 said:
The government is saying they want to help the consumer with this "DO NOT CALL" list :rolleyes: ,but its just another way for the government to make money :mad: . Why not give some of that money to the people that the companys called :) .

I think the Do Not Call list is the best thing the State of Missouri has ever done for me. It really works, and it's so great not to be bothered by annoying sales calls. I'd be surprised if they're actually making any money off of it, considering all the time and effort they have to put into enforcement. If they are making money, more power to them, I consider it well worth it.

As far as people that have to answer the phone, my wife is the same way. I won't answer it unless it's someone I want to talk to at that particular time. If they leave a message, I get a second chance to decide if it's something I want to address. My wife will drop whatever she's doing, and if she can't, she gets mad at me for not answering. I think it's genetic - some women just love to talk.

SteveC
St. Louis Mo.

GaryPen said:
The thing I find amazing is that people will *69 a number they don't recognize. Why would somebody want to talk to somebody they don't know!

Didn't curiosity kill the cat? !protest

nelson-preview.gif

HAW HAW!

Only use a cell phone here. I also don't 'jump' to answer the phone. That's why I have voicemail, I'll just call them back. Also have different ring-tones for different callers. Oh, and no telemarketing calls on my cell phone anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)