Dish Network University Package

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Okay. What I was talking about was a long time ago. I work at Georgia Tech, and we were once a Dish customer. One of the basic-basic packages they had at that time was labeled "University Package". It might have been a custom thing they did just for us.

Okay. What I was talking about was a long time ago. I work at Georgia Tech, and we were once a Dish customer. One of the basic-basic packages they had at that time was labeled "University Package". It might have been a custom thing they did just for us.

I checked the commercial site and couldn't find anything but I will ask some of my contacts in that department and see what I can find out.

May be referring to some of the public interest channels like
brigham young young univ
university of california tv
university house
research channel
These channels are provided free

So, a Prison package. Interesting to see how much we are paying for prisoners to watch all digital crystal clear satellite TV....... :rolleyes:

So, a Prison package. Interesting to see how much we are paying for prisoners to watch all digital crystal clear satellite TV....... :rolleyes:
I'm sure they dont have a huge programming package ;)
Heck they might have just the PI or religious channels only :)

It probally saves us money by allowing the prison to operate with fewer guards. I'm sure the Warden figures he would rather have the inmates chilling in their cells watching TV instead of killing his gaurds that are far outnumbered.;)

The university where I work (not the one in my avatar) has a contract with a local FIOS provider.

We have a standard package with certain channels blocked as specified by the university.

Before this agreement, each individual would have to arrange for cable TV in their own dorm room and pay for it just like any other sub, now we provide it over IP to everyone on campus.

So.... Institutions can have 'a la carte' , but the average home subscriber can't?

Somewhat... not true a la carte though. I work at a school that has Dish Network, and when we set it up is we had to pay for a "base pack" which includes locals and the free shopping networks, then we had to have one additional pack. The additional packs that we could choose were a "Learning Pack" (which included Discovery, Science, History, H2, Learning, etc), Variety Packs (three different news packages, one was the Fox News pack, one was a CNN Pack and one was MSNBC and also included a handful of other channels that the parent company also owned), a News Pack (which were all additional news channels), a Kids channel pack, then a handful of Sports Packs. There were also some others that didn't interest us at all. Each of the different packs were $12. Then there was a separate ESPN pack for $20, which included ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic ESPN U.

Somewhat... not true a la carte though. I work at a school that has Dish Network, and when we set it up is we had to pay for a "base pack" which includes locals and the free shopping networks, then we had to have one additional pack. The additional packs that we could choose were a "Learning Pack" (which included Discovery, Science, History, H2, Learning, etc), Variety Packs (three different news packages, one was the Fox News pack, one was a CNN Pack and one was MSNBC and also included a handful of other channels that the parent company also owned), a News Pack (which were all additional news channels), a Kids channel pack, then a handful of Sports Packs. There were also some others that didn't interest us at all. Each of the different packs were $12. Then there was a separate ESPN pack for $20, which included ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic ESPN U.
...which doesn't jive at all with the linked document.

Wow. I know cheap cable gives the school's free cable. So shame on Dish!!!!

Wow. I know cheap cable gives the school's free cable. So shame on Dish!!!!

First, it was NEVER free, that cost was built in to what everyone pays, I know, I was an alternate on the commission for our County when Cable first came in.

Second, complete apples and oranges. Cable at the time was given an exclusive right to the area, (partly to encourage complete built out of the cable lines) meaning no other cable company could compete. Why do you think cost got to be so out of hand? For that privilege, Cable had to provide "free service."

Third, It no longer is free for our municipality, I am not sure about the school district. It ended when other companies were allowed to come in, like ATT Uverse.

Why would Dish give "Free" service to schools? To let Cable get out of their agreements?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)