Dish Network's 'Eclectic' HDTV Lineup

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.tvpredictions.com/echoreview122206.htm

Washington, D.C. (December 22, 2006) -- EchoStar's Dish Network has more national HDTV channels than any other TV provider.

But if you're a HD owner who now has cable or DIRECTV, should you switch providers and sign up with Dish?

Here is the TVPredictions.com review.

(Note: I tested the EchoStar ViP 211 for this review; it's a HD receiver, but not a HD DVR.)

Pros
1. Variety

There's no beating the sheer number of HD channels. Since EchoStar offers the 15-channel Voom lineup, there's always something interesting on. From the oddly perverse Ultra HD fashion channel, which features long-legged freaky-looking models doing the "catwalk" on Full Frontal Fashion, to Rave HD, which serves up stunning shots of top musicians in concert, the EchoStar HD lineup is an intriguing eclectic mix. (I never thought European basketball could be so watchable, as seen on the World Sports channel.)

Ever see a "catwalk" in high-def?

In addition to the Voom lineup, it's nice to see such popular channels as National Geographic HD and Food Network HD in high-def.

2. Picture
EchoStar is using the advanced MPEG4 compression technology for local HD channels -- and it's paying off. The primetime network programs look sharp and offer eye-popping detail. (Note: DIRECTV's MPEG4 transmission of local HD channels looks equally as good.) While the quality of the national HD channels sometimes varies, the picture is very good overall and compares favorably to any other provider.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cons
1. HDTV Channels Hard to Find

EchoStar's channel lineup is both amazing -- and a maze. The high-def networks are relegated to the end of the on-screen menu and they are sometimes separated by non-HD public access channels and Pay Per View options.

To make matters worse, the HD channels begin with the number 9420. Not exactly convenient. For instance, to watch the World Sports high-def channel, you have to remember that it's "channel 9477" and then punch in the numbers, "9477." DIRECTV's high-def lineup begins with the number "70" and goes to 79. Much easier to navigate and remember.

2. No Voom "Magnet" Channels
While the 15-channel Voom HD lineup has something for everyone, it lacks that true magnet channel that would bring you back time and time again. The channels cater to special interests, which is nice but they won't attract a large following.

Summary:
EchoStar's HD lineup is fun and overflowing with choice. If your cable or satellite operator is still carrying fewer than 10 national HDTV channels, it's worth checking out, particularly if you can get your local HD channels from EchoStar. The satcaster is offering local HD in less than 50 percent of the nation now, but hopes to expand coverage in 2007.

Also important to note: EchoStar said today that its HDTV package will cost $20 a month -- in addition to the basic programming package price.

I would call that a fair assessment. Although the HD is not as Eye Popping as it once was. If swanni thinks its it good now, he should have seen it before.

Yeah I don't think he has always gotten his info right and I have e-mailed him letting him know that. But this last article he did was not bad but I only put his information on here due to it's Dish related is all. Just like anything else is all and just gives someone else take on things just like anyone else on here.

Locals are true MPEG4 as is Starz HD NFL and I think National Geographic but i could be mistaken on that one.

My understanding is it depends on what satellite you're getting the signal off (129 or 61.5).

I think all the locals are MPEG4 but for me (61.5) NFL-HD, Starz-HD and there is a rumour FOOD-HD and HGTV-HD as well are all MPEG4.

And yes, when no one is moving the picture is stunning on those channels (I'm being serious). As soon as you get reasonably fast motion, though, the picture falls apart (blocking, pixelization, whatever you want to call it) due, I'm told, to the starved bitrate. P***es the he!! out of me but I'm sure D* is no better.

=NLK=

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)