Dish Network VS. Time Warner

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
This is my first post here after reading and lurking for awhile. I am currently sampling DishTv's service as I consider switching to them from Time Warner Cable. So far I like DishTv, however it seems that their signal is a little overcompressed. I've heard that Time Warner is supposed to be upgrading in my area (Columbus, Ohio) so that all of the channels are digital. For those who have had both, which do you prefer and why? If I leave Time Warner I will REALLY miss On-Demand, especially the on-demand channel that came with each premium channel/s. Any input would be appreciated!

When I had TWC, before I switched to Dish, I really enjoyed the VOD channels. They were a nice bonus, and to this day, that is the only thing I still miss from my move to Dish. Regarding PQ, I'm no expert, and I do only have a 27" tv connected to my DVR via S-video, but I've got no complaints regarding Dish PQ.

I've recently switched from Dish to Comcast. I have a 3412 box that uses all digital signals. The true digitial channels look about the same as those on Dish. HDTV about the same. The old analog that are converted to digital is a different matter. There are times that the picture will often freeze for a second or two and then recover while the audio keeps going. I see this happen almost every day.

UGH, watching the hockey game on OLN and imo the picture on Time Warner is better and it's in analog while OLN on DishTV is "100% digital." I'm really torn here. It seems to me that the DishTV feed is way too compressed.

Same old argument: A good analog signal will whip an over-compressed digital
picture any day, for sports!

I just switched to Dish from TW. I got so sick of the crap with TW, lost signals, crappy pictures, boxes shutting off for "updates" even though it only happened since living here, and no where else.......just got sick of it.

This is what I always say....call TWC, and listen to the first part of the message....there is ALWAYS an outage somewhere. ALWAYS.

The signal on the dish is great, and I can see what you mean sometimes about the signals being overcompressed, but I have no major probs.

Ok...I can speak from actual experience on this topic. Having not only been a customer, but an installer for both systems here in Ohio. Dish is sooooooo far ahead of Warner that it's not even funny. Their DVRs are a joke. A lousy 35 or 36 hours of storage...BLECH!! And let's not even get into the myth they perpetuate about their digital system. Too many people seem to think that once they get a digital receiver from TW that ALL of their channels are in digital. Surprise!!! Guess what...only the channels above 100 are.

The only thing I've found impressive from TW is the Road Runner. Definately the centerpiece of the whole operation. Transfer rates out the wazzoo!! Certainly nukes the hell out of my DSL.

I had TWC in Columbus when I first came to town years ago, Switched to Americast ( Now WOW ), then moved and had Insight. So, I've seen them all.

At that time, in my opinion, I rate them in this order, taking into consideration, outages, PQ, etc.

1 Insight - Never had an outage, and good quality picture.
2 Americast ( WOW ) - Rare outages, Good quality Picture.
3 TWC - Dang thing was out all the time, PQ was always snowy, heard the same excuse that they are upgrading lines for over a year.

Then switched to DISH, and have never looked back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)