Dish Network to Unveil DVR Video Archiver

CrunchGear said:
Dish Network to Unveil DVR Video Archiver, Piss Off Networks
Uh, I think the ship has already sailed on that last bit ;).

I guess this means we won't be able to archive by Christmas, huh?

What I don't like about the approach that E* will undoubtedly take (the external HD will be theirs and not any other) is that the buy in price will probably be upwards of $200 or so. I can get a 250 GB external hard drive right now for $70.

I am prepared to be disappointed.

"virtually unlimited" would imply that we could store the content on expandable media (or on a NAS) it's not worded to read like it's a single external hard drive. A 250gig drive would not allow a ton of HD storage (~25 hours) that's enough for one complete season of your favorite show... I'm hoping this means activated ethernet port to archive to a NAS.

NAS would be fine, but that's getting away from what a typical joe-blow 622 user would have or even know about. I think it'll be just external hard drives. If you need more storage, just buy more HDs. That's unlimited too, well within budget constraints.

I'm hoping this means activated ethernet port to archive to a NAS.
The picture on the web site Scott linked to shows the external storage being connected via the USB port on the front panel of a ViP622. I'm hoping for other uses of the Ethernet port... :)

Don't they mean "piss off consumers?" Because that's exactly what's going to happen if we can't just plug in our own hard drives.

Why not just open that LAN port and let the users connect it to the PC network to copy files and as far as the USB port goes don't sell storage devices but let us use our own resources.
Just make a patch that lets it read the files for any USB drive to 'do as we want'

Whatever.

Another Dish product that misses the holiday sales season.

So what else is new?

Presumably the new Pocket Dish units and the external storage device doohickie will both roll out at CES together.

And, they'll be available in quantity by May.

Joy.

Are the guys running Dish product development just moonlighting from their day jobs at FEMA?

fwiw, that picture sure looks identical to the Western Digital External Drive I currently have - UNLESS the drives have a special bios code that the 622 will only recognize THAT BIOS CODE from a special model WD Drive made especially for Dish and not available through normal consumer channels (always possible), I don't see why a normal external drive would not work.

The picture on the web site Scott linked to shows the external storage being connected via the USB port on the front panel of a ViP622. I'm hoping for other uses of the Ethernet port... :)

well right now, I can copy Jpg's to my DVR from the USB port and view them on the TV, does that count?

what else could you do.

An External DVD Burner option would be WAY cool.. hell to apise them, how about just making it work with the DVR that made it.

Have any of you looked at the mpg4 files that get transfered to the pocket dish?

You can move them to any drive you want and bring them back to the PD to play them but they use a 128 or 256 bit encryption algorithm.

So assuming the files E* lets you copy to external storage are the same (and why would they invent two whole different schemes) they won't care how or where you copy them because it will take the receiver with the proper key to play them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts